this is the same one that was in the electric guitar thread, which got closed cause i didnt know there was this thread.

im thinking about getting a new amp, for playing live and stuff (im playing in a concert in july). the amp i have now is like 15W and i want to get something bigger. so:

1) Should I get somewhere around 100W? What size of a crowd will that be for?

2) I'm thinking of getting a half stack. Good Idea or Bad?

3) Any really good amps? I don't want a Crate allthough they are relatively inexpensive, because I don't like the sound, and my friend has one and he says he hates it.

i know some of you were talking about a tube amp. so is a tube amp double the power of what the wattage would be for a solid state amp?

Thanks.
~Timepheonix

Edit: Also the two amps that I had in mind were a Peavey Valveking 212 Combo and a Marshall mg100hdfx/mg412 slant cab half stack.
Last edited by TimePheonix at Jun 15, 2006,
Get a valve (tube) amp, they sound a lot better, and yea, they're louder than solid state equivalents (2.5 times louder)

But firstly, what sounds are you looking for from an amp, what are your playing styles, and what's your price range?
"Breathe, breathe in the air
Don't be afraid to care"

Fender Strat/Tokai LS80>few pedals>Orange Rocker 30
i play rock/hard rock/thrash/metal pretty much all of the time.

Edit: so the two amps i mentioned were 100W each. so that would be 250W actually? so technically I would be better off with a 50W or 65W?
It'd probably be best to get a valve combo that's either 50watts or under.
The Marshall MG stack isn't valve either, and isn't very good, so don't bother with that.

What's your price range?

Also, go down to a shop and try out a load of valve amps.
Don't be afraid to care"

yeah i think marshall mg's suck!
i have mg15 watter that sucks
and regularly played on mates 100hdfx half stack
that sucked
so dont go for mgs
^That's if he likes the tone of the amp he's got at the moment, threadstarter, do you?
Don't be afraid to care"

well besides the amp i have now, the only other amp i have played is a Crate FXT65, which sucks.

my amp has a decent tone, i have the Peavey 15W Frontman amp.
Well, go down to a shop, take your guitar, and play a load of cheap valve amps, and if you like one a lot compared to the others, buy it.
Don't be afraid to care"

the two guitar stores that are near me, only have solid state amps out on display though.
Really? Hmm.... Are you sure? You could ask.....

But if there's no valve amps, go to a shop further away and try some there.
Don't be afraid to care"