Im having a hard time with my left hand thumb position. if i put my thumb under the fretboard (or neck or whatever you call it) it slowly creeps upwards until it becomes perpendicular to the strings. anyway to stop it? also, sometimes it rests next to the neck, pointing forward....
yea i have the same thing . Adding to this subject my little finger drags behind the fretboard when im not using it? bad habit?
Quote by Eddie666
yea i have the same thing . Adding to this subject my little finger drags behind the fretboard when im not using it? bad habit?

You'll probably grow out of that over time, I remember being annoyed with that too. Once you start using your pinky more it'll "learn" to stay in position

As for the thumb thing... I've always played with my thumb over the top of the neck, actually sticking out...My hands are too big, and I find it useful, I can use my thumb to help play chords and mute the E string etc
Quote by Lewiji
You'll probably grow out of that over time, I remember being annoyed with that too. Once you start using your pinky more it'll "learn" to stay in position

As for the thumb thing... I've always played with my thumb over the top of the neck, actually sticking out...My hands are too big, and I find it useful, I can use my thumb to help play chords and mute the E string etc

as far as i know john frusciante (RHCP) does that on some songs... ior possibly it was hendrix someone told me did it!!!!

so it cant be that bad
Quote by the_crimison
Im having a hard time with my left hand thumb position. if i put my thumb under the fretboard (or neck or whatever you call it) it slowly creeps upwards until it becomes perpendicular to the strings. anyway to stop it? also, sometimes it rests next to the neck, pointing forward....

Yeah, you need to play what you normally do and WATCH what you're doing.
It's all about awareness. Play as slowly as you need to and when your thumb
moves figure out why it's doing it and STOP it.

The more you correct something that's going wrong, the more it will happen without
you having to keep an eye on it.

And, putting your thumb around the side of the neck is NOT a solution.
My pinky goes under the neck sometimes too. I don't know why. It doesn't happen that often but my technique is appartently quite good because i use my pinky alot so i dunno why iut does it.
Quote by K5000
as far as i know john frusciante (RHCP) does that on some songs... ior possibly it was hendrix someone told me did it!!!!

so it cant be that bad

i wish i was able to play comfortably with me with my thumb on the e and a. i would be able to play chords ALOT more easily.
This is what you get.
This is what you get.
This what you get when you mess with us.
like edg said, it's all about awareness...there is an absurd amount of guitarists who overlook this simple step during their practice, and it hinders them in the long run...that's exactly why many people recommend getting a teacher...they (usually) can spot flaws in technique quickly and help you correct it while you are in your forming stages...the pinky problem can be solved with constant practice, preferrably chromatic scales
Quote by BigFatSandwich
it took you 15 consecutive hours of practice to realize that playing guitar makes you better at playing guitar. congratulations.

Quote by Sharp_as_steel
Axe_grinder pwns!!!!

Member #2 of the "Official UG Teabaggers' Cult". PM Slayer224 to join.