Yo. So, it seems a 5150 goes for under a grand on eBay. I've heard that they're good, or some such, anywho, this is close to what I'd be paying for a B-52 AT-212. Does this 5150 do good cleans? Could it produce a Stevie Ray Vaughan tone, if perhaps I used a pedal (TS-9?)? Is it a metal only amp? Yep yep. Is it WORTH that price? Mhmm. Anything you know at all about them, share. It seems they're discontinued. Is there anywhere an enterprising young Detroit person might try one out? Used amp store? Heh? Thanks...

Oh, and if this should be in the "which amp" thread, I apologize. It seems it shouldn't, as I am not comparing any amps.
cleans hahahahaha
Gear:
Blackstar HT-5 Half Stack
Damage control Solid Metal
Boss Flanger
Electro-Harmonix Q-Tron+
Dunlop 535Q Wah
General Guitar Gadgets ITS8 Overdrive
Marshall MS-4 Ministack

Guitars:

PRS Custom 24

Washburn D10 Quilted Bubinga
yes it does good cleans if you know how to eq it right

not it wont do SRV, maybe with an OD-9, but it wouldn't be the greatest.

its more or less a metal/hard rock amp. what it was made for.

it's very much worth the price. it's a great amp.

it's disscontinued yes, but no also. it was EVH signature amp, and he uses the numbers, 5150. so when his contract with peavey ended, he took the name. so peavey re-named the amps the 6505 series. exact same thing, new name.
Quote by ClassicAxe

consider anything derek suggests, He IS a gain VVhore you know
Quote by jj1565
derek, will you go out wt me?

President Gain Whore -group on profile
Your decision is going to depend on exactly what you want. For the same price as the B-52 you are going to be getting a used 5150 with no warranty. The B-52 has a 5 year warranty. So would you rather go new or used?

From what I hear, the B-52 totally changes when you throw some JJ's into it. I haven't changed the tubes at all and I still love it. The B-52 is a pretty versatile amp in my opinion. It can do a lot of different tones but I don't see it getting as heavy as the 5150. I would probably go for the B-52 if you are playing stuff other than metal. If you are going to be playing mostly metal, then go with the 5150/6505.

Good luck
lmao, there are about five billion mother****ing 5150 threads out there.

On a side note, throwing new tubes into an amp will completely change it in general. Replacing the stock tubes in a 5150 also make it sound 'amazing' etc.

Keep in mind that Warranties are just Warranties and you know, if the amp is a piece of **** it will break, you'll send it back under warranty... then you gotta wait for it to get back.. THEN it can still break again, etc, over and over again. I hardly ever see peavey 5150s with problems but I've heard multiple instances of B-52 problems.

Peavey 5150 = 6505. If you want to try one out go ahead and try out a Peavey 6505 at a store and then buy the 5150 off the net if you like it. Its a rock/metal geared amp. It wasnt designed with a dedicated clean channel, however, the 'rhythm' channel can be used for cleans if you turn the gain down. I wouldn't go as far to say that its got great cleans, if you reall ywant cleans w/ the amp it has it, and for the price you really can't beat it.

I'd hardly say a b-52 is more versitile...
^ what geno said.

I used to own a modded 6505 (5150) and it most everything quite well. so yeah, just learn how to EQ the thing or whatever and ur golden.
The biggest B-52 problem was the Reverb not working or sucking. From what I have been told, they fixed that in the 2005 and newer models though.
OK from my experience in owning a 5150 it is a metal amp thats what it is designed to do.

But Your after something similar to SRVs tone. SO why dont you look into a Marshall JCM 800. You cna pick up combos on Ebay for close to the same price as a 5150 and add a tubescreamer to it and you will get SRVs tone pretty good
Member of UG's Gain \/\/hores - pm gpderek09 to join
Ok, thanks everyone. What are JJ tubes? Would it matter what tubes I would replace the stock B-52 tubes, if they're relatively expensive? Mmm.

Can the JCM do SRV and metal/heavy metal (with a pedal)? Also, does it get good cleans? Thanks.
Last edited by oddling8 at Jun 15, 2006,
Quote by Blinded0n1sidE
^ SRV played thru Fenders.

I know he also used the JCM 800 as well though.

And yes the JCM 800 will get SRVs tone and with a Overdrive pedal it can do metal as well.
Member of UG's Gain \/\/hores - pm gpderek09 to join
The 5150 doesn't have a clean channel. It has a rhythm and lead, and both are intended for driven tones.

That being said, you can get useable cleans out of the rhythm channel. They're far from spectacular, but useable. I find a chorus pedal in front of the amp actually helps brighten up the clean tone pretty drastically. I have a friend who has one and swapped the preamp tubes for 12AT7s instead to lower the gain. He can now get a pretty decent clean tone, and still gets tons of drive.

Now whether the amp is suitable for SRV tones, I'd say offhand that it CAN do them, but probably not the best choice of amp for that type of music. Like I wouldn't buy a Fender Twin to play metal, you shouldn't buy a metal amp to play blues. I'd say a Fender would be a better choice than the 5150 / 6505.
Guitars: Custom Lado Earth 2000-3, Custom ESP Explorer, BC Rich KKV, Gibson LP Studio, Greco SG, El Degas Stratocaster, Agile AL-3000, LTD EX-351

Rig:Marshall JVM410H + Marshall 1960A, Boss Noise Suppressor
^ well i think he's after an all trick poney.
Quote by ClassicAxe

consider anything derek suggests, He IS a gain VVhore you know
Quote by jj1565
derek, will you go out wt me?

President Gain Whore -group on profile
I can't comment much about the amp but if you want to check it out in the detroit area there isn't many places. The only place near there I can think of is Marshall Music which is in Allen Park. It's nice to see another person from the Detroit/Downriver area.
Quote by GiantRaven
I'm sure theres a Nigerian king just waiting for you to reply to his email
Quote by Chimaira
I can't comment much about the amp but if you want to check it out in the detroit area there isn't many places. The only place near there I can think of is Marshall Music which is in Allen Park. It's nice to see another person from the Detroit/Downriver area.

Learned something new today, didn't know there was a Marshall Music in Allen Park. For all my music needs, guitar center in roseville works fine.
Yea, it's been there for a long time, It's really close to my house. I usually go to the GC in Allen Park/Canton but GC doesn't carry peaveys.
Quote by GiantRaven
I'm sure theres a Nigerian king just waiting for you to reply to his email
Guitar Center is the devil.

Its the Wal-Mart of music stores.

Plus 90% of the time the "salesmen" dont know jack sh1t about anything.

Quote by Chimaira

Haha, twice I've almost gone to that Marshall music, only to find out it's closed at 6 PM. Damned shame! I'm rather new to the area. I usually go to the Allen Park Guitar Center for guitar related needs. Every visit is progressively better since the grand opening. Nice place.
I have a 5150 and it's awesome for metal/rock, but cleans and SRV stuff it will definately not do.

Look at the classic series amps from peavey instead. they do AWESOME clean/blues stuff.
ok, i recomend this amp to alot of people, but i think you should check out the orange rocker series, gay name, but they are very versitile, mine can do metal easily when i put a screamer infront of, it, and on the clean channel with a screamer it can do srv ^^ check out the head if your into metal.
"i disagree, I play on my own and if I had to play through my avt for another minute I'd probably poke a fork into the input, with the hope of both electrocuting myself and destroying the amp in one fell swoop."
-Dave_mc

Best video ever