Page 1 of 2
I?m interested in possibly getting a Fender Strat ? probably standard/Mexican as I?m also looking for a fairly big amp purchase soon.

I currently have a Squier Strat (first guitar) that I still play because I like the ?strat? sound, although due to the ?squierness? of it my Gibson Les Paul gets played more.

Basically I play mostly indie/funk/alt rock kinda thing and I?m finding my Les Paul is more of a classic/hard rock guitar (although I?m sure my Cube 60 isn?t helping much ).

I hear a lot of people round here say Fat Strats are more versatile and basically a better buy than a normal, 3 single coil Strat. Is this just to give the versatility of playing some hard rock/metal? I?m wondering what kinda tones I?ll be loosing by choosing the bridge humbucker over the bridge single coil? What advantages does having a single coil in the bridge have over a humbucker?

Obviously I?ll be trying both these guitars out before I make a purchase, I was just interested in getting a few opinions together first.

I?m not sure if I?m going to keep my Les Paul at the moment, it?s just I?ve started noticing a few small things I don?t like about it: the weight (not so much), the neck (just a little to fat), etc. Lastly, although I?ve never played a high end Strat there are several bands/artists who I know play Strats and can get a very nice sound out of them. I love the lead guitar sound on the new Zutons album (is this a strat? I know one plays a strat and another guitarist plays a les paul some of the time) and I?ve always loved Frusciante?s sound.

Sorry for the long post,

Thanks for any replies
- Gibson Les Paul Studio
- Squier Standard Strat
- Roland Cube 60
- Visual Sound Jekyll & Hyde
- Boss OD-3
- Behringer EQ700
i would agree as i have played a fat strat and i also love the frusciante sound.... the fat is a lot more versatile and would reccomend it to the end of the earth

its also what i am getting soon so rock on me!!!! \m/

hope that helps a little!!
Quote by SamDking
I?m wondering what kinda tones I?ll be loosing by choosing the bridge humbucker over the bridge single coil? What advantages does having a single coil in the bridge have over a humbucker?

That's a good question. Can anyone answer this? Cause I would also like to know.

American Stratocaster + Blues Junior

I never use the bridge singlecoil on my strat, but I still wouldn't want a humbucker there, because it would change the middle + bridge sound, which is friggin brilliant as it is.

By the way, a bridge singlecoil is much more useful if it has a tone control, which it does on some strats, and on others it's an easy mod.
^^^ It'd be a little different, yeah. Anyway, I don't think you could get it so it wasn't slanted w/o making a custom pickguard and probably routing out the body a bit, too.
Feel free to ignore my ranting.

Member of the Self-Taught Club.

A recent study shows that 8% of teenagers listen to nothing but music with guitars in it. Put this in your sig if you're one of the 92% who isn't a close-minded moron.
Zutons dude uses a Burns, I seem to recall.

Anyway, IMO the best strat tone is from the neck or middle positions, but since you already have a humbucker guitar, I'd get the SSS. Bridge singles are better than they get credit for.
^ I saw them on Late Night with Jools Holland I think the singer was using a Strat and the other guitarist was using a gold Les Paul - maybe a Goldtop?

The singer was plugged into either a Peavey Classic or a Fender Hot Rod and the other guitarist was definitely plugged into a couple of Hot Rods. It was several weeks ago now though.
- Gibson Les Paul Studio
- Squier Standard Strat
- Roland Cube 60
- Boss OD-3
- Behringer EQ700
Last edited by SamDking at Jun 16, 2006,
Quote by SamDking
^ I saw them on Late Night with Jools Holland I think the singer was using a Strat and the other guitarist was using a gold Les Paul - maybe a Goldtop?

The singer was plugged into either a Peavey Classic or a Fender Hot Rod and the other guitarist was definitely plugged into a couple of Hot Rods. It was several weeks ago now though.

Yea they seem to always use Fender amps, amazing band though! I missed the chance of seeing them live though, damn website that didn't let me buy tickets....

Anyway... Get a Strat, not a blasphemous "Fat Strat" if you already have a humbuckered guitar, so you'll be able to appreciate the true meaning of "Strat"....yea....

And the other Zutons guitarist (forgot his name...) uses a big semi-hollow Gibson Goldtop of some sort, so your LP could handle that type of stuff.

Ooo, how's the amp hunt coming along then Sam?
"Breathe, breathe in the air
Don't be afraid to care"

Fender Strat/Tokai LS80>few pedals>Orange Rocker 30
^ Thanks for the info. Do you have their new album? I'm really liking the overdriven sounds they're getting on it, I guess they must use an OD or two? And I'm sure I saw the other guitarist using a Les Paul.

I've just had my second to last A level exam, last on Tuesday - then it's out shopping

In my head and without trying them I've narrowed it down to:

- Orange Rocker 30. Would be able to handle any overdriven sounds cos it's got plenty of gain, I hear. Plus cleans are very nice. However no reverb or fx loop
- Fender Blues Junior/Hot Rod Deluxe. The Hot Rod Deluxe may be overkill for me. Blues Junior might be enough wattage. Need an OD also.
- Vox AC30. Great cleans/mild overdrive. 2x12 model is a bit pricey though.
- Gibson Les Paul Studio
- Squier Standard Strat
- Roland Cube 60
- Boss OD-3
- Behringer EQ700
^Damn right

Quote by SamDking
^ Thanks for the info. Do you have their new album? I'm really liking the overdriven sounds they're getting on it, I guess they must use an OD or two? And I'm sure I saw the other guitarist using a Les Paul.

I've just had my second to last A level exam, last on Tuesday - then it's out shopping

In my head and without trying them I've narrowed it down to:

- Orange Rocker 30. Would be able to handle any overdriven sounds cos it's got plenty of gain, I hear. Plus cleans are very nice. However no reverb or fx loop
- Fender Blues Junior/Hot Rod Deluxe. The Hot Rod Deluxe may be overkill for me. Blues Junior might be enough wattage. Need an OD also.
- Vox AC30. Great cleans/mild overdrive. 2x12 model is a bit pricey though.

Wow, that's quite a selection.
Personally, I wouldn't be able to choose, I've played them all q a bit, and love them all (I've got the Blues Jr, sounds amazing, and takes pedals really really well), so it's up to you!!!

Yea, I've got their new album, I've got a magazine article of them talking about the gear they used, I'll read it again and give you a bit of info about them.....

My last AS exam was last week, after that, I went pedal shopping to celebrate, Ooo yea

Good luck with it all!
Don't be afraid to care"

^ Wow, I didn't know you were doing AS's, I imagined you were way older than that! For some reason I thought you were in your twenties! Weird...

I can't wait to go try some amps out. I'm also gonna check out some Strats and Hollowbodies - it seems a lot of the bands I like the sound of have them.
- Gibson Les Paul Studio
- Squier Standard Strat
- Roland Cube 60
- Boss OD-3
- Behringer EQ700
Haha...cheers... I guess.... 17 next Wednesday actually

Are you thinking of buying a guitar aswell? Or just playing for curiosity?
Don't be afraid to care"

Partly curiosity, I haven't played a lot of guitars and I'd like to get a bit more knowledgable of different guitars and what kinda sounds they're good for.

But another part of me wonders if I'd be better with another guitar. A strat or a hollowbody, perhaps. For the most part, I like the sound I can get out of my Les Paul, it's just sometimes I feel it isn't the sound I want from my setup. This could just me yearning for a valve amp, I guess time will tell.
- Gibson Les Paul Studio
- Squier Standard Strat
- Roland Cube 60
- Boss OD-3
- Behringer EQ700
3 single coils seems a bit like overkill. It's fine when your Strat is a vintage collector's item or a designated SC guitar... but when it's your main/only guitar, a humbucker can really widen your horizons.

Fat Strats are guitars for the 21st century.

Last edited by Armored Artist at Jun 16, 2006,
For someone who doesn't play any metal, though, would I need a humbucker?

I guess a humbucker beats a single coil for some harder rock, though?
- Gibson Les Paul Studio
- Squier Standard Strat
- Roland Cube 60
- Boss OD-3
- Behringer EQ700
I mostly play Blues/Rock. But I do get a craving for some heavy riffs and screaming leads sometimes. And having them accessible at the tip of the switch appeals to me.

So you'd say the extra advantage of having a humbucker in the bridge out weighs the disadvantage of not having a single coil there? If that makes any sense..

The only thing I worry about if I get a Fat Strat is I'll loose some classic single coil songs in the bridge. But as Danno said a Strat is more known for its middle and neck pickups.
- Gibson Les Paul Studio
- Squier Standard Strat
- Roland Cube 60
- Boss OD-3
- Behringer EQ700
I guess it comes down to individual preference/requirements. I don't have a humbucker guitar, so a Fat Strat would meet my needs better than an SSS. But if you already have a good humbucker guitar, your high-output needs are covered, so getting an SSS will probably give you a wider overall range of tones. That is, your LP will do the heavy lifting and the Strat will do the singing.

I say get a new amp before anything else. If you're keeping that les paul... well, a cube60 barely won't do justice even to a lower end MIM strat.

A new amp will improve your tone so much, and since you already got a squier, i think it'd be better saving up for an american strat if thats your favourite guitar type.

Thats my 2 cents anyway..
What are you talking about? The Cube is one of the best solid state amps on the market. It's no tube amp, but an excellent amp nontheless. It's got a great clean channel too.

^ Which is the reason why I'm wondering if a change of guitar would suit my needs best.

Although a small (15-30 watt) valve amp is on the cards for me in the near future.
- Gibson Les Paul Studio
- Squier Standard Strat
- Roland Cube 60
- Boss OD-3
- Behringer EQ700
Quote by Armored Artist
What are you talking about? The Cube is one of the best solid state amps on the market. It's no tube amp, but an excellent amp nontheless. It's got a great clean channel too.

Its a good beginner amp, no doubt. But this is a guy who joined UG almost two years ago, which tells me that he's been playing at least 1 and a half years. If you've got the cash, its better to buy a new amp at that point, than a new guitar, especially if he's got a gibson studio from before.

You say you want better tone? I guarantee the best upgrade in tone would come from a new amp.

Edit: But if you're deadset on getting a new guitar, i'd get the fat strat

Its just that i think the amp will do your tone a better justice
A beginner amp? Like I said, it's no tube amp, but it's far from a beginner amp. To say that a Cube 60 won't do justice to a MIM Fender is just not true.

I agree that a valve amp would improve the tone more than anything -- everyone knows that most of a guitarist's tone comes from the amp. What I don't agree with is your implication that the Cube is substandard. But, I guess everyone is entitled to their opinion.

I like my Cube - some of the time. And I like my LP - some of the time.

I'm probably gonna go with the amp change, but I'm definitely gonna try out some other guitars. It may just be that I'm not suited to a Les Paul. Or that my ear for tone has developed past a solid state amp.

Edit - I will've been playing 2 years in July I think. Wow, has it really been that long?
- Gibson Les Paul Studio
- Squier Standard Strat
- Roland Cube 60
- Boss OD-3
- Behringer EQ700
^Well, take it from someone who's actually owned a cube for nearly 1 year, its just not good enough. A tube amp is a whole new world.

You can't even compare the sound of a tube amp and a solid state. Its ridiculous really.

Also, the cube is a long shot off from being the best solid state on the market. You really don't need to look farther than randall to find one IMO. But if he's gonna spend money on gear when he's already got a gibson les paul, and his amp is a solid state cube 60, i find it rather strange that you advice him to go ahead on the MIM strat

Edit: that was to armored artist btw.

And if you're happy with your cube, then go ahead and get a guitar. I assumed that you didn't like the tone you had. Anyway, rock on hehe. I love cliches

Last edited by taper_fra_nord at Jun 16, 2006,
I bet it's a valve amp you're craving, but you never know!

Oh yea, when you go out trying amps, definately take your guitar, it helps so much to get an idea what the amp's like.
Don't be afraid to care"

if you want a single coil in the bridge, but also want a humbucker sometimes, why don't you get the fat strat and coil-split it, j/w if that'd work right, idk what it'd sound like, just a suggestion though
^But it would lack the Strat mojo.
Don't be afraid to care"

the way i kept my bridge strat useful, was by putting in a hot rails.

it looks like a strat, quacks like a strat, and still gives me the extra output for the dirtiest sounds.

i say go for the SSS model and mod it out with stacked or railed pups. the stacked dimarzios look exactly like the stock ones, they run silent and sound great.

when u start out wt a humbucker bridge, u miss out on ur highest treble pup having a single coil sound.
so ull losing the high end quack. not everyone likes that sound anyway, so maybe its no big loss. but u asked what's mising besides the look , and thats it.

fake edit:
and if ur playing for a year and have a cube 60, omg ur doing well. i dont know what he's talking about. ^
u can gig wt a cube 60. is it a clean tube sound? no.
but its a great SS.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
Quote by taper_fra_nord
^Well, take it from someone who's actually owned a cube for nearly 1 year, its just not good enough. A tube amp is a whole new world.

You can't even compare the sound of a tube amp and a solid state. Its ridiculous really.

Also, the cube is a long shot off from being the best solid state on the market. You really don't need to look farther than randall to find one IMO. But if he's gonna spend money on gear when he's already got a gibson les paul, and his amp is a solid state cube 60, i find it rather strange that you advice him to go ahead on the MIM strat

Edit: that was to armored artist btw.

Take it from someone who has owned a Cube for much longer than a year. Still own it and still love it for what it is -- a good solid state amp. Nobody is trying to compare SS to valves, so stop chasing your own tail.

Secondly, I did not at any point advise the threadstarter to get a MIM. He asked a question regarding MIMs and I answered. Make an effort to pay attention.

I think I've started an argument that didn't need to be started. It's pointless arguing over this, guys.

And Jenny, I'm confused. Was that sarcarsm? And intended for taper_fra_nord?
- Gibson Les Paul Studio
- Squier Standard Strat
- Roland Cube 60
- Boss OD-3
- Behringer EQ700
negative sam. ^
i meant it when i said that the cube 60 was a good amp.
and i only said its good for only playing a year, because of something the other guy said. something like, 'if uve been playing a year u should think of upgrading from (the cube 60).'

i thought that was a little silly to say. (a better word escapes me right now.)
but im certainly not arguing wt anyone. we're all entitled to be wrong.

as for the strat, i say check out some stacked singles.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
^The reason i said that, was because your tone for ear... reverse that... improves all the while you're playing. It only took me half a year to be sick and tired of my cube. It took me another half year to save up enough for my mesa.

While it might suit the preferance of some people, i think most would be pretty tired of a cube after a year..

There's no argument as far as im concerned, only an exchange of opinions...

.. which might be the same thing, i dunno

Quote by amazingdm
would the mid+bridge sound be really different just because it's no longer slanted?

the middle and neck pickups are wound extra hot to blend with the humbucker.
Quote by taper_fra_nord
i think most would be pretty tired of a cube after a year..

:

I've had my Cube for eight months, and I'm FAR away from getting tired of the damn thing. Hell, I've been tweaking my EQ and still getting amazing sounds out of it.

I guess you're not playing Metal then.
Jackson SLSMG Soloist (JB/Jazz)
Roland Micro Cube

Member of UG's gain \/\/hores-pm gpderek09 to join.
Page 1 of 2