I have up to $700 to get an amp with at least (edit)30w maybe 50w, but it needs to be loud, and that is tube. I want an amp that has a nice overdrive, but I don't want a full metal amp. I want an overdrive with a lot of crunch. Effects would be nice but not nessisary.

btw, it must be a combo

EDIT: It should handle that distortion, but I would also like it to handle a solo distortion too. Again, imagine Sum41, that distortion that is clear but doesnt go too high in trebel.
Last edited by Schecter1277 at Jun 15, 2006,
Hmm, I'd say go down to a shop and try out a load of valve combo's, and see what you like.
Try out a Peavey Classic 30, Laney LC30, and a few more like that, sorry, I can't think at the mo, but look for some used Marshall valve combos too.
"Breathe, breathe in the air
Don't be afraid to care"

Fender Strat/Tokai LS80>few pedals>Orange Rocker 30
What about a dsl401, or a JCM800
Quote by Half_Full
[IMG]http://img166.imageshack.us/img166/5971/uselessko5.gif[/IMG]

My Gear:
-Epiphone Les Paul Standard plus -honeyburst with Duncan Jb/59
-Crate gt65
-Boss ME-50
Future gear:
-Vox AC30 cc2
You can get Marshall JCM800 combos too, and 2 channel ones.

The Vox's are great amps, really versitile and sound good, however, they' don't really compare to real valve amps...
Don't be afraid to care"

Marshall's are so expensive though....
btw how loud is a 100w amp, can you compare it to a SS. I have a 75w SS flextone III now. About how much louder is tube gonna be?
The general rule is that a valve amp compared to a solid state the same wattage is 2.5 times louder.
Don't be afraid to care"

So, I only need half the power to get even more volume?
So, I only need like a 50w amp? Now, why is Vox bad? I've heard more bad things about marshall than vox.
Are you sure its 2.5 times? If so, a 40 watt dsl401 will be way louder than my current crate which is 65 watts of solid state. Perfect for what I need.
Quote by Half_Full
[IMG]http://img166.imageshack.us/img166/5971/uselessko5.gif[/IMG]

My Gear:
-Epiphone Les Paul Standard plus -honeyburst with Duncan Jb/59
-Crate gt65
-Boss ME-50
Future gear:
-Vox AC30 cc2
They're good amps, but they're more for all out bright metal, and I've heard from some that the crunch channel is useless, but try one out.
Don't be afraid to care"

Quote by Schecter1277
So, I only need half the power to get even more volume?
So, I only need like a 50w amp? Now, why is Vox bad? I've heard more bad things about marshall than vox.

A JCM800 is all tube. It's not a bad amp. The subjectively bad Marshall amps are their solid states and hybrids, the AVTs and MGs. The Vox Valvetronix series amps are NOT tube amps. They are solid state. Throwing a pair of webbed feet on a Buick doesn't transform it into a duck. The Valvetronix amps use one preamp tube wired through the power amp section for "tone enhancement." Basically, hybrid amps are a marketing ploy. And the "loudness" difference between a solid state and tube amp really only come into play when you're cranking them. Tube amps produce harmonics that sound louder to the human ear, whereas a solid state transistor-based distortion does not produce those harmonics.

And as far as the recommendation of a XXX - sure, get one of those if you play metal and you don't mind sterility.
Hi, I'm Peter
Last edited by Dirk Gently at Jun 15, 2006,
Quote by Dirk Gently
Throwing a pair of webbed feet on a Buick doesn't transform it into a duck. .

Dirk that is the best thing ever!
I R tr00 Member of UG's Gain \/\/hores - don't pm gpderek09 to join unless you are truly worthy
www.purevolume.com/mordecaiaus
Quote by xifr
There is the possibility that I may have or may or may not have gone or not gone into the danger zone.

Quote by lespaulmarshall
I love you Joel
Quote by Schecter1277
The first is too expensive, and I heard that marshall combos suck.
The second is a stack, I don't want one, due to the large size(parents will go nuts)

How about a vox valvetronix?
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Vox-Valvetronix-AD100VT-100W-Guitar-Combo-Amp?sku=482623

Dude, are you ignorant? You "heard" Marshall combos suck?
Why dont you go play a JCM 800 or JCM 900 4502 or something. I promise you they dont "suck".
As a matter of fact, would you buy an amp based upon the forum's recomendations without playing it first?
I sold my Carvin MTS3200, Mesa Dual Rec to keep my 4502 2x12 combo.
Jcm 800 combos aint bad at all. I prefer heads and 2x10 or 2x12 cabs. Easier to carry and easier to pack it well when taking it somewhere. Usually i put a head in a case i built and i cover the front part of a cab with a piece of plywood.

If you need smaller look at the smaller heads. Such as certain jubilees are smaller in size but still wonderful.

edit: and don't forget about fender amps either. A 60s bassman or 60s or 70s twin/super reverb with a maxon tubescreamer infront of it is just amazing.
jcm 800's come in 50 watt 2 channel combos if that hasn't been established already.

you should really check out a traynor ycv 50 blue, fender cleans, and drive that reminds me of a marshall.
Quote by ClassicAxe

consider anything derek suggests, He IS a gain VVhore you know
Quote by jj1565
derek, will you go out wt me?

President Gain Whore -group on profile