I've had a Line 6 Spider II for about 3 years and I'm really starting to not like the sound. Power and barre chords sound good but once I go to the higher notes and play some solos and scales, the notes come out sounding flat. I've done google searches for songs recorded through a line6 spider II that had metal solos to see if it was maybe just me, but every recording I heard just confirmed what I think about this amp.

Anyway, since I mainly practice metal now (Death, Amon Amarth, Slayer, Opeth, etc.), I'm looking for an amp for mainly playing metal in the $400-$900 price range.

Suggestions?
^ lol uhh...no?

anyways, in that range for that music id go for either a used 5150 combo (which IMO would be your best bet) or a XXX combo.
5150 or XXX. If you're looking for just gain, go with some kind of Engl. They're the polar opposite of the 5150 in terms of tone. Plenty of gain, but VERY bright.
2005 Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Marshall JCM900 MKIII Master Volume head
Carvin G412T cabinet
Line 6 DL-4
Boss BF-3
Boss CS-3
Boss NS-2
Boss OD-20
Boss PH-2
Ibanez TS-7 (being modded soon!)
Quote by Ambulance X
5150 or XXX. If you're looking for just gain, go with some kind of Engl. They're the polar opposite of the 5150 in terms of tone. Plenty of gain, but VERY bright.

I was thinking of going with a peavey 5150 but what do you mean when you say "bright"? (I never understood what that meant :p
with 900 you could buy an awesome tube combo

Peavey XXX or 5150 are damn good combos...just be aware that the 5150 combo is FRICKIN HUGE and aint exactly portable...but more portable than a stack anyway.

Save up a little more and pick up an engl thunder combo from www.rocksolidamps.com maybe?

Peavey makes really good metal combos IMO.

if you want a halfstack that opens your range up a bit... but you'd need about $100 to $200 more to be able to swing a cab in there.
"Bright" means it's a bit on the trebly side, tone-wise. (Generally) great for screaming leads.
"Dark", therefore, means it leans a bit more to the bass side.

5150s are dark, ENGLs are bright.