I've been wondering this for ages, because I love his style and the fact that he doesn't use a pick. Anyway, I have a series of questions;

1) How does he get fast runs. In some videos it looks like he alternates between his thumb and first finger, but I thought he might use tremolo picking

2) How does he achieve that sound? Like on the solo in sultans of swing, its a bit rough and dampened. Is that the guitar or is he doing it with his hands. I know he mutes strings after he plays them with his thumb a lot.

I know it seems like a silly question but I've searched and can't find anything.

Basically I want to know whether he uses a special style of finger picking or a conventional one, i.e thumb on the 3 bass strings mostly etc

Thanks for your help.

P.s. I know its a difficult question so please don't post things like "how do I know")
he developed his style of fingerpicking on his own as far as i can tell. one of the self taught fellows.
he has possibly the most amazingly expensive guitar ever. according to my friend, it cosl £2 million, and all of the magnets on the pickups are adjusted to exactly the right height. and don't forget the supafastfingeraction
Quote by mishra
he developed his style of fingerpicking on his own as far as i can tell. one of the self taught fellows.

I kinda guessed that yeh.

I've tried with a few things, like I can pick fast alternating between my thumb and forefinger, but I've seen videos and I've absolutely no idea what he's doing the rest of the time though.

I'll stick with it though, because it'd be great to achieve anything like his tone.

And if possible I'd rather not shell out £2m for a guitar, my Squier is just as good thanks
Quote by Baarmy_Sheep
he has possibly the most amazingly expensive guitar ever. according to my friend, it cosl £2 million, and all of the magnets on the pickups are adjusted to exactly the right height. and don't forget the supafastfingeraction

Nowadays he plays Pensa guitars, but when he recorded 'Sultans of Swing' he just played a normal strat.
He used to use vinstage Strats, but now he uses Suhr guitar, i think. His Sultans tone come from the bridge/mid position of a strat, with a bit of compression to smooth out the highs and make the notes pop out a bit more
My gear;

Custom HSS Strat (eBay'ed parts)
Fender Acoustic
DOD EQ
EH Big Muff
Home-made Wah
Home-made Booster
Laney LC15

Looking for a Jazz Bass body to refinish

My DeviantArt Page, MySpace Profile