Page 1 of 2
Phew

Maybe I should ask
what are Strat's weaknesses? things it can't really do?

also what position is best for that? lead/5th position/bridge position/pickup?
That isn't classical music. It's neoclassical, and yes, an SSS strat would do that, I'm pretty sure jerry C used either a strat or maybe a fat strat to record it originally. I prefer humbuckers for it though.
Well, if you need humbuckers they can do the pseudo humbucker thing on the nd and 4th position.
The strats weaknesses are the sustain and they can't do heavy metal.

Quote by that1l)ude
im about sick of seeing that video

Says the prick who is just wasting bandwidth to flame the song rather than answer the kids question.
Last edited by Schecter1277 at Jun 15, 2006,
He doesnt have stock strat pickups and I dont believe that is a fender although I may be wrong. Standard strats wouldn't be able to do neo classical very well because you need a more modern tone with a higher amount of gain. You would definetly be fine with a stock fender but if you want to sound great, than replacement pickups for that kind of music would be useful.
Also, strats are very versatile. They can do anything but so can any guitar. It has its weaknesses though. You wouldnt want to use a fender strat for heavy metal without replacement pickups because the pickups they come with are more for vintage low gain and cleans.
Quote by Johnljones7443
Shredding is having control over your instrument and being free of technical obstacles so your music is not limited by your playing ability.

Quote by Aidy Damage
Classical Gas is when you fart and it smells like the inside of a violin. EVERYONE knows that. n00bs...
Quote by Schecter1277
Well, if you need humbuckers they can do the pseudo humbucker thing on the nd and 4th position.

Says the prick who is just wasting bandwidth to flame the song rather than answer the kids question.

the heavy metal doesn't bother me

but the sustain- are you talking about long sustain? could it sustain a note for the lengths that that guy did in the first 40 or so seconds of that video (the classical like music)
Quote by Devon8822
He doesnt have stock strat pickups and I dont believe that is a fender although I may be wrong. Standard strats wouldn't be able to do neo classical very well because you need a more modern tone with a higher amount of gain. You would definetly be fine with a stock fender but if you want to sound great, than replacement pickups for that kind of music would be useful.
Also, strats are very versatile. They can do anything but so can any guitar. It has its weaknesses though. You wouldnt want to use a fender strat for heavy metal without replacement pickups because the pickups they come with are more for vintage low gain and cleans.

what kind of pickups do you mean? full on humbuckers, or do you mean pickups that are more hot like hot rails etc?
Yes you could with that amount of gain, which you could get from your amp or a distortion pedal. Strats do have less sustain because of their single coil pickups but it wouldnt affect your playing and wont be bothersome its not highly noticable. If you want to play this kind of music and like strats simply get a strat and replace the pickups with single coils that can do it or humbuckers. check out Dimarzio, EMG, and Seymore Duncan pickups.
Quote by Johnljones7443
Shredding is having control over your instrument and being free of technical obstacles so your music is not limited by your playing ability.

Quote by Aidy Damage
Classical Gas is when you fart and it smells like the inside of a violin. EVERYONE knows that. n00bs...
Quote by amazingdm
what kind of pickups do you mean? full on humbuckers, or do you mean pickups that are more hot like hot rails etc?

both those ^^ would be fine either or.
Quote by Johnljones7443

Quote by Aidy Damage
It depends what level of playing you are at really. If you would like to play this music any pickups can do it just fine. If you want it to sound amazing than new pickups can always be put in your guitar.
Quote by Johnljones7443

Quote by Aidy Damage
would it be best to get separate guitars for this kinda music, like an Ibanez RG1570 for example... if i wanted it to sound the best eventually
I wouldnt bother. Right now I am working on customizing a strat, shred humbucker in the neck, single coil in middle (for cleans) and humbucker in bridge for rythme, lead, everything.
Quote by Johnljones7443

Quote by Aidy Damage
what kind of guitar do you have. do you want to make it more versatile?
Quote by Johnljones7443

Quote by Aidy Damage
How about amps for this type of music, as well as most others (not including heavy/death metal.. but including metal like Steve Vai without the overly distorted sound)... would a Fender amp such as the 65 Deluxe Reverb Reissue or the Pro Tube Twin-Amp + maybe an overdrive pedal be sufficient?
i think a strat could handle it fine. BTW what song is that guy playing in the video is it called cannon?
Looking to buy a Fender Jagstang, u sellin?
Quote by Devon8822
what kind of guitar do you have. do you want to make it more versatile?

I have/will be getting within the next week or two hopefully a MIM Fat Strat.. so I'd assume IT would be great for most kinds of music

however in the future I'd also like to buy a MIA SSS Strat to diversify.. Eh kinda confusing. But I might also be interested in the RG1570.. I'm kinda confused right now I guess.

Ideally I was hoping to keep the MIA Strat stock
but who knows
Last edited by amazingdm at Jun 15, 2006,
whats your price range for the amp and whatw ould you need it for? also strat pickups are probably the best pickups u can get for low - mid gain and cleans. for stuff like like steve vai to get a nice sound you would want different pickups, I mean it can do it but if you want a hard rock sound you'd be better off with humbuckers. you can get humbuckers in a strat, you can get ones that come with one or you can get a single coil sized humbucker.
Quote by Johnljones7443

Quote by Aidy Damage
ohhh your getting a fat strat. that would be as versatile as any guitar gets... u could do pretty much anything. remember the pickups that come with it wont be pro or anything so you might want to change them later on if you dont like them. and whats ur price range for an amp and what would you need the amp for?
Quote by Johnljones7443

Quote by Aidy Damage
Quote by Devon8822
whats your price range for the amp and whatw ould you need it for? also strat pickups are probably the best pickups u can get for low - mid gain and cleans. for stuff like like steve vai to get a nice sound you would want different pickups, I mean it can do it but if you want a hard rock sound you'd be better off with humbuckers. you can get humbuckers in a strat, you can get ones that come with one or you can get a single coil sized humbucker.

1000-1100 I think, in a year's time.
I want to stick with Fender or Marshall but I really can't get anything worthwhile for that price with Marshall so that leaves Fender.

I wouldn't say I'm looking for a hard rock sound, just sort of a sharp (not music theory sharp.. just sorta cutting sharp in sound)

here's a video of an example, and I'm only referring to the sounds you get in the first 35 seconds
http://youtube.com/watch?v=dfjQ-9OAwpA&search=for%20the%20love%20of%20god%20steve
Quote by Devon8822
Strats do have less sustain because of their single coil pickups but it wouldnt affect your playing and wont be bothersome its not highly noticable.

Singlecoils don't lessen sustain: but crappy zinc tremolo blocks do. Besides, lowering the pickups works wonders on your sustain (on strats).
Yngwie Malmsteen used a Strat. 'nuff said
Quote by MastaBassist10
"Um, yes waiter, I'll have a wank, please."

Quote by HaKattack

I'm a man. We don't cry. We bottle up emotions and become abusive alcoholics.

Proud Member of Slashism. PM slashs_#1_fan to join
Quote by Schecter1277

Actually, Iron Maiden use strats, and I can get a great sabbath sound out of my strat copy. and it is SSS.
Quote by mamakin87
Yngwie Malmsteen used a Strat. 'nuff said

I agree, but he doesn't use single coils. He uses stacked HS-3 and YJM humbuckers.
Hi, I'm Peter
1. He's not using a real Strat (Fender), he's using an ESP copy.

2. He's using distortion, classical doesn't have ANY effects on it whatsoever.

3. As others have stated, that's neoclassical.
Jackson SLSMG Soloist (JB/Jazz)
Roland Micro Cube

Member of UG's gain \/\/hores-pm gpderek09 to join.
Quote by Dirk Gently
^^ Do your homework. Yngwie's no. 1 guitar is a Strat, I think from the 70s. Why do you think FENDER does his Signature model? Silly metal ESP/Ibanez fanboys

^^^ Looks like it says Fender STRATOCASTER on the headstock to me.

I beleive he was talking about the video.
If that's true, then I apologize But it's his fault for not making it clear since his comment followed comments regarding Yngwie
Hi, I'm Peter
Quote by Dirk Gently
^^ Do your homework. Yngwie's no. 1 guitar is a Strat, I think from the 70s. Why do you think FENDER does his Signature model? Silly metal ESP/Ibanez fanboys

I'm talking about the dude in the video.

And yes, I'm aware that Strats can do Metal. I was able to pull off MoP on my Squier when I had it, and it sounded pretty good (Thanks to my Cube).

EDIT: And Yngwie is one of my favorite shredders, why would I say anything bad about him?
Jackson SLSMG Soloist (JB/Jazz)
Roland Micro Cube

Member of UG's gain \/\/hores-pm gpderek09 to join.
Quote by Devon8822

I don't think it's a Fender either. Look at the headstock...
When I heard smoking would kill me, I bought shares in Dunhill and Marlboro - Thomas Geraghty

If we don't change it, nothing will fucking change.
Quote by gaylord
and they also look cheap and stupid

you only think that because every guitar company known to man has ripped it off
My Rig
>MIM Fender Stratocaster and SX SJM-62
>various magicial noise boxes
>Peavey Classic 50 212

For the funk:
>Ibanez ATK300
>Acoustic B100
Quote by amazingdm
1000-1100 I think, in a year's time.
I want to stick with Fender or Marshall but I really can't get anything worthwhile for that price with Marshall so that leaves Fender.

I wouldn't say I'm looking for a hard rock sound, just sort of a sharp (not music theory sharp.. just sorta cutting sharp in sound)

here's a video of an example, and I'm only referring to the sounds you get in the first 35 seconds
http://youtube.com/watch?v=dfjQ-9OAwpA&search=for%20the%20love%20of%20god%20steve

Reverb/ Delay in his effects give him that tone...

And dirk, im quitepositive that strat yngwies holding is a 54' or 56'
RIG
Jackson SL3 Soloist
89' Ibanez RG570
Vader 4x12 Cabinet
Line 6 HD147 Head
6space HEAD/RACK case
Korg DTR1000 Rack Tuner
Furman Power Conditioner
ISP Decimator
The real question is if you can play classical music. The guitar doesn't matter. If you can play classical music, you can play it on any guitar. Music depends on the player. Not the instrument.
My Gear:

Washburn WI14 Electric
Washburn D10s Acoustic
Marshall MG100HDFXR Special Edition
Marshall MG412AR Special Edition

Quote by Danno13
^Xenn is my favorite MG owner EVAR.

Quote by jj1565
^ Xenn fav MG user evar
thats not a strat lol thats a gay strat, Jerry C (google video him) did that originally and used a fender strat, i play that song on all my guitars and i think my 1970's tele and 1970's strat does the best job

i do other classical rock songs (i am a music student, its handy to do them for practicals) but yeah strats and tele's all the way
Quote by ClassicAxe
And dirk, im quitepositive that strat yngwies holding is a 54' or 56'

Yngwie prefers seventies strats. I'd have little doubt that that is either a masterbuilt strat or a mid seventies strat.
My name is Tom, feel free to use it.
^ Well in his REH instructional the guitars he used were from like 56 and 57.
RIG
Jackson SL3 Soloist
89' Ibanez RG570
Vader 4x12 Cabinet
Line 6 HD147 Head
6space HEAD/RACK case
Korg DTR1000 Rack Tuner
Furman Power Conditioner
ISP Decimator
I've never seen that, but all the guitars I've seen Yngwie with have hed the large post CBS style headstock.
My name is Tom, feel free to use it.
Page 1 of 2