im thinking about getting a new amp, for playing live and stuff (im playing in a concert in july). the amp i have now is like 15W and i want to get something bigger. so:

1) Should I get somewhere around 100W? What size of a crowd will that be for?

2) I'm thinking of getting a half stack. Good Idea or Bad?

3) Any really good amps? I don't want a Crate allthough they are relatively inexpensive, because I don't like the sound, and my friend has one and he says he hates it.

Thanks.
~Timepheonix
do you mean a solid state half stack? most people on this site will say youd be better off getting a small tube combo
Quote by Soma3009
I came up with this kick ass riff on my ukelele when I was 12. Find out two years later, it was smoke on the water. Got my hopes and dreams killed..

Quote by saintjimmy99
you used the right form of "their!" i commend you sir!

this may seem stupid..but what does solid state mean?

btw, i play a lot of rock/hard rock/thrash/metal....
Well, Whats your budget man. I use a Crate RFX 65 watt..sweet amp, especially if you like High gain. Cleans are great too, and you can get a Real nice old school rock sound. Delays are nice but the effects aren't too great but they're not bad when your feelin like messin around...But that'll still run you like 350 bucks lol. I'm lookin into that Randall Halfstack on musiciansfriend for 500 bucks..and they have a crate for 500 too. As for tube, you got peavey and mashall are the big ones...But i have yet to play on a Mashall that I like. Peavey ROCKS, I played on my Friends Bands Guitarist XXL half stack....BAM! lol crazy gain super loud and its was like...on 2 lol.... Yea...i started rambling ha...Hope this helped in some sort of way o.O
i found a Peavey Valvking 212 and a Marshall mg100hdfxmg412 slant cab half stack....i can't decided which one is better. thanks for all your help guys.
Quote by TimePheonix
im thinking about getting a new amp, for playing live and stuff (im playing in a concert in july). the amp i have now is like 15W and i want to get something bigger. so:

1) Should I get somewhere around 100W? What size of a crowd will that be for?

2) I'm thinking of getting a half stack. Good Idea or Bad?

3) Any really good amps? I don't want a Crate allthough they are relatively inexpensive, because I don't like the sound, and my friend has one and he says he hates it.

Thanks.
~Timepheonix

...ONE AMP IMMEDIATLEY COMES TO MIND;
Behringer V-Ampire LX1200H Digital Modeling head (120 Watt or 60x2 Stereo) , it's relatively inexpensive...& It can sound like Nearly any amp you could ever want it to sound like...I Have an LX1200H Vampire Head sitting on a Peavey 5150 412 Slant Cabinet right next to me...I Love it...It's great...
R.I.P.:
Randy Rhoads (December 6, 1956 – March 19, 1982)
Dimebag Darrell (August 20, 1966 – December 8, 2004)
Les Paul (June 9, 1915 – August 13, 2009)
Ronnie James Dio (July 10, 1942 – May 16, 2010)
So far all of the amps mentioned are garbage except for the Peavey Valveking, which I don't know a whole lot about, and the MG100DFXH, which is decent.

You really don't need a halfstack. There's no need for something that loud unless you plan on playing a huge, open area that doesn't have a PA system. If that what you're playing, then go for a halfstack, if you're playing smallish gigs indoors or even big gigs where there's a PA system, you can get by with a 50w. But still, if you get any solid state and have to crank the volume up, it's going to sound like sh*t.

If you want good tone and high volume, go tube. You can EASILY get by with a 50w tube amp. It will be plenty loud enough for just about anything. I don't know what the best tube amp for you would be, but I'm sure one of the other kind UGer's here will recommend you a few.

Edit: Also, to the guy who said that his 65w Crate was a great amp; You're tone deaf. I tried that same POS Crate and you know what? The Marshall MG series blew it out of the water. How's that for sad?

Please topic creator, don't get a Crate. They're trash. I wouldn't really even recommend the Marshall MG for giggin either unless you don't have access to anything but Crates and Marshall MG's.
My Gear:

Washburn WI14 Electric
Washburn D10s Acoustic
Marshall MG100HDFXR Special Edition
Marshall MG412AR Special Edition

Quote by Danno13
^Xenn is my favorite MG owner EVAR.

Quote by jj1565
^ Xenn fav MG user evar
Last edited by Xenn99 at Jun 15, 2006,
Hey, marvelboy_04, nice icon douch(e)
Quote by sethp
listen to RideTheAnger, he is wise beyond his years.

A recent study shows that 92% of all teenagers have moved on to rap music. Put this in your profile if you are one of the 8% who stayed with the real music
Quote by TimePheonix
i found a Peavey Valvking 212 and a Marshall mg100hdfxmg412 slant cab half stack....i can't decided which one is better. thanks for all your help guys.

dont get an mg.. its solid state and it sucks and its ****. get like a 40-50 watt all tube amp, and it will last you long, it will have the same power as a 100watt solid state and itll sound great kranked. a solidstate will usually start sounding ****ty when the volume is over 4 or 5. get a friggin tube.
and dont get blind about it being marshall, it doesnt mean anything. and dont get blind about it being half stack. those are just hard to carry around, and since you dont need like 500 watts a combo will do fine.
amen.

get some peavey combo tube amp or a marshall jcm 800 or something. vox ad50vt (you could get a higher power version of this too) would do great too and it isnt as expensive as peavs and marshalls

and for crate, i threw up on my keyboard when you mentioned it. it sucks **** too
^And also the Vox is a solid state, which you just said are crappy. Hmm...do I sense someone jumping on the "Marshall MG amps suck" bandwagon?

I do agree with you on one thing though; A tube combo will be much better than any solid state.
My Gear:

Washburn WI14 Electric
Washburn D10s Acoustic
Marshall MG100HDFXR Special Edition
Marshall MG412AR Special Edition

Quote by Danno13
^Xenn is my favorite MG owner EVAR.

Quote by jj1565
^ Xenn fav MG user evar
Quote by Xenn99
^And also the Vox is a solid state, which you just said are crappy. Hmm...do I sense someone jumping on the "Marshall MG amps suck" bandwagon?

I do agree with you on one thing though; A tube combo will be much better than any solid state.

vox is a modeling amp, which means its trying to find a tube amp sound. its not as good as marsh jcm 800 or something but ask anyone here which is better mg or valvetronix. you can guess the answer.

plus ive tested both. and the vt was actually pretty killer.
Quote by RideTheAnger13
Hey, marvelboy_04, nice icon douch(e)

my bad, changed!
Quote by Soma3009
I came up with this kick ass riff on my ukelele when I was 12. Find out two years later, it was smoke on the water. Got my hopes and dreams killed..

Quote by saintjimmy99

can someone tell me if the AD50VT is a tube amp or a solid state??
Quote by bassmo_part2
Embryodead even if she was the hottest thing on the planet, there are lines you just don't cross and on my side of the line we don't finger our sisters.

Official Member of the I <3 Schecter's Club, PM Schecter-06 to join
Quote by Member
it means cheap, not tube, 99.99% they sound like crap

End yourself...please, spare us having to do it

Solid state means digital sound. It's a computer processing it rather than it going straight through to the speaker.

People say their not as good, but I believe they are only halted in their growth by the fact that no one wants to give them a chance.
Quote by longview
can someone tell me if the AD50VT is a tube amp or a solid state??

its a solid state amp with a single tube in it. its what you call a hybrid. its also a modeling amp whicj digitally models the sounds of other amps like the ac30
Quote by Soma3009

Quote by saintjimmy99

Quote by AmIEvil?
a solidstate will usually start sounding ****ty when the volume is over 4 or 5. get a friggin tube.

I dunno who told you that but I have a line 6 flextone III and it sounds good on 1 5 or 10
Tubes however will sound different at different volumes. Since their analog, and the more power you put through them it changes the tone.
Quote by marvelboy_04
its a solid state amp with a single tube in it. its what you call a hybrid. its also a modeling amp whicj digitally models the sounds of other amps like the ac30

is that good or not?? that's the next amp I'm getting, and your scaring the sh1t outa me

and would that make it better or worse than the AC30??
...........sorry for not staying on topic
Quote by bassmo_part2
Embryodead even if she was the hottest thing on the planet, there are lines you just don't cross and on my side of the line we don't finger our sisters.

Official Member of the I <3 Schecter's Club, PM Schecter-06 to join
Solid state amps, gets it's tone from processing it through electronics. tube amps get it's tone from running power through vacuum sealed glass tubes. most of those amps listed are solid state, and imho mostly crap.

If your budget allows, look into a peavey 5150/6505, or a peavey xxx. And take this thread to gg&a you'll get much more helpful advice there.
stick to a solid state until you know enough about tube amps. roland cubes are good a cube 60 would be great for gigs, jamming anything.
Quote by Johnljones7443
Shredding is having control over your instrument and being free of technical obstacles so your music is not limited by your playing ability.

Quote by Aidy Damage
Classical Gas is when you fart and it smells like the inside of a violin. EVERYONE knows that. n00bs...