can smbody tell me which institution is the best for music . (all ova the world .. specially US & UK)
n also how do ya rate Berklee College of Music ..
n also temme do big universites like Oxford offer course of music .. n r thy of any value?
USC's Thornton School of Music is great. I don't know if it's the best but if you want to be a musician, LA certainly is a good place to be. If you want to go to a music school for guitar, I know that the Thornton studio guitar department is incredible. Search for the music school or department you want at

www.usc.edu
2006 Fender Deluxe Players Strat w/ Stephens Design Mojo pickups
Gibson SG Special
Carvin DC727 w/ Bareknuckle Nailbomb 7 and CWP 7
Mesa Boogie Mark IV head
Mesa Boogie 2x12 Cab MC90/EV200w

VP of Carvin Club but call me Il Duce
Indiana State is considered the best general music program in the world in open admission universities. USC and UCLA both have good programs. FSU has a good program, and a bunch of others I'm going to forget. CSU Fullerton is considered one of the best guitar programs in the world, and was the first (possibly only, still, but I'm not sure about that) school that offers higher degrees specifically in guitar.

TBH, most schools that have music programs tend to have decent ones. And where you go should be influenced highly on what it is you want to study, and who you want to study with. Instructors, in music, have a huge influence on your development (especially in areas like composition, where you'll be studying that instructor specifically).
Quote by les_kris
Corwinoid is God
I'm not even God-like... I've officially usurped the Almighty's throne.
Click here to worship me.

Member #3 of the Corwinoid Fan Club
Quote by pistavampire
can smbody tell me which institution is the best for music . (all ova the world .. specially US & UK)
n also how do ya rate Berklee College of Music ..
n also temme do big universites like Oxford offer course of music .. n r thy of any value?

yes, universities such as oxford do have music courses. theyre classically based though, so they might not be what you want.
my name is matt. you can call me that if you like.
Quote by enjoieverything
what do u mean by contemporary.....need a little vocab lesson lol

Yeah.

It's like, based around music that's more modern and recent. As in, not so much classical music.
The Royal College Of Music if you be a classical guitarist. Atleast, I know that alot of classical guitar greats came out of their, and still teach there
Berklees program is the best because it introduces you to everything from Pop to Metal its the top on my list
hey does anyone go to a music school now for high school? i want to go to one but i wanna know what its like
Berklee is the Juilliard of contemporary music. DO NOT go there if you are planning to do classical. If you want to do classical, you are better off just packing your bags and walking 3 blocks down to New England Conservatory.

I went to Berklee for 4 semesters. It really depends on what you want to study and don't go there with an ego or thinking you'll come out playing like Steve Vai just by going there. The absolute best things I think Berklee has over any other music school:

1. The community- You are around 4,000 other musicians who have the same passion as you. You can go outside to smoke a cigarette at 3am and there will be people outside that will talk about music with you. You gain a lot of influences and learn just as much outside the classroom (if not more) Also the professors reads like a top musician list. I had many professors who were nominated for Grammys and had gold records on their wall. They also started just where every musician starts out, at the bottom. At other music schools, it seems to me that most professors studied music just to teach and are only concerned about being called "Doctor" Professors at berklee go on first name basis.

2. The connections/reputation- along with that community comes support after you leave. Many major cities have Berklee alumni chapters and if you find another Berklee alumn you automatically have made a new friend. Also since the connections are so great Berklee has many top artists visit the college to give clinics and takes trips to NYC, Nashville, and LA to visit record labels, instrument manufacter plants, etc.

3. The program- Berklee has classes in subjects you will NOT find anywhere else. Also they stress being a good "all around" musician. So you'll be able to play rock, jazz, latin, etc. and will learn theory, music tech, songwriting, performance, etc. Again, other schools i have been to seem to stress "studying" music besides performing it. I don't know what jobs these people expect to get.

Also check out Musician's Institute, they are in good location but you better be ready for competition.
I was once heavily prominent on these forums from 2004-2007, let's see how long I can stay now that I'm back.
Quote by pistavampire
thnkx dudes .. now bout getting in with a scholarship .. is it hard .. like do i haveta do smthin like making my own intrumental n mailing thm?
Is it hard to get an athletic scholarship?
Quote by pistavampire
thnkx dudes .. now bout getting in with a scholarship .. is it hard .. like do i haveta do smthin like making my own intrumental n mailing thm?

Sometimes it's not so hard to get into the schools, it's just impossible to pay for them if you don't have a scholarship. I think berklee was something like 20k a quarter when I looked at it. And the scholarships at the top schools are worldwide competitive.
yeah i heard musicians institute in CA is pretty sweet too, idk look into it is all i can say.
"When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace."
- Jimi Hendrix
syracuse, rochester, nyu, belmont, vanderbilt

it depends on what youre looking for because there is more than just one part to music cuz theres marketing, law, production, so on and so on

start taking lessons now, like hardcore lessons, learn classical guitar unless youre going to berklee, and learn theory and piano

otherwise.....youre screwed
Quote by jazkel24

Any bands you're trying to copy/sound like?
Quote by scheck006
Sometimes it's not so hard to get into the schools, it's just impossible to pay for them if you don't have a scholarship. I think berklee was something like 20k a quarter when I looked at it. And the scholarships at the top schools are worldwide competitive.

I have this catalog of all the U's/College's in America - I think Berklee was around 30k per year. Don't know how many quarters are factored into that. As long as you get a side job and apply for financial aid, you should be fine.
Start taking lessons if you don't already. If you take lessons for a few years, they are much more inclined to accept you.
Quote by dudetheman
So what? I wasted like 5 minutes watching DaddyTwoFoot's avatar.

Metalheads are the worst thing that ever happened to metal.
as i mentioned b4 tht i wanna pursue engineerin in ma unvi.... both i wanna take music along as well .. is it possible .. tht i'm in a place like berklee .. n at the same time doing my other studies?
Dude, what the **** did you say? Seriously, did you fail high school grammar or something? I'm confused, because I really think you'll have a hard time getting into any school if your admissions essay looks anything like what you've been writing.

I seriously can't even ****ing understand you.
Quote by les_kris
Corwinoid is God
I'm not even God-like... I've officially usurped the Almighty's throne.
Click here to worship me.

Member #3 of the Corwinoid Fan Club
i dont have time to write the whole thing man its internet... ok let me rewrite it for u ..infact there's no need of rewritin it...
i guess u'r only having prob. with univ... which means university man .. the rest is in english .. i hope u understand english ..
If you're saying that you want to study at 2 colleges/universities at once, well if you're gonna try that you'll have a ****ing busy life!
Please vote for my band in a demo competition by clicking
here, pressing the button that says "Gi din stemme" and then connecting to facebook! Thanks a lot!
steve vai went to berklee. that kinda gives you a feel for what they teach you.
Quote by corduroyEW
Cheap amps are "that bad". They suck up your tone like cocaine at Kate Moss' party.

I am Michael!
^steve also learned from joe satriani, so it's also what joe taught him. so don't be turned off if you dislike vai, but don't think you're going to come out playing like him if you do like him.
"I see my light come shining from the west down to the east
Any day now, any day now I shall be released"

Know any good teachers in NY, especially skilled in teaching ear training? Tell me
Quote by Dutch_Apples
Berklee is the Juilliard of contemporary music. DO NOT go there if you are planning to do classical. If you want to do classical, you are better off just packing your bags and walking 3 blocks down to New England Conservatory.

I went to Berklee for 4 semesters. It really depends on what you want to study and don't go there with an ego or thinking you'll come out playing like Steve Vai just by going there. The absolute best things I think Berklee has over any other music school:

1. The community- You are around 4,000 other musicians who have the same passion as you. You can go outside to smoke a cigarette at 3am and there will be people outside that will talk about music with you. You gain a lot of influences and learn just as much outside the classroom (if not more) Also the professors reads like a top musician list. I had many professors who were nominated for Grammys and had gold records on their wall. They also started just where every musician starts out, at the bottom. At other music schools, it seems to me that most professors studied music just to teach and are only concerned about being called "Doctor" Professors at berklee go on first name basis.

2. The connections/reputation- along with that community comes support after you leave. Many major cities have Berklee alumni chapters and if you find another Berklee alumn you automatically have made a new friend. Also since the connections are so great Berklee has many top artists visit the college to give clinics and takes trips to NYC, Nashville, and LA to visit record labels, instrument manufacter plants, etc.

3. The program- Berklee has classes in subjects you will NOT find anywhere else. Also they stress being a good "all around" musician. So you'll be able to play rock, jazz, latin, etc. and will learn theory, music tech, songwriting, performance, etc. Again, other schools i have been to seem to stress "studying" music besides performing it. I don't know what jobs these people expect to get.

Also check out Musician's Institute, they are in good location but you better be ready for competition.

sounds interesting....
where is it located?
Quote by yan_kong
sounds interesting....
where is it located?

Berklee is in Boston.
Juillard.
Quote by yellowfrizbee
What does a girl have to do to get it in the butt thats all I ever wanted from you. Why, Ace? Why? I clean my asshole every night hoping and wishing and it never happens.
Bitches be Crazy.

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
When you say theres alot of competition at MI, what kind of competition are you talking about?