Hiya, uhh, i'm pretty new to guitar playing in general, just have a black strat copy (with tons of character!), been playing about 10 months now. Taught myself some theory (chords etc.), major/minor scales, pentatonic scales, but still don't know how to do artificial harmonics/sweep picking etc (I don't wanna learn those wrong so i haven't really tried). Right now I can't really play that many songs, just pieces here and there(random solos from 80s cartoons, just whatever appeals ot me at any time, intro to stairway, although i can play through the whole song minus the solo, i can't really get it all to sound right nor play at the original speed, gotta sit down and finish it sometime). The only full 'song' I know how to play though is Starseed by our lady peace. So anyway, i've always been checking the tabs here and went to some other forums (ibreathemusic), but everyone there seemed to be way beyond my league so i thought this place would be better suited for my needs (and from lurking around for a bit it seems so )

anyway, I've started learning Canon in D (jerryC rock version), and I was thinking with my skill level is it just way too much for me? or can I use it as a learning experience? I actually took up stairway like the first week i got my guitar, lol, made a lot of mistakes but I think it helped me so much within the first month or so. I was thinking since I've grown to this song so much and it has stuff that i don't know yet (sweep picking etc. ) that maybe it'll help me learn? or should I learn that stuff properly before truly attempting the song? right now i'm working on the first parts of the song, and i haven't gotten to the complicated stuff yet. Any opinions/tips etc?
i just finished learning this song lasy week. Took me a month to get perfect. Once you get to the sweep picking part of the tabs, it all looks very daunting and you may think that youll never be able to so it, but past that, the song isn't too hard to learn. make sure you have you alternate picking technique good aswel because that will make the song much easier.
wow, really? thanks for the vote of confidence I guess I will work on it then. thanks all!
If you can't sweep pick you shouldn't attempt to play that song. Again it works for some people who've never shredded in their life but to the majority, it's a no. May I suggest you learn to shred before playing that.
¤´¨留話 請留話 請在我說完後
¸.•´¸.•´¨¸.•¤¨哭泣我不在這裡 我不在那裡請在嗶一聲之後留
(¸.•´ (¸.•´ .•´(´¸.•¤´`¤下自己的秘密請在嗶一聲之後對話筒沾自喜請在嗶一聲之後對空氣唉聲嘆氣

我不在這裡 我人在哪裡 我想到哪裡¤

請在嗶一聲之後留下有聲的話題¤

請在嗶一聲之後分擔感情的問題¤

¤¤¤

Quote by GoodNite_AmyLee
If you can't sweep pick you shouldn't attempt to play that song. Again it works for some people who've never shredded in their life but to the majority, it's a no. May I suggest you learn to shred before playing that.

you're only saying that because(i assume ) you can shred. Everyones gotta start some where.

So to threadstarter- if you hit a part you cant play, like the sweep picking part, break it down, learn it slow, find other examples of that technique, and just build it up.
Quote by MastaBassist10
"Um, yes waiter, I'll have a wank, please."

Quote by HaKattack

I'm a man. We don't cry. We bottle up emotions and become abusive alcoholics.

Proud Member of Slashism. PM slashs_#1_fan to join
you know, I'm pretty sure almost every question in this forum can be answered with

"practice it slow, break it down, make sure you're playing it with the right technique. Then, when you can play it perfectly, start putting it together and get it up to speed while still making sure it sounds good"

I think I'll post that in every topic...
hey haha ive actually been trying this song out myself too and ive been playing for 1 1/2 yrs and i have the whole 3 minutes of it down including the sweeping part and my advice is... learn pinhc harmonics, alternate picking and dont worry about the sweeping part try and maybe like change the sweeping part too some improv thing.... im a perfectionist however and i practiced 1 hr a day just sweeping so i have it down... you might want to try that too so good luck and surprise yourself