Can someone explain to me or lead me in the direction of somewhere I can find an explanation for a little info on chord progressions? Like, the roman numerals people use sometimes.. iv iii ii i etc etc

Some help would be good. Thanks.
Gear:
Black Ibanez RG170
Line 6 Spider II 112
Genius Mind
You have a scale in a key. The roman numerals tell you what scale degree that root of the chord is. For example, F is the IV chord in C major. F is 4 scale tones away from C. Capital roman numerals mean that the chord is major while lowercase roman numerals mean that the chord is minor.
So in a G major scale would it be

G I
A II
B III
C IV
D V
E VI
F# VII

is that right?
Quote by 1h81337
is that right?
Not quite, but you have the notes right, so that's good.

G I
Am ii
Bm iii
C IV
D V
Em vi
F#m b5 vii (I'm not really sure what you do with the diminished chord, but this seems logical.)

There's a good chance that you're seeing F#m b5 and thinking, "what the hell is that?" It is an F# minor chord with the fifth lowered 1/2 step. F# minor is F# A C#. F#m b5 is F# A C. See how C is 1/2 step lower than C#?
Quote by bangoodcharlote
There's a good chance that you're seeing F#m b5 and thinking, "what the hell is that?" It is an F# minor chord with the fifth lowered 1/2 step. F# minor is F# A C#. F#m b5 is F# A C. See how C is 1/2 step lower than C#?

And you do that because there's no C# in a G major scale right?
Ok thanks, got it
Gear:
Black Ibanez RG170
Line 6 Spider II 112
Genius Mind
F#mb5--better known as F#diminished, but he's got the right notes. diminished=1, b3, b5.
BUT YOU KNEW THAT ALREADY, RIGHT?????