DISCLAIMER: I am not advocating use of this forum for the posting of recordings or anything. It could all be done in the Cover Recordings forum.

But anyway, would there be any interest in a solo bass cover contest? Like Applehead could do chromatic fantasy if he wanted, I could do Blackbird or Hard to concentrate, w/e. I just thought it'd be interesting to do a bass only (with maybe some vocals) cover contest. Comments? Yes/No?
Ernie Ball Musicman Stingray > Digitech BP200 > Gallien Krueger 400RBIII/115

Co-President of the fIREHOSE fANCLUB. PM Me, Tedrick, or Incubus_Science to join.

Quote by crazypeanutman

damn yertle, you got some groove
Last edited by Yertle at Jun 15, 2006,
hello mate,

I'd be up for that. But i think we should make it less of a contest and more of a fun thing for people to post up a recording of themselves playing a song. Also, i dont think it needs to only be solo bass songs. As i said somewhere else before, if you EQ out the bass of a song and then record yourself playing we can see how well people play the songs they say they can. I've been honest and said i can only play it at about 3/4 speed, which means i cant play it really i guess. But there are songs i can play properly which i would be happy to record. I'm a bit busy with my band at the moment but in the next week is should be able to post something. My band is recording our first EP this weekend and i have a gig tomorrow night, and the england match is tonight!
DONT treat it like a competition

UtbDan isn't fond of competitions

but seriuosly, he's gonna come here with his big fancy mod suit sayin "howdy boys.. hey wait... didnt i tell you nooo darnnn conterrsstsss!!!" (western accent)

and then we'll do that bored out of our mind stare "yess.... dan......."

yeahhh thats the life for us UG Bassists lol. redo this in the cover song recording section, and rethink the rules a bit:

1) not a contest
2) dont "sign up" for it, just post your thing, if you remember that Bass Comp Contest a while back (this year i thitnk, spring time), a lot of people signed up and never recorded, which was a bummer and lead to the defeat of said thread.
Someone could play Space Cowboy!...Or someone can record themself (video, webcam, etc) playing Classical Thump because I want to see hows its done, I think my technique is wrong...

Anyways, I think this would be a good idea (even though similar threads have been done before) and it could be a good learning experience for a lot of us who record and listen to other recordings...I wont be able to participate though because I have no recording software and not enough confidence in my solo-playing abilities yet

And I think it should be less of a competition like Applehead and Manga said...

BTW Applehead whats up with your sig??...Everytime I read it I cant help but laugh...I dont know why...

"It's like, how much more black could this be? And the answer is none. None more black"
"All matter is merely energy condensed into a slow vibration and we're all one consciousness experiencing ourselves subjectively, theres no such thing as death, life is just a dream and we're the imagination of ourselves."
Yeah, i agree with the blade that is manga. However, i should like to point out Dan did say that it's "our forum", so if a majority think it's a good idea and we manage it properly, then i'm sure he wouldn't mind too much. As long as we keep it in the Recordings forum?

edit: I'll play Space Cowboy ! ! !

XeNoCiDe730, my Sig is a quote from Spinal Tap. Tell me you've seen Spinal Tap man ! ! ! And yeah, it makes me laugh too bro
spinal tap ftw!!! yeah i've read your sig

i cant keep folding this!!!

turn it up to 11!!!

if we keep it in the recordings forum, dan isnt ALLOWED to mind ;P
Still, I'd rather it be pretty much a bass only type thing, with maybe drums or vocals. I think it would be more interesting, and we wouldn't have like 13 people playing RHCP songs to backing tracks.

Co-President of the fIREHOSE fANCLUB. PM Me, Tedrick, or Incubus_Science to join.

Quote by crazypeanutman

Quote by Applehead
Yeah, i agree with the blade that is manga. However, i should like to point out Dan did say that it's "our forum", so if a majority think it's a good idea and we manage it properly, then i'm sure he wouldn't mind too much. As long as we keep it in the Recordings forum?

edit: I'll play Space Cowboy ! ! !

XeNoCiDe730, my Sig is a quote from Spinal Tap. Tell me you've seen Spinal Tap man ! ! ! And yeah, it makes me laugh too bro

Quote by mangablade
spinal tap ftw!!! yeah i've read your sig

i cant keep folding this!!!

turn it up to 11!!!

if we keep it in the recordings forum, dan isnt ALLOWED to mind ;P

Apparently I should go see this Spinal Tap movie of which you speak...I'll get it on right away!
"All matter is merely energy condensed into a slow vibration and we're all one consciousness experiencing ourselves subjectively, theres no such thing as death, life is just a dream and we're the imagination of ourselves."
If I can get my US-122 software installed again then I'll totally do it. I call Amazing Grace.
wicked. yeah, how about we implement a calling system. ie, no one else can now do Amazing Grace or Space Cowboy. That way, we wont have loads of people doing the same thing...
I'm sorry, but the way people "keep their promises" here, I'm not going to do this one.

Dictator For Life of the fIREHOSE fANCLUB. PM Me, Tedrick, or Yertle to join.
Yea we haven't had much success with new gear reviews or BOTM's or anything - thus the informal nature of the thread.

Quote by crazypeanutman

Quote by Incubus_SCIENCE
I'm sorry, but the way people "keep their promises" here, I'm not going to do this one.

thats why i suggested its not " im in" kind of thing, more that people just post if they wish to, end of story.
Contests usually never work for lazy peepz like us.
Member #8 of the "I Love Waterbears" club!! PM Phantom lord363 to join

Member #2 of the "I love Mexican food" club. PM frozen-dirt to join.

Machine-gun tappist of the Bass Militia. PM Duff_McGee or IndieMetalhead to join.

LOL @ RABBIT
Incubus, it's not a comp, so if you wanna post something, cool... if not, cool.. there is no rush for any of us, no deadline like last time. Come on, you must have a song you love playing you'd be up for recording.

And yeah as for BOTM, i've posted about that in the Forum Rules thread
if its a recording contest, go to the recordings forum.

BOTM will be up late Saturday night. I have to graduate tonight... my apologies for not putting mine up.
Quote by casualty01
the RIAA can't shut us down, interpol can't shut us down. the U.S. gov't can't shut us down and CERTAINLY not YOU can shut us down.

BA in Music theory
MusicMan Bongo, SUB -> Orange Terror 1000 stack

Quote by waterproofpie
it's a UtBDan sandwich. Awwww yeah!