Does anyone have any tips for how I can learn songs by ear? Any songs with easy chords, easy solo that you recommend me to start with?
If you're trying to tab a song with chords, mess around the fret-board looking for the root note of the chord (for a Cmaj chord, this would be C). Match the pitch, and find the name of the note. Then, play the chord to see if it sounds right. Try different variations of the chord, such as minor, diminished, and seventh forms.

If you're trying to learn a song with notes and riffs, again, just fool around the fret board until you can match the pitch. Change the position of the song if it's inconvenient after you've figured out the notes.

I'm not too good at recommending things, but you can try pretty much any Ramones or Blink 182 song if you want some easy power-chords to learn. Just because I have the song stuck in my head, you could try "Goodnight Goodnight" by Hot Hot Heat- it's got some easy chords and a pretty simple solo.

Best wishes and Bon Voyage!
>>---Mai Pen Rai--->
yea i agree. Blink would be really good to start out with. they are a great band, and primarily use easy power chords which are fairly easy to tab. Also the riffs are usually not that complicated to play
May I suggest some White Stripes? All his songs are in either A, C, or G. I think it was De Stil that my gf put on and I just played along to nearly the entire record. Not saying I was always right on my first listen but it's pretty easy stuff cuz it's all the same.
Learn some common chord progressions and then once you have found the key, you are there mate. as for solo's.. understanding scales will help. Once you've found the first note of the solo's you can often work it out roughly. depending on the song obviously!!
Quote by silentdud
if you can figure out the key you can figure the entire song out. you might run into trouble when you start trying to learn megadeath though because Marty Friedman doesn't "believe" in theory.

scotty doesnt know is a pretty easy song to tab...

try tabing what i got by sublime too.

Its not that he doesn't use theory, it's that he doesn't know why he's doing what he's doing for any other reason than that is sounds good. He's still using scales and relating to the chords.
My name is Tom, feel free to use it.
^One day i want to be just like him...
Quote by silentdud
if you can figure out the key you can figure the entire song out. you might run into trouble when you start trying to learn megadeath though because Marty Friedman doesn't "believe" in theory.

scotty doesnt know is a pretty easy song to tab...

try tabing what i got by sublime too.

You spelt Megadeth wrong.
Talk to Erowid

Quote by dead-fish

Tell me when thy band shall return to mark a schedueled performance on my nearest venue's door!
Quoth teh Loomis, "Nevermore".

Member #9 of the "Marty Friedman > You" Club. PM apocalypse13 or altronataku to join.
Think... (Jazz) , it would help u to figure the chords and the rhythm , many jazz songs change keys in the middle of the song so it would be challenging.
Quote by Jimi Hendrix
The Blues Is Easy To Play But Hard To Feel.

Quote by Chris Impellitteri
I Promise That My Solos Will Only Get Faster.
[Practice Makes Perfect][Hell Yeah]
I agree start easy with some powerchord pop-punk kind of stuff.a good example is basketcase. A good method I have found to always be effective is to try and find the bass notes.Play the bass notes along with a chord progression (you'll see easily what the bass notes are as they'll sound wrong if you have the wrong ones.)From the bass notes you should be able to figure out the scale the piece is in (this is assuming you're trying a relatively simple song,not a huge jazz odyssey.)From that you can get the chords to a song without too much trouble.
for me it was learning a bunch of stuff and how it sounded in relation to what i was playing then after time it all just made sense, i started listening to the radio and picking out keys and progressions with about a 90% accuracy (and considering im totally tone deaf, or was at least, i think thats pretty good) i would recommend listening to different chords and shapes a lot to start with as well as intervals. after a while you'll hear a G and know its a G just like a D or an E minor or any other chord.