How often should I use these things? Like, if a tab doesn't tell me to use hammer-ons and/or pull-offs, will using them change the quality of the song? For example, in Woman by Wolfmother, the breakdown/keyboard solo can be done much easier using hammer-ons and pull-offs, but doing that doesn't really match the sound of the song, I think. Also, how about the Stairway Solo? Do you guys use hammer-ons and pull-offs in that one?
Use them as much as Humanly possible...Don't Skimp on the Distortion (Don't get too crazy though...) Speed is always key in something like the Stairway Solo...
R.I.P.:
Randy Rhoads (December 6, 1956 – March 19, 1982)
Dimebag Darrell (August 20, 1966 – December 8, 2004)
Les Paul (June 9, 1915 – August 13, 2009)
Ronnie James Dio (July 10, 1942 – May 16, 2010)
In the stairway, definitely use pull offs to the barred finger on the 5th fret, that's how it was played. In wolfmother, who cares, when I saw wolfmother play it in melbourne they screwed that song up anyway, so I get the feel they don't even know what they are doing.
Hah, they screwed it up? Well, give 'em a break, they seem pretty new and inexperienced. It seems like Australia keeps pumping out bands I like...
But yeah, barring the fifth fret was what I was doing before. Thanks for the advice.
Basically, no matter what you do, you can't possibly make a wolfmother song worse, so I don't see why you can't use hammer-ons and pulloffs.
My Gear:

Washburn WI14 Electric
Washburn D10s Acoustic
Marshall MG100HDFXR Special Edition
Marshall MG412AR Special Edition

Quote by Danno13
^Xenn is my favorite MG owner EVAR.

Quote by jj1565
^ Xenn fav MG user evar
Australia keeps pumping out bands that rip off the legends, there was jet, now there's wolfmother. "Woman" main riff is basically Whole Lotta Love in reverse. Problem is, we only export these kinds of bands, not the real, original australian musicians.
Quote by gaylord
In the stairway, definitely use pull offs to the barred finger on the 5th fret, that's how it was played. In wolfmother, who cares, when I saw wolfmother play it in melbourne they screwed that song up anyway, so I get the feel they don't even know what they are doing.

you're saying stairway solo starts off with barred 5th fret after the inital bend? are you sure? thats not how I play it, but its probably easier. oh well. I know its not pulloffs, he's alternate picking, at least for the first part.