I have several years experience playing multi-stringed basses. My main
attraction was being able to play a lot of notes with less effort, I was playing
in a trio when my obsession began. I play many other instruments, so playing
bass and rhythm parts became a part of my style, filling in the big bottom and
laying in guitaresque chording to fill in the spaces. I didn't see any threads
for this aspect of bass so, is anyone really interested?
yeah i've recently been looking around jean baudins website and jerom wolf and various others, they're really intresting... If I was going to be doing that I would have a twin neck:
5 string (bass) and 7 string (guitar)
or
4 string (bass) and 6 string (guitar)

I know it would weigh far too much but I think It woould be a fantastic idea.
Quote by jcwear

4 string (bass) and 6 string (guitar)

you can get a strat and p bass body from warmoth

http://www.warmoth.com/bass/bodies/d46.cfm
Cort lover of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join.
On cheating in a relationship...

Quote by metaldud536
If he doesn't use a gameshark, it's not cheating.

I'm a non-regular regular old user.
I'm pretty much the six+ stringed/weird-as-hell/retarded tuning bass advocate around here. I've been playing a six string for awhile (almost two years), and I'm planning on getting a 7 or 8 string sometime in the future. Probably right after I acquire my tenor five string. The ability to drop those chords in, and simultaneously lay down the bottom and make a melody are invaluable aspects to bass playing (at least in my case). I sold my first four string for a six after I had played for about 4 or 5 months, and I'll never go back to anything less than a five string.
i own a galveston 8 string bass that i love. it is amazing to have that kind of range in sound. the low F# doesnt get used much but it is fun to kick in some distortion for the higher strings
....../ `---____________|] ~~~bang!
...../_==o;;;;;;;;_____.:/
.....), ---.(_(__) /
....// (..) ), ----"
...//___//
..//___//
Six strings are fun to play around on, but in most band settings, the extra 5 notes are really useless. The only real benefit is that it's easier to go from a high C to a high F, etc.

Feel free to dissagree, this is just how I veiw it. I have a 5 string because I use those low frequencies VERY often, and in a lot of songs I play, I need to de-tune. That B string eliminates detuning time, and keeps a nice tight low end, so that I dont have a floppy E string tuned to B.

Dictator For Life of the fIREHOSE fANCLUB. PM Me, Tedrick, or Yertle to join.
Quote by Incubus_SCIENCE
Six strings are fun to play around on, but in most band settings, the extra 5 notes are really useless. The only real benefit is that it's easier to go from a high C to a high F, etc.

Feel free to dissagree, this is just how I veiw it. I have a 5 string because I use those low frequencies VERY often, and in a lot of songs I play, I need to de-tune. That B string eliminates detuning time, and keeps a nice tight low end, so that I dont have a floppy E string tuned to B.

you bring up good reasons about the B string, im in the same situation about that, BUT:

people need to stop thinking of another string as "5 more notes".

1) is an extra string the same as 5 more frets? no

2) each string (assming u've a 24 fretter) gives 24 notes. sure you can play the same note on a different string, but it still gives you the option of that new string with which to play 24 more notes on (5 being ones you couldnt play before).

3)CHORDS CHORDS CHORDS!!! SCALES SCALES SCALES!!! a few points on this one:
A) every new string you add, adds to the chording possiblity. with a 4 or 5 (atleast 5's taht are B-G), you're really going to only be using the ADG strings for chords. getting a tenor 5, or a 6+ stringer, allows for more string chords to be played, and they will sound better as a result.
B)This also alowws you to play the chords near the 2nd to 9th fret area as oppossed to having to go up every time to play chords. i understand a lot of bassists never use chords, but thers a good number of us (me included) who do.
C) with a 4 stringer, go on the 5th fret and do a major scale shape. ok, one octave wasnt hard. now go another octave. wait, is it getting hard to go up the fretboard on just the G? with a 5 stringer, you can do a two octave shape within 5 frets (5,6,7,8,9 for example). with a 7 stringer, 3 octave shape (i think 7 frets, but i dont have one near me or want to count in my head lol)

ANYWAY:

im thinking about in the next few years getting a 7 stringer. me and this drummer might wanna do something like DFA1979, but i'd be using a 7 string because it allows basslines and melodies to be played. its just i AM a bit of a purist in the sense that 6 strings are pushing it imo, its less bassist, more string musician. and once you go 9+ for tapping, youre a painist with a wooden block of strings..
wow, manga...why aren't you a mod yet?

and it is 4 frets for 1 octave, 6 for 2, 8 for 3, etc.

I see no problem with people using ERBs, unless they use about 5 strings, which would irritate me. I personally wouldn;t go beyond 6 strings, unless I develop the need for a Low F#.
Quote by 4string-tsurigi
wow, manga...why aren't you a mod yet?

and it is 4 frets for 1 octave, 6 for 2, 8 for 3, etc.

I see no problem with people using ERBs, unless they use about 5 strings, which would irritate me. I personally wouldn;t go beyond 6 strings, unless I develop the need for a Low F#.

----------------
-2---4-5------
-2-3---5------
---3---5------

---4---6-7-----
---4-5---7-----
---4-5---7-----
-3---5---7-----
-3---5---7-----

i dont deserve "modship" lol.

2 main reasons:

havnt been playing that long. dont care if i can outplay many people here (and no, i cant ), i just dont have the plain experience that somone like John Swift or Epy (i think he's older.. lol) has.

and i doubt they'd want to mod me... dunno why LOL

If i do get a 7, i'd have to Think about the tuning. id either want
"F#-B-E-A-D-G-C"
Or
"B-E-A-D-G-C-F"
6 strings are good for the extra 5 notes. like if you use chords, it's easier to get straight to those than like mangablade said going all the way up on the g string. people shouldn't get it to make things easier, but rather to expand the range of playing. also you have to go way up on the bass to play octaves of things from a certain scale.

when i play for you 4 stringers at there ( i've been told i'm up there with sheehan and Steve Harris but i'm not in it for being good) that might need to know this for visualizing a high C. When playing on a certain scale remember to visualize a high C string and keep thinking of octaves of the notes on the scale you are on and visualize what the high C's notes will be on the G string. they have to be in the same scale tho. i'll code it for you

here's the D major scale Ionian position:
|------------------4--6--7--
|--------4--5--7------------
|-5--7-----------------------
|-----------------------------

If you practice just feeling and knowing octave positions you'll start to visualize all the notes that are in the same key. and realize that there isn't just 8 notes in a certain key. Well if you had a high C you could play on the 6th fret, 7th fret, and 9th fret. This also helps you realize how much a high C string can help.

This is including 4 high C string notes in the D major scale but showing it on a 4 string
|-------------------4--6--7----9--11--12--14
|--------4--5--7--------------------------------
|-5--7-------------------------------------------
|-------------------------------------------------

You can see how on a 4 string how difficult it could be for some people to go all the way up fast. hope this makes sense any , i'm kinda tired so it may not make sense any
Ibanez SR400
Ampeg BA112
Digitech Whammy WH-4 > Boss NS2 Noise Gate, NS2 Send (Boss GEB7 Bass EQ) NS2 Return > Boss CEB3 Bass Chorus > Ampeg BA112
^ yeah, you explained it alright.

its by no means hard for me to "visualize" where the next notes are, im way used to that (besides, i think in a note mindset rather than a fret mindset, or i try to)

its just if you're trying to shred a bit, theres no doubt in my mind you could play that same part (the last one you coded) MUCH more fluently and faster if you had an extra high string or two.
^ yeah. true. I might get a 6 string eventually. I love my 4 string Ibanez SR400, sounds sweet through my Ampeg BA112. lol. But I've tried some 6 strings and their good at what you need them for. they never suited me though. But it'd be way easier to have an extra string or more. like you said. if you need it. Happy playing peoples!
Ibanez SR400
Ampeg BA112
Digitech Whammy WH-4 > Boss NS2 Noise Gate, NS2 Send (Boss GEB7 Bass EQ) NS2 Return > Boss CEB3 Bass Chorus > Ampeg BA112
Quote by rockerc
I love my 4 string Ibanez SR400, sounds sweet through my Ampeg BA112.

i got an SR505, thru an Ampeg Ba115 :P
rockerc, I follow the same train of thought. Having learned piano and guitar first, once I got used to the bass, the 6str and 7str patterns actually made more sense than std guitar tuning. The option to play additional rhythm parts, and more expansive fills made sense in my previous trio, I actually had to relearn what not to play when we went to a 4 piece with "Eddie van Hendrix" on lead guitar, and ended up going back to 4 strings live. I think it was Miles Davis who said, "It's not what you play, it's what you don't play." A lot of how
much you play depends on the strength of your drummer and how much space is in the
music that needs to be filled.
Im thinking about getting a 7 string in the future. I would tune it B-E-A-D-G-B-E, just like a 7 string guitar. The opprotunity to fully harmonize with a guitar would be great.
(I also have a friend who has just placed an order for a custom 11 string bass)
Holiday, Boulevard Of Broken Dreams And American Idiot's Solos!!!! Those Are Soooo Good!!!
greenday1182
11 strings? how you gonna play that? are they all bass strings or are some of them guitar octave strings
My Rig
>MIM Fender Stratocaster and SX SJM-62
>various magicial noise boxes
>Peavey Classic 50 212

For the funk:
>Ibanez ATK300
>Acoustic B100
11 strings are usually tuned in fourths, not with octave strings. You play it like you would play any other bass...why does no one understand that you can play an ERB just like a four string? It's not that difficult....all it takes is positioning your thumb.
Quote by mangablade
you bring up good reasons about the B string, im in the same situation about that, BUT:

people need to stop thinking of another string as "5 more notes".

1) is an extra string the same as 5 more frets? no

2) each string (assming u've a 24 fretter) gives 24 notes. sure you can play the same note on a different string, but it still gives you the option of that new string with which to play 24 more notes on (5 being ones you couldnt play before).

3)CHORDS CHORDS CHORDS!!! SCALES SCALES SCALES!!! a few points on this one:
A) every new string you add, adds to the chording possiblity. with a 4 or 5 (atleast 5's taht are B-G), you're really going to only be using the ADG strings for chords. getting a tenor 5, or a 6+ stringer, allows for more string chords to be played, and they will sound better as a result.
B)This also alowws you to play the chords near the 2nd to 9th fret area as oppossed to having to go up every time to play chords. i understand a lot of bassists never use chords, but thers a good number of us (me included) who do.
C) with a 4 stringer, go on the 5th fret and do a major scale shape. ok, one octave wasnt hard. now go another octave. wait, is it getting hard to go up the fretboard on just the G? with a 5 stringer, you can do a two octave shape within 5 frets (5,6,7,8,9 for example). with a 7 stringer, 3 octave shape (i think 7 frets, but i dont have one near me or want to count in my head lol)

ANYWAY:

im thinking about in the next few years getting a 7 stringer. me and this drummer might wanna do something like DFA1979, but i'd be using a 7 string because it allows basslines and melodies to be played. its just i AM a bit of a purist in the sense that 6 strings are pushing it imo, its less bassist, more string musician. and once you go 9+ for tapping, youre a painist with a wooden block of strings..

Are you in a band? I don't see any reason to use chords in most bands. Much less chords that would need the C string. You can move up the neck, you know.

I could play a C major scale down on the 3rd fret of the A string.
"BUT WAIT!!! WHAT IF YOU WANTED TO GO HIGHER?"
I would move to the 8th fret of the E string.
"I WANT TO GO HIGHER WITHOUT HAVING TO MOVE MY HAND!"
You could move to the 13th fret of the B string.
"EVEN HIGHER!"
Why? I don't see the need to go that high in a band setting. At all. I have never used above the 19th fret on my G string, and that is only during bass solos.

Back to my original statement:
Six strings are cool for solo bass and all, but in a band, you really don't need the C string.

Dictator For Life of the fIREHOSE fANCLUB. PM Me, Tedrick, or Yertle to join.
Have you ever listened to a 3 piece band, and when the guitarist goes into a solo
the whole midsection drops out of the sound? What if you had a bass player who
could take over and fill that gap? That's a good enough excuse for a C string, and
fun with an F too. It's kinda like playing Jazz guitar, actually.

Chording has to be used sparingly on a 4 str. because the notes are too low and
too close together. They are further apart with more strings.

Just don't take up too much space and stay with the groove, or your drummer will
throw sticks at you.
chords are much easier to do between the 5th and 14th fret as oppposed to between 1st and 4th, and 15th +

and more strings equals more chords..

but incubus, if you dont use chords at all, then thats no problem, im just saying thers tonnes of folks who do, and believe me, the extra strings DO help for them.
Quote by ZootCst
I have several years experience playing multi-stringed basses.

As opposed to the Uni-string bass.
\,,/_[><]_\,,/
lol... I have actually built "diddley bows". Yes, I've played Uni-stringed instruments.
You know what I meant though, and if you didn't, please unsubscribe from this thread.