can i control an ENGL SE head with a rocktron midi mate footcontroller or do I have to buy one of the ENGL footswitches?
If it says it has a built in midi interface, you can use any midi controller.
"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wiseman knows himself to be a fool." - W.S.
amp clips
amp vids
also i forgot to ask how good is the noise gate on the head?? i have a rocktron hush super c rack unit and i love it, but the one thing that caught my eye is that the heads noise gate is midi programable which is awesome for switching from distortion to clean (id have to roll the threshold back on the rack unit). considering the heads gate would be more convienent, is it actually good enough (at least close to my rack unit) where its worth ditching my rack unit?
I only experimented with a noise gate on a head slightly and no it was nothing compared to what you'll get with a rack unit. It wasn't a se but i'm guessing the technology is not much different.
you could set your rack noise gate to a low threshold for the clean, and just use the one on the head for the high gain?

or actually, the fx loops on the SE are midi asignable, so you can set it up for the high-gain channels, and just switch it out for cleans/low gain.
Quote by ClassicAxe

consider anything derek suggests, He IS a gain VVhore you know
Quote by jj1565
derek, will you go out wt me?

President Gain Whore -group on profile
thats awesome to hear.. ill keep my unit.. how is the reverb? should i get a unit or depend on the amp?
the reverb should be midi selectable as well. and if you like it, keep it. if it's not quite your thing you could get a midi rack reverb unit if you wanted.
Quote by ClassicAxe

consider anything derek suggests, He IS a gain VVhore you know
Quote by jj1565
derek, will you go out wt me?

President Gain Whore -group on profile
I own a Engl SE(EL34). The reverb on the amp is surprisingly good, I don't think you will need to use outside reverb on it. The noise gate on the SE is good as well but the ISP Technologies Decimator Pro Rack G I have is definitely much better and I think it would be a good idea to invest in one.
Gear:
Guitars: BC Rich.
Amps: Diezel, Engl & Peavey.
Cabinets: Bogner & Diezel.
Miscellaneous: ISP Decimator Pro Rack G.