Page 3 of 74
Quote by electrik
Thanks.

Oh and that sorry the playings is really gay, I wasn't actually fully aware that it was recording.

As for the playing

You > me
Whenever I record something and play it back I always think it sounds utterly crap. Whether I am actually that crap or whether the recording quality (£10 mic into cheap dell integrated soundcard) has something to do with it, I'm always horrified at my playing and the tone.

But your both your tone and playing sounded nice. Keep it up
- Gibson Les Paul Studio
- Squier Standard Strat
- Roland Cube 60
- Visual Sound Jekyll & Hyde
- Boss OD-3
- Behringer EQ700
edwardR. try out a lot, i'd go with a recto standard or cavin legacy or something similar. maybe a genz benz el-diablo? ENGL pro? ubker kab? lots would go great with it.
Quote by ClassicAxe

consider anything derek suggests, He IS a gain VVhore you know
Quote by jj1565
derek, will you go out wt me?

President Gain Whore -group on profile
er crap i ment g-flex...
Quote by ClassicAxe

Quote by jj1565

lol.

Anybody know why the II/+ has only one input and the regular has two? I'm curious. Wait heh maybe that's why it has less gain. With a standard 5150/6505 you always plug into the "high gain" plug, lol.
clips
Gear
  • Framus Cobra Head
  • Peavey 5150 Head
  • Marshall MF280 4x12 Cab
  • PRS Custom 24 w/ 3-Way/Coil Tap
  • Ibanez RGT220A w/ EMG 85 Neck/81 Bridge
  • Rack w/ BBE 482i, Hush Super C, and Furman
Nah, thats really not the reason why.

I'm pretty sure it's because they ran out of room on the amp's faceplate.
Does a Peavey XXX Combo have equal amounts of gain as a 5150/6505 combo ?

Thanks

Grrr:
Peavey 5150 head
Marshall 1936 Lead 2x12 Cab
'06 Jackson SLSMG
Dean Hardtail Select
ISP Decimator
Planet waves tuner
Weber Mini Mass
Ibanez Delay & Chorus

time is like a fuse; short and burning fast -- James Hetfield
Hmm, I've only played the XXX once, but it was about on the same level. The 6505/5150 probably has a bit more, because it's rediculous the amount of gain it has, but I'm sure it makes no difference. The XXX is much brighter as well. Dereks got one and can tell you more.
clips
Gear
  • Framus Cobra Head
  • Peavey 5150 Head
XXX has an insane amount of gain. i'd fear for my testies if the gain went above 3 o'clock. and i have it just a notch over 12 o'clock to be safe. if i'm feeling sassy i'll push it up to 2 o'clock.

danger's my middle name baby.

and yeah it's pretty bright. but i use mohogany bodied and a basswood guitar, so it kinda levels out. still on the brighter side though. not nearly as bright as everybody makes it out to be though.
Quote by ClassicAxe

Quote by jj1565

Quote by gpderek09
XXX has an insane amount of gain. i'd fear for my testies if the gain went above 3 o'clock. and i have it just a notch over 12 o'clock to be safe. if i'm feeling sassy i'll push it up to 2 o'clock.

danger's my middle name baby.

and yeah it's pretty bright. but i use mohogany bodied and a basswood guitar, so it kinda levels out. still on the brighter side though. not nearly as bright as everybody makes it out to be though.

No, the XXX is as bright as everyone makes it out to be. It could just be my swamp ash/alder guitar i suppose, but its bright.
bleh, i've played with a strat. it wasn't like zomg t3h bright. it was more like, yeah thats a little bit brighter.

it's no randall warhead though.
Quote by ClassicAxe

Quote by jj1565

^ Cool! That's exactly what I was thinking ... I have a basswood body guitar and by using an equalizer, I was hoping to level out the brightness.

The 5150 seems to be too big and powerful for a bedroom practise. I just bought an attenuator that handles 50Watts for my Valveking and if I get a XXX which is 40Watts, I could reuse that attenuator.

Basically, my reasoning is ... if an amp is bright, you can get it to be darker using eq and all that, but the other way round would be hard !

Grrr:
Peavey 5150 head
'06 Jackson SLSMG
Dean Hardtail Select
ISP Decimator
Planet waves tuner
Weber Mini Mass
Ibanez Delay & Chorus

well the peavey focus a lot on pre amp gain. so an attunater isn't really nessiary.

you might also want to rethink that ns-2. i own one and it just sits in the box in my closet. isp decimator gets the work hours in.
Quote by ClassicAxe

Quote by jj1565

Oh ! So, an attenuator on my valveking is also useless ? No wonder nothing happens even if I crank the volume up all the way. just garbage. but at lower volumes I can still find saturation by using the compressor and bad monkey. Man you are a real eye-opener. Thanks !

yeah, after reading lot of rave reviews about the ISP, I am finally gonna buy it soon.

Grrr:
Peavey 5150 head
'06 Jackson SLSMG
Dean Hardtail Select
ISP Decimator
Planet waves tuner
Weber Mini Mass
Ibanez Delay & Chorus

So gpderek09 according to what you are saying, I can keep the master volume low to bedroom levels on the 5150 or XXX and still get saturation and all that for mind-blowing metal sounds ? No need for an attenuator ?

Grrr:
Peavey 5150 head
'06 Jackson SLSMG
Dean Hardtail Select
ISP Decimator
Planet waves tuner
Weber Mini Mass
Ibanez Delay & Chorus

indeed.

granted, on the XXX, the higher the master volume, the brigher it gets. the higher channel volume its darker.

thats for the 120 watt combo and head though. the others only have one volume i think.
Quote by ClassicAxe

Quote by jj1565

Quote by emperor_black
So gpderek09 according to what you are saying, I can keep the master volume low to bedroom levels on the 5150 or XXX and still get saturation and all that for mind-blowing metal sounds ? No need for an attenuator ?

Edit your posts, dont double post.

And you do need to crank it a little bit to get the super sweet metal tones. But the 40 watter will be different then my half stack, so it shouldnt be to loud when you hit the secksyness.
Yea attenuators are pretty pointless on Peavey. Like it's been said it's mainly the preamp that's saturated with gain, and preamp tubes don't really need to be "cranked" The 6505+ sounded great and it was on like 1/2, not even on 1 yet. My JSX seems to sound better at low volumes than it does at high though lol.
clips
Gear
  • Framus Cobra Head
  • Peavey 5150 Head
Quote by TheFluffy
Edit your posts, dont double post.

And you do need to crank it a little bit to get the super sweet metal tones. But the 40 watter will be different then my half stack, so it shouldnt be to loud when you hit the secksyness.

SorryFluffy, got too excited !!

but there is one thing I use the attenuator (Weber) for other than saturation; I use it for silent practise. its got a line out you see, a headphone can be connected to it. Unless the XXX combo has a headphone out ... ha ha , that's asking for a bit too much I suppose. But the Mesa boogie F50 ( 50 Watts ) has a headphone out !

Grrr:
Peavey 5150 head
'06 Jackson SLSMG
Dean Hardtail Select
ISP Decimator
Planet waves tuner
Weber Mini Mass
Ibanez Delay & Chorus

Ive always wanted a 5150, and about a month ago I found a good deal on one at GC and couldn't turn it down. I probably should have through, it was missing the back panel that seals the cab, and the back grill. It also had crappy old fender tubes.

So i take it home and it breaks almost immediately. Its in the repair shop for about 1.5 weeks, gets new GT power tubes. I also got new pickups for my explorer(SD '59 and a Dimarzio custom wound Fred). Im still not happy with the amp to be honest. It just sounds thin and really mid-rangey. Ive always heard so many good things about the 5150 and it sounded like the perfect amp for me. Did I get a lemon, or could it be something else(like my guitar??)
well you got really middy-vintage-voiced pickups. so odds are that has something to do with it.
Quote by ClassicAxe

Quote by jj1565

Eh thats what i thought. I already had the '59 installed, then my stock bridge died, and all my luthier had handy was that Fred and he practically gave it to me. I really want some EMG's, do you think that will make a night and day difference?
it'll make a pretty big difference yeah.
Quote by ClassicAxe

Quote by jj1565

Is there a 112 version of either 5150 or the 6505?

Grrr:
Peavey 5150 head
'06 Jackson SLSMG
Dean Hardtail Select
ISP Decimator
Planet waves tuner
Weber Mini Mass
Ibanez Delay & Chorus

Fluffy,

I'm getting a 1 year old Peavey XXX Super 40 Combo for $500 with new JJ tubes. Is it worth the deal ?

thanks

Grrr:
Peavey 5150 head
'06 Jackson SLSMG
Dean Hardtail Select
ISP Decimator
Planet waves tuner
Weber Mini Mass
Ibanez Delay & Chorus

hmm, i need help, my 6506 + has been gettin a little screachy lately and idk what to do, I have an ISP Decimator pedal and its at -30 and thats plugged into the effects loop. The only pedal I have in the chain is a Boss pedal tuner, I use monster cables and I mostly use a Gibson SG standard with EMg 81's. The screach only happens when I slide up or down the neck, and to make it stop, I just turn down my guitar's volume then its all better, what do i do? Oh yeah and my cab is a Marshall 1960A slanted.
As I see the ignorance of humanity engulfing reason and sanity like a wave of perpetual defeat and misery I ask myself, when the hell is everyone going to shut up and actually think?
I played a EBMM JP Sig > 5150 > Marshall 1960 cabs yesterday... gain heaven. I loved the sound of the 5150, not dark at all for my tastes.
haha
Quote by emperor_black
Fluffy,

I'm getting a 1 year old Peavey XXX Super 40 Combo for $500 with new JJ tubes. Is it worth the deal ?

thanks

depends if you want bright or dark. if the JJ's are brand new i say that's a good deal, cause that's a little under $400 for the amp then as JJ's are just over $100.

cone 21: new tube time?

steve:
Quote by ClassicAxe

Quote by jj1565

Last edited by gpderek09 at Jun 25, 2006,
Quote by gpderek09
depends if you want bright or dark. if the JJ's are brand new i say that's a good deal, cause that's a little under $400 for the amp then as JJ's are just over $100.

steve:

I also played a DV8-R thru it... that was cool too, definately heavy. The Active pickups kinda drove the rhythm channel crazy, which I found cool.

But that EBMM JP was just wild... the piezo + magnetic worked so well for tapping on the lead channel.
haha

Thanks gpdere. I personally like a bright tone. Even if I wanted a 5150/6505, its too big for my bedroom and there's no 112 version available

BTW, the 6505 seems to share the passive Equalizer between the rhythm/lead channels... the XXX has dedicated equalizers and one of them is active. To me, that sounds better.

thanks

Grrr:
Peavey 5150 head
'06 Jackson SLSMG
Dean Hardtail Select
ISP Decimator
Planet waves tuner
Weber Mini Mass
Ibanez Delay & Chorus

Quote by gpderek09

steve:

I just got it brand new out of the box like 2 weeks ago after I sold my last amp, still, should I retube it?
As I see the ignorance of humanity engulfing reason and sanity like a wave of perpetual defeat and misery I ask myself, when the hell is everyone going to shut up and actually think?
I don't think they put anything decent in the Triple Xs, then again I'd recommend it for nearly any tube amp. So far my favorite tubes I've tried have been JJs (www.eurotubes.com), they improve your tone, sometimes night and day depending on what's in there, and cut down on noise.
clips
Gear
  • Framus Cobra Head
  • Peavey 5150 Head
Quote by JimiMan1535
I don't think they put anything decent in the Triple Xs, then again I'd recommend it for nearly any tube amp. So far my favorite tubes I've tried have been JJs (www.eurotubes.com), they improve your tone, sometimes night and day depending on what's in there, and cut down on noise.

They come out with Electro harmonix pre amp tubes ( for sure ). the power amp tubes, I'm guessing are some russian brand.

Grrr:
Peavey 5150 head
'06 Jackson SLSMG
Dean Hardtail Select
ISP Decimator
Planet waves tuner
Weber Mini Mass
Ibanez Delay & Chorus

Ah, well EHs aren't that bad. They came in my JSX, I still like the tone of the JJs better but at least they're not GTs or Sovteks. You'd probably still see an improvement, but I don't know what the output tubes are. The only Russian ones that come to mind now are Sovtek and Svetlana...
clips
Gear
  • Framus Cobra Head
  • Peavey 5150 Head
Quote by Cone 21
I just got it brand new out of the box like 2 weeks ago after I sold my last amp, still, should I retube it?

probably not, the tubes normally have a 3 month warranty...

I'd take it back to the shop if it's acting up after so short a time...
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by JimiMan1535
Ah, well EHs aren't that bad. They came in my JSX, I still like the tone of the JJs better but at least they're not GTs or Sovteks. You'd probably still see an improvement, but I don't know what the output tubes are. The only Russian ones that come to mind now are Sovtek and Svetlana...

Sovtek are owned by New Sensor which is basically the same company as Electro Harmonix (both are run by Mike Mathews). I'm not 100% sure but I wouldn't be suprised if both the EHX and Sovtek tubes are made in the same factory.
And doing some research it seems to Svetlanas are also made in that same factory.

I know JJ/Tesla are made by a different factory in Slovakia though.

And I can't find the news article on it (it was on Fox somewhere) but apparently russian monopolists are trying to force Mike Mathews to give up the factory so they can buy it out (because guitar vacuum tubes are a multi billion dollar indusustry ), they offered him $100000 for it at first and he declined in a friendly manner, as he didn't even buy the factory for that much. Then after that, he started getting various threats, somebody shut off the power, sabotaged the waste elevator,etc...
But he's prepared to fight for the factory or so he says, he even ordered some gas generators for it...

Also, the reason for all these factories being in eastern europe is mainly because they haven't been torn down there yet (and were saved by certain individuals like above) and because it'd be practically impossible to open one up in the US due to restrictions on hazardous substances which are lighter in those countries (look up RoHS, tubes needs mercury and other things that aren't great for the enviroment)
Last edited by seljer at Jun 28, 2006,
Wow that's great information. I dint know that the tubes were so bad for the environment.

Someone told me that the pros have their techs change tubes after a day's practise in their high-end tube amps! I dont know how far that is true. Imagine throwing away 5 tubes every day in the trash!!

Grrr:
Peavey 5150 head
'06 Jackson SLSMG
Dean Hardtail Select
ISP Decimator
Planet waves tuner
Weber Mini Mass
Ibanez Delay & Chorus