Page 5 of 74
yes, a boost is like a boss sd-1, ibanez tube screamer, or maxon OD-9. you turn the level up and the gain down so it beefs up the signal and saturates the pre-amp more. check out the stickies for info.
Quote by ClassicAxe

consider anything derek suggests, He IS a gain VVhore you know
Quote by jj1565
derek, will you go out wt me?

President Gain Whore -group on profile
Maybe a 900 would be better as opposed to the 800.

What will you be playing the MOST of? rock, classic, or metal?
eh, 900 would be good to.

and time for the jcm-er to make a new thread. 5150/6505 sh*t only in here. from word of the creator.
Quote by ClassicAxe

Quote by jj1565

^ all hail Geno.

anyways. Yeah dont start a new thread about the 900 ... use the search feature first...and if you still dont have all the right info THEN make a new thread.
Quote by gpderek09

and time for the jcm-er to make a new thread. 5150/6505 sh*t only in here. from word of the creator.

Exactly!

Now, coming back to the 6505 combo, do they have a fan inside or something? With the closed back, its got to be extremely hot inside right? Has anyone tried to close the back of a XXX combo ?

Grrr:
Peavey 5150 head
Marshall 1936 Lead 2x12 Cab
'06 Jackson SLSMG
Dean Hardtail Select
ISP Decimator
Planet waves tuner
Weber Mini Mass
Ibanez Delay & Chorus

time is like a fuse; short and burning fast -- James Hetfield
Maybe its just me, but does anyone here think people are ****in retarded when they say that the 5150 has more than enough gain? I hate it when people say that **** because I have my 5150 II on 10 for preamp and it still isn't enough gain. I have a tubescreamer in front of it boosting the signal plus a BBE Sonic Stomp to add high end. Maybe one of my tubes blew, but I can't stand my 5150 anymore. Not enough gain and i get no high end even with the presence at 10. Im seriously thinking of ditching the piece of ****. I loved it a couple months back, but whether a tube blew or whatever, the tone sucks now. Anyone else have this problem with their 5150?
Caparison Dellinger-CA
MIJ Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Jackson Custom Kelly
Epiphone Gothic Explorer

Cry Baby 535Q
TU-2 Chromatic Tuner
Digitech delay
Ibanez TS-9
BBE Sonic Stomp
NS-2 Noise Gate

Peavey 5150II
Marshall 1960AV cab
^ umm ur retarded? The amp HAS to have something wrong with it...if not...go get yourself 8,563 Boss MT-2s and have fun that.

[/jackass remark]
Quote by Mdragoon
Maybe its just me, but does anyone here think people are ****in retarded when they say that the 5150 has more than enough gain? I hate it when people say that **** because I have my 5150 II on 10 for preamp and it still isn't enough gain. I have a tubescreamer in front of it boosting the signal plus a BBE Sonic Stomp to add high end. Maybe one of my tubes blew, but I can't stand my 5150 anymore. Not enough gain and i get no high end even with the presence at 10. Im seriously thinking of ditching the piece of ****. I loved it a couple months back, but whether a tube blew or whatever, the tone sucks now. Anyone else have this problem with their 5150?

LOL... Your 5150 is definately f*cked up dude. I play brutal death metal on it with the preamp gain on 6.5, no boost or anything.
Quote by Mdragoon

Retube it and calm down.
Quote by Mdragoon

I'm assuming you bought it used, did you take it to a tech for a once over when you got it? Did you change the tubes when you first got it? If not, it's probably due for a re-tube, that's part of owning a tube amp, and considered regular maintenance. I would change both the preamp and power tubes if the gain is as bad as you say. My Mark IV had old tubes when I got it, and the high gain didn't sound great at all. It had the original preamp tubes, and approx 5 year old power tubes. The previous owner sold it to me because he didn't think it had enough gain. I retubed it with Mesa power tubes and JJ preamp tubes, and it woke right up.
"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wiseman knows himself to be a fool." - W.S.
amp clips
amp vids
Quote by Mdragoon

change the tubes.

who ever asked about the fan, i'm not sure.
Quote by ClassicAxe

Quote by jj1565

Do you guys think that the single EQ is a drag? I've only seen these with a single EQ, which is kind of a turn off to me.
5150 II's/6505+'s have an EQ for both channels. Besides, I EQ both my channels very similarly anyways.
Quote by xxgenocide98xx
In my opinion cabs that go well with the 5150-

5150 straight cab

Any of these as 2x12s or 4x12s-
ENGL Traditional w/ v30s
Marshall 1960a or AV.
MesaBoogie Traditonal w/ v30s
Genz Benz G-Flex
Carvin Legacy

Which one would be good with the 5150/6505 if I wanted to play early metal (Van Halen, Iron Maiden, Black Sabbath, etc.) And some death metal (Dimmu Borgir, 1349, Children of Bodom, etc.)?
“It's easy to play any musical instrument: all you have to do is touch the right key at the right time and the instrument will play itself.” - Bach
would the 6505 be good for ac/dc, BLS, black sabbath, aerosmith, motley crue, jimi hendrix, GNR, judas preist stuff?
Motley Crue 2/11/06!
Motley Crue/Aerosmith 11/21/06!
Sanctity/BLS 3/12/07!
Bleeding Through/Slayer/Manson-7/25/07!
A7x/Operator/the Confession/Black Tide 11/25/07!
Van Halen 2/12/07!
Quote by HaKattack
No, I wouldn't. My bear's penis is off limits.
it does it good enough.
Quote by ClassicAxe

Quote by jj1565

so the 6505 would be a good choice for all those? the best choice?
Motley Crue 2/11/06!
Motley Crue/Aerosmith 11/21/06!
Sanctity/BLS 3/12/07!
Bleeding Through/Slayer/Manson-7/25/07!
A7x/Operator/the Confession/Black Tide 11/25/07!
Van Halen 2/12/07!
Quote by HaKattack
No, I wouldn't. My bear's penis is off limits.
no.

it's a metal amp that can do those tones well.
Quote by ClassicAxe

Quote by jj1565

bump
As I see the ignorance of humanity engulfing reason and sanity like a wave of perpetual defeat and misery I ask myself, when the hell is everyone going to shut up and actually think?
After weeks of trying to make a Peavey XXX combo sound like a 6505, I'm finally thinking of getting the 5150/6505 head and a 1x12 cab so its not too big for my apartment bedroom. Since Peavey amps concentrate on Pre-amp saturation and dont need to be cranked all the way ( or use an attenuator ) I can still get good metal tones at low volumes. But can a 120 watt head be played at such low volumes that its still tolerable a few feet away or do I need to have an attenuator?

can I pull this off ??

Grrr:
Peavey 5150 head
'06 Jackson SLSMG
Dean Hardtail Select
ISP Decimator
Planet waves tuner
Weber Mini Mass
Ibanez Delay & Chorus

My friend plays a 5150 II head through a Marshall 1960b 4x12 in his room standing about a foot away. I think you should be fine.
All Hail! The Kala-Kala Chieftain!
Cool !! Thanks. A first hand experience helps.

Grrr:
Peavey 5150 head
'06 Jackson SLSMG
Dean Hardtail Select
ISP Decimator
Planet waves tuner
Weber Mini Mass
Ibanez Delay & Chorus

^ aye, just to second that, it'll be fine. it's pushing the volume to get power tube breakup which is loud. with the volume around 1, it'll be fine (if a little flat sounding).
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by CodySG
My friend plays a 5150 II head through a Marshall 1960b 4x12 in his room standing about a foot away. I think you should be fine.

Yeah, i have the same setup but with a 1960a. Get a noise gate if you don't have one, low levels will still have a big buzz without one (ISP are good).
As I see the ignorance of humanity engulfing reason and sanity like a wave of perpetual defeat and misery I ask myself, when the hell is everyone going to shut up and actually think?
He didn't have any buzz at all.
Quote by CodySG
He didn't have any buzz at all.

I second that! Its a $1000 Pro head!! it should not have any buzzing. My XXX is as quiet as a mouse. I agree that the XXX does not have as much gain as the 6505 but even with a OD pedal with level maxed out its still very quiet since its got some patented noise elimination going on. I'm assuming the top-of-the-line professional head, will also have something similar if not better.

Is there buzz/hum with no guitar plugged in? There is a "ground" toggle switch which you can experiment with to make the humming go away. But I'm sure you already knew that.

Grrr:
Peavey 5150 head
'06 Jackson SLSMG
Dean Hardtail Select
ISP Decimator
Planet waves tuner
Weber Mini Mass
Ibanez Delay & Chorus

Last edited by emperor_black at Jul 25, 2006,
I seem to have a problem finding a footswitch for my 5150. I bought it second hand and got the 2 switch footswitch with it but I want one where I can turn crunch on and off aswell. Anybody know where I can buy one of these from because I have searched the net for agers now?

I am also from England so prefferably an english selling site.

Thanks
Ebay usually has about a thousand on it.
Quote by emperor_black
I second that! Its a $1000 Pro head!! it should not have any buzzing. My XXX is as quiet as a mouse. I agree that the XXX does not have as much gain as the 6505 but even with a OD pedal with level maxed out its still very quiet since its got some patented noise elimination going on. I'm assuming the top-of-the-line professional head, will also have something similar if not better.

Is there buzz/hum with no guitar plugged in? There is a "ground" toggle switch which you can experiment with to make the humming go away. But I'm sure you already knew that.

i still say your tubes are going dude. my XXX is a noisy beast and has much more than enough gain.
Quote by ClassicAxe

Quote by jj1565

Just bought a 6505 combo. It made me **** my pants. Digging it so far...
"You know those guitars that are like....double guitars, you know?"
Good on ya' boy! Hope it does good for you
Quote by ClassicAxe

Quote by jj1565

One little Two little Three little
So what kind of tubes do you guys recommend for a 5150/6505? I'm still new to tubes so I'm not sure.
Hail Satan

Gear:
Yamaha RGX220
Peavey 5150
Trohak Cabinet (w/ Eminence speakers)
Mesa/Boogie 2x12 Roadster
Marshall Mg15
^ Both I guess. But any information about tube that you can give me would be great.
Hail Satan

Gear:
Yamaha RGX220
Peavey 5150
Trohak Cabinet (w/ Eminence speakers)
Mesa/Boogie 2x12 Roadster
Marshall Mg15
^ yeah just get the high gain 6505/5150 set. and never look back.
Quote by ClassicAxe

Quote by jj1565