Page 2 of 74
Quote by myvaliantleap
You need the help bro.

Yeah dude, i hadnt seen that. And telling that guy he needed help was more in the English department. Ill say it again, I HAD NOT SEEN THE COMBO, AND I GOT EDGAR ALLEN PWNED.
Quote by TheFluffy
I noticed this too.

Information:

The 5150 is the exact same as the 6505..
the 5150 was EVH's amp, then he just changed the name to 6505
^ yes and no. the amps were the VT series, then peavey said they wanted to make him an amp. so they took the vt series, made a few changes and named it the 5150 series. although EVH's were heavily modded, or just gutted and filled with soldano parts. when eddies contract with peavey expired he left and took the 5150 name with him, since it is his copyright. so peavey just changed the name to 6505. because it was like their 65th anniversary in 2005.
Quote by ClassicAxe

consider anything derek suggests, He IS a gain VVhore you know
Quote by jj1565
derek, will you go out wt me?

President Gain Whore -group on profile
Who wants camera recorded 5150 II clips??? Well here they are... It sounds so muddy and bassy, but I swear thats just the camera(and also that it was very near the port on the cab)! It sounds very good live, really punchy and quite bright.

Settings are the same in both clips, just I had the gain at 5.5 in the first clip, and bumped it up to 7 in the second one. Volume is at about 0.6, basically slightly more that as low as it can go, which is very low.

Low- 7.5
Mids- 1.5
High- 3
Resonance- 6.5
Prescence- 6.5.

These are the best settings I can get with my setup. And before any of ya'll nubs attack me for mids at 1.5, THIS AMP IS MIDDY AS HELL!!! It sounds TERRIBLE and HONKY with the mids above 2 for me, since I'm also using a very middy pickup, and basswood is pretty middy as well. As for the treble, any higher than 3, and it gets ice picky for me.

Without any further ado...

http://media.putfile.com/5150-II--VH-
http://media.putfile.com/5150-II--Metal
Last edited by electrik at Jun 20, 2006,
^ the metal one sounds good. not enough high end all around for my liking but still very nice.
Quote by ClassicAxe

Quote by jj1565

Yeah, there doesnt sound like theres any high end in the clips, but there is in real life for sure. Maybe I shoudl rerecord with some added treble just to balance it out.

Edit: Ok, that worked pretty well. Heres a clip. It sounds better recorded this way.
http://media.putfile.com/5150-II--Stuff
Last edited by electrik at Jun 20, 2006,
nice, that last one had a lot more edge to it.
Quote by ClassicAxe

Quote by jj1565

Quote by gpderek09
when eddies contract with peavey expired he left and took the 5150 name with him, since it is his copyright. so peavey just changed the name to 6505. because it was like their 65th anniversary in 2005.

It was their 40th Anniversery in 05' I though. 1965-2005.
well some sort of anniversary.

EDIT: electrick, the cleans sounded great, now lets hear it w/o chorus.
Quote by ClassicAxe

Quote by jj1565

Last edited by gpderek09 at Jun 20, 2006,
Quote by gpderek09
well some sort of anniversary.

EDIT: electrick, the cleans sounded great, now lets hear it w/o chorus.

Erm, erm, erm...

Hehehe, kidding, I'll go do that in a sec.

Quote by ClassicAxe

Quote by jj1565

haha, chorus is cheating....

I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
it doesn't.

5150 pwns it.
Quote by ClassicAxe

Quote by jj1565

Quote by gpderek09
it doesn't.

5150 pwns it.

well then. I'm buying a 5150
Quote by electrik
Yep. Now how are the cleans you ask? Well heres a little clip.

http://media.putfile.com/5150-II-Clean--Chorus

If anyones got any requests, I'll be happy to fufill them.

Hi electrik,

I've got a request ... rather a question... this was the original question that no one answered because UGFluffy kept making a big deal that my english wasn't good enough ...
Anyway, I was looking at the 6505 combo and with its closed back, was wondering how I would connect an attenuator between the amp and the amp's speakers? Is connecting to a cab with an attenuator in between, the only way to play at lower volumes ? I have a valveking 112 with the amp's out to a Weber attenuator and the attenuator's out to the combo's speaker.

thanks !

Grrr:
Peavey 5150 head
Marshall 1936 Lead 2x12 Cab
'06 Jackson SLSMG
Dean Hardtail Select
ISP Decimator
Planet waves tuner
Weber Mini Mass
Ibanez Delay & Chorus

time is like a fuse; short and burning fast -- James Hetfield
^ i don't think the combo is closed back. last time i checked it was open. anyway if it is closed back you could unscrew the back plate and then just use the attunater. but if the amp is soldered to the speakers you won't be able to use an attunater. but i remember the combo's being open back...
Quote by ClassicAxe

Quote by jj1565

Yes, it is closed-back. please look at this link.

http://peavey.com/products/browse.cfm/action/detail/item/116208/number/00575670/cat/306/begin/1/6505%3F+212+Combo.cfm

Also, it says so in their description ...
Two Sheffield® 1200 12" speakers in a closed-back cabinet

Anyway, I think you have answered the question, "unscrew the back and connect". I just wanted to know how everyone's using them if they are in fact using them with an attenuator.

Grrr:
Peavey 5150 head
'06 Jackson SLSMG
Dean Hardtail Select
ISP Decimator
Planet waves tuner
Weber Mini Mass
Ibanez Delay & Chorus

ok, i found some pics of the back. the closed part is screwed on so it can just be unscrewed. it it's set up with a speaker out with a speaker cable, ect, you can use an attunater.
Quote by ClassicAxe

Quote by jj1565

Quote by gpderek09
it doesn't.

5150 pwns it.

Lol, normally in defense of my own gear I'd say that's not true, but after playing the 6505+, I'm beginning to agree with you. High gain is much fuller, tighter, has a defined low end, and has more gain. Clean is about the same, although once again the 6505 had more low end, just the way I like it.

And as for the 6505+ having less gain, IT DOESN'T MAKE ANY SENSE!!! If anything an extra 12AX7 would add MORE gain...
clips
Gear
  • Framus Cobra Head
  • Peavey 5150 Head
  • Marshall MF280 4x12 Cab
  • PRS Custom 24 w/ 3-Way/Coil Tap
  • Ibanez RGT220A w/ EMG 85 Neck/81 Bridge
  • Rack w/ BBE 482i, Hush Super C, and Furman
^ haha we've already confirmed the more gain part.
Quote by ClassicAxe

Quote by jj1565

I know but everybody keeps saying it, in the last page. I should quote it, if only I could edit genocides post... I miss you man *tear*
clips
Gear
  • Framus Cobra Head
  • Peavey 5150 Head
Quote by gpderek09
it doesn't.

5150 pwns it.

Nah... I wouldn't just flat out say that... The JSX is better than it at some things, the 5150 is better at others.

Quote by emperor_black
Hi electrik,

I've got a request ... rather a question... this was the original question that no one answered because UGFluffy kept making a big deal that my english wasn't good enough ...
Anyway, I was looking at the 6505 combo and with its closed back, was wondering how I would connect an attenuator between the amp and the amp's speakers? Is connecting to a cab with an attenuator in between, the only way to play at lower volumes ? I have a valveking 112 with the amp's out to a Weber attenuator and the attenuator's out to the combo's speaker.

thanks !

Interesting question. With the combo being wired that way, it makes it quite difficult to insert an attenuator.

That said, most people don't believe an attenuator is really needed or desired for this amp anyways.

And guys, the 5150 II/6505+ does have LESS GAIN!!!!! It is 100% TRUE.
^ true, the peavey amps do rely more on pre-amp gain.
Quote by ClassicAxe

Quote by jj1565

I have a double female end 1/4 splitter thingy I got from an audio parts store (Radio Shack maybe I don't remember). IT allows you to plug the lead from the speakers in one end, and then plug it into a head. I guess you could use it for an attenuator as well. One side has the speaker out -> attenuator -> splitter -> speakers. something like that.
clips
Gear
  • Framus Cobra Head
  • Peavey 5150 Head
Cool. That's good to know. However, at least on the peavey valveking, even if the external speaker out is connected, the combo's speaker is supposedly still active ... wonder if its the same case with the 5150 ??

Grrr:
Peavey 5150 head
'06 Jackson SLSMG
Dean Hardtail Select
ISP Decimator
Planet waves tuner
Weber Mini Mass
Ibanez Delay & Chorus

Quote by gpderek09
^ i don't think the combo is closed back. last time i checked it was open. anyway if it is closed back you could unscrew the back plate and then just use the attunater. but if the amp is soldered to the speakers you won't be able to use an attunater.

As long as theres a cable going from the power amp to the speakers you can use an attenuator. Heres how:

Ingrediants; two 1/4" speaker cable tips, solder, soldering iron, electrical tape, attenuater, amp.

Directions; (with the power off) Snip the chord going from the amp to the speaker/s. Strip the rubber insulating shell off the speaker cable to expose the wires. Solder the 1/4" male speaker jack to each side of the speaker wire that you just snipped. Use electrical tape to insure that theres no metal on metal contact with the ground or anything.

Well, something along those lines. I do it at work somtimes...and it turns out great.
Quote by electrik

And guys, the 5150 II/6505+ does have LESS GAIN!!!!! It is 100% TRUE.

Yeah its true...but seriously though...they both have more gain then you'll ever need to use EVER...so it really doesnt matter which has more or less gain. Ya know?
Can these be bought in Australia/Sydney? If so for how much/used??? Im talking combo.
Its so hard trying to find a metal amp here
^ have you tried like eBay or something dude? Also try going to Peavey's official website and locating a dealer near you. Thats the easiest way to find them.
Very nice clips, Electrik, I'm impressed with the sound at such low volumes. I've heard it can get pretty flabby and undefined at those volumes, but it sounds pretty tight.

Although, having said that it sounds like those loads of sorta volume swells throughout the 1st clip. Is this the mic? Or the amp? Or am I just hearing things and it's your pick attack or something?
- Gibson Les Paul Studio
- Squier Standard Strat
- Roland Cube 60
- Visual Sound Jekyll & Hyde
- Boss OD-3
- Behringer EQ700
Quote by SamDking
Very nice clips, Electrik, I'm impressed with the sound at such low volumes. I've heard it can get pretty flabby and undefined at those volumes, but it sounds pretty tight.

Although, having said that it sounds like those loads of sorta volume swells throughout the 1st clip. Is this the mic? Or the amp? Or am I just hearing things and it's your pick attack or something?

Thats just the camera, I was pretty dissapointed about that was well. Definately not a professional recording setup, haha.
Quote by JRSB
Can these be bought in Australia/Sydney? If so for how much/used??? Im talking combo.
Its so hard trying to find a metal amp here

I haven't seen the combo anywhere, but I know that www.guitar.com.au sells the head at a pretty good price.
ESP H-300 (EMG81/85)
Ibanez RG570
Ashton VP30
Dunlop Crybaby
Boss CE-5
Boss DS-2
Behringer EQ-700
Member #12 of the "Use Your Fucking Dictionary Club." PM Dæmönika to join.
Mr T of the Avatar A-Team.
^ Are you talking about the 6505 or the 5150 ? The 6505 is not at the moment available on eBay but I saw a couple of 5150's. Try searching for "Peavey 5150" on www.ebay.com

Grrr:
Peavey 5150 head
'06 Jackson SLSMG
Dean Hardtail Select
ISP Decimator
Planet waves tuner
Weber Mini Mass
Ibanez Delay & Chorus

Quote by electrik
Yep. Now how are the cleans you ask? Well heres a little clip.

http://media.putfile.com/5150-II-Clean--Chorus

If anyones got any requests, I'll be happy to fufill them.

Hey man i was just wondering with what guitar and what pickups did you record that? Oops onyl saw this now but, Is it the stuff in your sig? And im not too familiar with the Tone Zone.. is this a powerfull pickup.. lots of bass or treble?

It sounds really good though (bar the recording).. id love a sound like that.. you're making me hate my fukin cube30.... oh and that is the head and cab version, plus you are using a pretty good cab, how would a combo sound in comparison to this? Do Peavey ship good enough speakers in ther 6505 combos?
Last edited by Elven_King at Jun 21, 2006,
^ Peavey have a brand called Sheffield or something. Look up the specs on their web-site ...

Its got to be good since the 6505 combo's like worth close/over a $1000. Dont know why they dont have some celestion's or jensen's in their high-end stuff. A $200 line 6 spider has a celestion for Cryin' out loud. Peavey are you reading this ??

BTW, did you say Cube30 ?? I used to own a cube30. First of all, Electrik has recorded with a all-tube top-of-the-line amp. A cube30 is a solid-state. There is no comparision there to begin with !! Second of all, a cube 30 sucks. Just because they put a Roland brand name on it, does not mean its good.

Grrr:
Peavey 5150 head
'06 Jackson SLSMG
Dean Hardtail Select
ISP Decimator
Planet waves tuner
Weber Mini Mass
Ibanez Delay & Chorus

Last edited by emperor_black at Oct 9, 2006,
The speakers in the 5150 combo are pretty meh. Nothing special. And about the Tonezone, yeah, its a pretty powerful pickup, with a lot of bass and mids.

Oh, and I got to take the volume up to 1.5, and i took a really quick video clip of it (the audio always sounds better for me in a video for some odd reason). Gain is on 7. It was kind of an accident, I meant to have it at 5.5 or 6, oh well.

http://media.putfile.com/5150-II-Volume-15
Quote by electrik
The speakers in the 5150 combo are pretty meh. Nothing special. And about the Tonezone, yeah, its a pretty powerful pickup, with a lot of bass and mids.

Oh, and I got to take the volume up to 1.5, and i took a really quick video clip of it (the audio always sounds better for me in a video for some odd reason). Gain is on 7. It was kind of an accident, I meant to have it at 5.5 or 6, oh well.

http://media.putfile.com/5150-II-Volume-15

That sounded pretty nifty.
Quote by TheFluffy
That sounded pretty nifty.

Thanks.

Oh and that sorry the playings is really gay, I wasn't actually fully aware that it was recording.