It was my birthday, so I was down playing some amps at the music store as a gift to myself. And I mean damn, Fender cleans are just amazing. Anyways, with Fender cleans stuck in my head, I came home to browse eBay for a cab, as I need one for my 20 watt home built Fender. It's a 5e3, old 50's tweed amp. So I come across the Bassman section, and I'm like, pwn. But all the cheap ones were silverfaces, so I was like meh again, because supposably the silverfaces aren't as nice as the blackfaces.

But then I saw this pic:

And seeing that all the Beatles were using silverfaces for their final concert, i was like pwn again.
So I headed right back over to eBay, and got myself a Vintage 1967 Bassman!
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7421331143
Sexy.

Damn, pwn.

Kind of ironic though, because I originally needed a cab for my head, and now I have another head, but still no cab...

Hah! Whoo!

So yeah, anyone ever played one of these? I've never played a Bassman this old, I played a used 80's one though, sounded pretty nice to me, but a bit on the sterile side...

Whoooo! Fender cleans are hXc!
I'm not very active here on UG currently.
I'm a retired Supermod off to the greener pastures of the real world.
Let's not forget that the Fender Bassman was the grandaddy for all rock and roll amplifiers!

The Fender Bassman was the basis of the Marshall JTM45, the amp that gave us that famous plexi sound.
man that thing is so old, you better send it to me so that i can make sure that its safe to use still
Quote by CORT noob
Sex her, take the guitar, then sex her mom and have her walk in on you. Then, mom is happy, she doesn't want to be your friend anymore, and you keep the geetar. It's a win win for America!
Fender tube amps have a really addicting clean tone. I have a 70s Silverface Champ that I will never let go just because I love its sparkling clean tone...not sterile or tinny at all. Silverface Fenders are not very collectable, resale value wise, but if you know what to look for, you can land a nice point-to-point wired silverface amp. I was advised by a couple of friends of mine who used to work with Fender that silverface amps with serial numbers that start with A are identical to the 60s Blackface ones so try to look for that if you're gonna be in the market for silverfaces.
Epiphone Les Paul Standard Plus '02
Fender Highway One Stratocaster
Roland Jazz Chorus 120
Marshall 5210 Combo Amp
Fender Silverface Champ
Quote by That_Pink_Queen
And seeing that all the Beatles were using silverfaces for their final concert, i was like pwn again.
So I headed right back over to eBay, and got myself a Vintage 1967 Bassman

Am I mixing up silverface and blackface?
#12 of the "Ibanez SZ over RG Club!" PM ibanez4life SZ! to join!
Yeah, looks like paul was using a silverface bassman:

Small, but def. a bassman behind Paul

You can almost read the name.

In the back

and live.

Although, pink, the auction says that the circuit is AB165, and it seems like the last blackfaces and first silverfaces were AB165 (which leads me to believe that they just did a cosmetic upgrade for the first issue of the silverface... which are essentially blackfaces).
Last edited by greenbox at Jun 15, 2006,
sounds kinda shady on the description how he keeps mentioning AS IS. you may find a bad amp winding up at your door.
Fender '82 Walnut Strat
Fender '65 Twin Reverb Reissue
Voodoo Labs Sparkle Drive
EHX English Muff'n
Boss DD-6
o ya, i forgot pinky is lord of the soldering iron
Fender '82 Walnut Strat
Fender '65 Twin Reverb Reissue
Voodoo Labs Sparkle Drive
EHX English Muff'n
Boss DD-6
^Yep, this is what a gutshot of a bassman looks like:

EASY to fix. Look how nicely it's layed out.
(Invalid img)
That's a modern PCB amp...
Bassman fixes are easy

And I don't think the whole "as is" thing is too much of an issue, I just don't think the person had the ability to try it. The person selling it is a female, and not to be sexist, but usually men know more about vintage amps
Just another clueless female
Though there was quite a bit of info in the eBay auction.

I don't charge myself for repair work though, so I'm cool with it.

Cooooooool.

If you still need a cab, there are these Geezer cabs on eBay that look very promising.
^Thank you!

Yea, happy birthday! *presumes it's the same day you posted that....*

And damn, that bassman looks amazing, how much did it cost you?

I'm pretty much dying of gas for something like that now, although I've never even had a go of one yet! Argh, the wonders of expensive habits...
"Breathe, breathe in the air
Don't be afraid to care"

Fender Strat/Tokai LS80>few pedals>Orange Rocker 30
My birthday was the 13th, but thanks anyways

350 bucks for the Bassman. Seemed like a decent deal to me

Still need a cab to run it through though.
your birthday was the 13th? DEMON CHILD.

oh and happy birthday.
I R tr00 Member of UG's Gain \/\/hores - don't pm gpderek09 to join unless you are truly worthy
www.purevolume.com/mordecaiaus
Quote by xifr
There is the possibility that I may have or may or may not have gone or not gone into the danger zone.

Quote by lespaulmarshall
I love you Joel
That's pretty damn cheap... damn you.
The reissue'd combo's got for about £999 over here, would an old (used) bassman sound any diff. to the more expensive reissues?
Don't be afraid to care"

actually, old bassman heads average 300-400 on ebay.

they should sound similar, maybe with more hum?
Groovy.

How's that Marshall coming along?
Don't be afraid to care"

oh that marshall is actually done, one of the input wires needs to be replaced with shielded wire, or rerouted. I'll get to it after my final exams are over. I also want to get a set of JJ's.

Although, everything else works (it's just that when I crank up the treble or mid on the gain channel, the amp emits this high pitch squeal)

never let anyone tell you lead dressing in an amp isn't important. A properly wired amp will have less hum (though a poorly dressed amp will sound the same... with more hum!)
damn't christian. I was showing you all these ****ing heads and your like no 4 10 4 10 i wanna 410. Then you go buy a head anyways. Anyways i thought the silverfaces were only from the 70s but i may be mistaken. Most silverfaces you'll find are from the 70s oh. Nice find. When i get the money i'll be right there with you.
Yep, this was actually manufactured in the first year silverfaces were built. '67 was the first year silverfaces came out. Supposably silverfaces sound a bit better for bass, and a bit worse for guitar, but I'm cool with it because I already have two guitar amps.

Even though it doesn't say for sure it's a 1967 one, I'm quite sure it is, because only the 1967-1969 amps have the aluminum strip around the grillcloth. It couldn't be like a 1970's or anything.

That's the Bassman 10.
ah, i assume by 4-10, you were referring to a tweed version

mainly cause that's one of the amps i plan to build in the future
(although, I had no idea there was a silverface 4-10... )
I had some fun with fixing this, because some parts had aged, and as expected, they were faulty. I even got some smoke! So I took out the chassis, replaced components, all that good stuff. I wiped off 38 years of dust and crap, replaced the power cord to make it safer, and overhauled the whole thing. Anyways, I finally screwed it back together again today. It's 100% fixed, a sweet amp. It's very loud for guitar, and plenty loud with bass for my purposes. And mother of god...IT HAS TONE!!!
It sounds truly amazing...you can crank it up to a Genuine Marshall crunch and then turn town the volume for some classic Fender cleans...incredible dynamics, I dunno if it's just the 6l6's or what, but it's amazing. It makes playing easier, because it already sounds so good.

Soundclip
There's a clip on here:
http://www.goldfishliberationfront.com/bassman/bassman_files/
Just something I ripped out. The first little bit is both channels dimed, and jumpered. The second is the "Normal" channel on 5-6 or so. Thank god for the attenuator, this thing is LOUD!

For 350+50 bucks in repair parts, this is a sweet amp.
Now I'm looking for a matching cab.
dayyuuuum, nice score pink. I've been thinking of trying out one of those suprecharged champs kits you posted from STF, but that thing sounds killer. Nice work man.
"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wiseman knows himself to be a fool." - W.S.
amp clips
amp vids
Wow, that sounds damn nice, congrats on the fixing and so on!

More clips please?
Don't be afraid to care"

Sounds good, but unless I've misunderstood something, it seems as though people use the Fender Bassman as both a bass and a guitar amp, how is that possible? I thought amps had to be either one or the other to be any good.
Well I just deleted the whole site accidentally...stupid ****up that I am.

More clips coming!

As for the bass and guitar amp thing, there's just one channel with more bass, and one with more treble. Nothing too incredible.
Yay for Fender cleans...

Epiphone Les Paul Studio
Boss Metalzone
Peavey Bandit

Pfffttt.
Tell me where you can get one of those for under 400 bucks.
Plus, I'm all tweeded up already. The clean is nice...but the area right between clear and dirty is the best on tweeds IMO.
I'm gasing for one of those so bad right now!
Last edited by Connorcore at Sep 10, 2006,
Quote by That_Pink_Queen
Pfffttt.
Tell me where you can get one of those for under 400 bucks.
Plus, I'm all tweeded up already. The clean is nice...but the area right between clear and dirty is the best on tweeds IMO.

That's a Victoria Bassman clone, does the Fender clean better then any Fender
Epiphone Les Paul Studio
Boss Metalzone
Peavey Bandit

Stfu.

That sounds amazing, can I get some more clips please? Definately buying one in the next month or so.