Hello,

Consider me a newb in the amp department. I recently jammed at a friends house and found his Line 6 amp amazing. For the last 3 years I've just played off my 45 watt marshall amp (don't even like it, but it does what it needs to). So I'm wondering, what makes a Line 6 amp sound so good??? What other amps have that sound too? I read another thread about Spider II Line 6 amps and Roland Cubes, why is the Roland Square so good?

I really want to visit guitar center and get a better amp, so here's the first place for questions.

thanks
Last edited by btbam8614 at Jun 15, 2006,
Quote by llanafreak44
most people here think line 6 suck, be prepared

ha, thats alrite. Like I said, I played one the other day and really liked it. So for those who do not like Line 6, what's better??? and why???

(I'm going for a metal sound too, if that helps any)
Roland Square

The Line 6 is a horrible amp, if you were thinking about buying it, don't. It sounds cold and digital and is near impossible to get a decent sound out of. The Roland CUBE on the other hand is on of the best solid-state amps you can buy. That is, if metal is your bag. If not than check out the Vox ADVT series as they are the best practice amps and beat the roland cube in everything except metal.

Edit: Since you're going for a metal sound go with the Roland Cube, unless you've got enough for a tube combo, then check out Ashdown, Laney, and some Peaveys.
Quote by GiantRaven
I'm sure theres a Nigerian king just waiting for you to reply to his email
They're Roland "Cubes" not "Squares." And all of those modeling amps sort of prove that just because you can reproduce sound digitally doesn't mean you should They do a bunch of sounds, all "ok" but nothing fantastic. I would take a one or two trick pony tube amp over any modeler any day. It also depends on what kind of music you're trying to play. After playing for 3 years, though, I would hope your ear would be a little more discerning than to think a Line 6 Spider was a great amp

Edit: Wow, people were all over this like white on rice.
Hi, I'm Peter
Quote by Dirk Gently
They're Roland "Cubes" not "Squares." And all of those modeling amps sort of prove that just because you can reproduce sound digitally doesn't mean you should They do a bunch of sounds, all "ok" but nothing fantastic. I would take a one or two trick pony tube amp over any modeler any day. It also depends on what kind of music you're trying to play. After playing for 3 years, though, I would hope your ear would be a little more discerning than to think a Line 6 Spider was a great amp

ha, I was confused at first as to who you were posting too. I didn't even realize I called it a square.

happy to see some fast responses, I want to check out guitar center later in the afternoon, so the more input now the better.
Quote by Dirk Gently

Quote by GiantRaven
i'm lookin 4 new 2...
i surveyed both roland cube 15 n line 6 spider ii (15 watts)..
line 6 looks cool n more expensive thn roland...
so guys i need more explanations 2 prove tht roland is better line 6 or line 6 better than roland as fast as possible...
Cube > Spider

Cube is cheaper than the Spider.

Cube is easier to use than the Sider.

Cube isn't lifeless and sterile.

Cube has great metal tones and decent cleans, the spider has neither.

All in all it's your opinion, but you sound really biased towards the Line 6. It's up to you but I guarantee you'll regret getting a Line 6 Spider.
Quote by GiantRaven
I link line 6 must have a really big profit margin, every time I go to my local guitar store to look at anything, for strings or an acoustic guitar, the salesmen try to get me to buy a line 6 amp. The guy who was showing it to me new nothing about it either. It sounded lame.
update:

kinda disappointed. I called the nearest Guitar Center and they did not have a Roland Cube 60 or 30 in stock. They told me to try to find the cheapest price and bring it to them and they will beat it and order it....but i have to play one before I have them order it for me.

next step?
update:

talked to guitar center again, got them to order a Roland Cube 60 and see if I like it for $300 even. If I don't like it, no obligation to purchase. So we'll see how it goes come Tuesday how it all goes down.
Quote by megadeth_online
waw...
people hate the spider...
but its the best amp in da market for 15 watt
it's really not. Meet the Vox Valvetronix AD-15VT

Line 6 spiders have a horrible, sterile, digital tone.
DO NOT however, get the cube 15.
Cubes COMPLETELY pwn Spiders, but ONLY because of the modelling that they have.
The Cube 15 do not have the modelling that makes them so great. If you need an amp that small, get the microcube. Or get the Cube 30 and just dont crank it up

Quote by Pookie6
Yngwi3, You win this whole monstrosity of a thread.

Quote by uk.mace
For the best tingle, use Original Source mint. That shit feels amazing on your balls.

Godfather of The Diezel Mafia
If your amp is worse than a Spider then it will seem like a step up (did for me) however this feeling only lasts for a few days then you realise how unexciting it really is. I'v seen an Ashdown FA that sounds 10 times better than my amp and costs about the same as my Spider.
Gear
Ibanez GAX75 (first guitar and how i hate it...)
ESP LTD M200FM (I love red)
Randall Warhead. Oldschool.