I am having a very hard time learning to play, my left hand just doesn't want to cooperate! Are there any tips anyone can give me to help me out a little bit?
practice, simple really
Fender Jim Root Signature Telecaster
Martin Westside Custom Edition
Peavey 6505
Peavey XXX Cab
ISP Decimator Prorack G
Sennheiser EW172 G3
Sennheiser wireless IEM
Ibanez TS9DX
Boss TU-2 Tuner
MY BAND:
http://www.myspace.com/thedirtyyouth
Not to be a total penis, but maybe you're left handed? I know my right hand is horrible with frets. Oh, and how long have you been playing? That would be handy information.

[IN PHIL WE TRUST]

Quote by Trowzaa
I only play bots. Bots never abandon me. (´・ω・`)

You could always try using your right hand. I don't know how well it will work, but you could see if it will work better. Um....I learned by doing a whole bunch of scale kinda things and REALLY easy ass songs until I could do them pretty fast. You could also learn a few different songs in Drop D, using mainly the last 3 strings, just to get your fingers used to hit.
That's about all I have. I don't know how much it will help, though.
Good luck.
xx_The.Epic.Of.Insanity_xx
^Yeah, Drop-D is good for beginning too. Strange that you, noob, would think of something like this.

[IN PHIL WE TRUST]

Quote by Trowzaa

Quote by arson714
I am having a very hard time learning to play, my left hand just doesn't want to cooperate! Are there any tips anyone can give me to help me out a little bit?

No one's fingers are made to play right out of the box. You have to TRAIN them
to do what you want. Everyone does. Have some patience and work on it
slowly and carefully.

In fact, this is a process that never really ends. Eventually you learn harder stuff
and you need to train them or you improve stuff you already know and need to
train them.
Quote by SteveHouse
Not to be a total penis, but maybe you're left handed? I know my right hand is horrible with frets. Oh, and how long have you been playing? That would be handy information.

I've been playing for a few days :P as far as I know I am right handed, does this change with guitar?
Everyone has problems when they first start with their fingers. The best way to build up your fretting capabilities is to practice scales. They are a great way to improve fret and finger position. Just pick a scale, and learn it. Then play it. Over and over and over. After you master the scale shake things up a little bit by adding in hammer on's and pull off, speeding up slowing down, etc. And yes the guitar does change accoridng to how you play, right handed or left. If you were to play left handed on the guitar you have now, all the strings would be upside down! But hell if jimi hendrix can do it you can to i guess.
Quote by arson714
I've been playing for a few days :P as far as I know I am right handed, does this change with guitar?

Handedness can possibly change with anything. I know people who write left handed but do other stuff right handed, and what not... look at baseball players who throw right/bat left and vise versa.

But if you've only been playing a few days, you're gonna feel awkward. Just stick with it.

[IN PHIL WE TRUST]

Quote by Trowzaa

Dude...I write left handed, and I do basically everything else with my right. I play a right handed guitar, throw baseballs right handed, football, ect.
yeah.. after about 2-3 weeks youll have it down. After about a month you should be able to play notes and finger them at the same time.