Page 3 of 10
the name joy division comes from a legion of the nazi army where they would gang rape the women. my friend told me that can someone confirm if thats true. becouse hes a lieing bastard
I HATE YOU
Quote by _zac_
ill flame as much as i damn well please

suck my balls
Quote by jazza1234
the name joy division comes from a legion of the nazi army where they would gang rape the women. my friend told me that can someone confirm if thats true. becouse hes a lieing bastard

I believe it was certain parts of the city where hookers tended to hang out for the soldiers and whatnot. I may be wrong.
Poor advice.
Quote by jazza1234

It's from the name of parts of concentration camps where the Nazis would rape jewish women.
Wade in the water, child.
Whatever happened to a simple Google search?

Warsaw renamed themselves Joy Division in late 1977 in order to avoid confusion with the London punk band Warsaw Pakt. Joy Division refers to a group of women used as sex slaves in Nazi concentration camps
According to BS statistics, 92% of teens have moved on to rap. If you're among the 8% who doesn't consider rap to be real music, donate your brains, as you clearly aren't using them.
^Where's it from?
According to BS statistics, 92% of teens have moved on to rap. If you're among the 8% who doesn't consider rap to be real music, donate your brains, as you clearly aren't using them.
Joy Division are awesome.

I also have their Warsaw (pre JD stuff) lying around on my computer.
My Last.FM page. Add me!

Quote by severed-metal
I frequent so many big dick forums it's ridiculous

PSN name: sixty5days
wanna joy division free mp3s?click www.mcr.ru then click on music option, 3 albums, uknown pleasure, komackino, and substance. the rest try new orderonline, there should be one rm file of love will tear us apart video. when i First listened to joy division, i thought this music was nothing but a plain punk, but then after i downloaded more of their songs and read the lyrics again more deeply, i realised i was meant for this.The darkness, the coldness of it, no death metal nor gothic bands can match. When youre talking about agressive you can point slayer, but when you're talking about evil, say ian curtis and joy division!
^Whoa nice, thanks for the link. Have to disagree about the évilness bit, I never got that kind of vibe from JD. You may wanna hide that link though, there might be trouble if a mod sees.
I just got Substance, and I like it. I had never heard Joy Division before I got it, only Love Will Tear Us Apart once. But that was like a couple of years ago when I thought it was worthless music because "0mG the3y g0t n0 guit4rz, lolz". I realize now that they do, but it's just not as apparent as regular rock. Not that music got to include guitar, but.. yeah, you know what I mean.
I'm very much into 'Unknown Pleasures' but if you want I can get 'Closer'
Joy Division is simply just one of the best bands that has ever existed. Period. Unknown Pleasures I prefer, simply because it flows as an album much better than Closer, though there are some stand out tracks on Closer such as Atrocity Exhibition and Twenty-Four Hours.

And Interpol can't compare.
i am member no. 3 of the 'coheed and cambria fan club' interested? pm CoheedANDnofx6.

"I'm against picketing, but I don't know how to show it"
-Mitch Hedberg
Joy Divison SUCK!

Joy Division, on the other hand...
Joy Division was a great band, last year I went to see New Order and they rocked it was an incredible show, though the sound wasnt too good because the speakers were crap, but it was pretty good though.
yes incredible.

Hey I dunno if this has been asked already but is it Klo-ser or Kloz-er?
Jesse Wants To Die Just As Much As You Want Him Dead
I'm not really sure...I've always assumed "Closer" as in the last thing, as it was Ian Curtis' last recordings before killing himself.
LOL what a tiny detail

IMO it's CloSer.
Yeah I say Closer, as in getting close to something.
Quote by gallagher2006
Anyone heard Ceremony? Such a great song...too bad they never got the chance to record it

Yeah, its a great track. But I think the fact it was only performed once adds to its beauty.
Quote by вяaи∂ иєw
Yeah, its a great track. But I think the fact it was only performed once adds to its beauty.

Too bad the only Live version starts half way through the bloody track and the Rehearsal version mixed Ians Vocals too low
I always think if I could bring one musician back from the dead it would be Ian Curtis. I don't really understand what went so completely wrong in his life that made him want to kill himself. He had a loving and mum and father and friends, he was a good student in school but then at the same time he had such powerful and dreary thoughts that must've ended up deadly ones.

Well i'm reading a biography on him at the moment. Hopefully I will be informed.
i still wanna see that damn Joy Division movie but i haven't heard a word about it.

Quote by Goon
I always think if I could bring one musician back from the dead it would be Ian Curtis. I don't really understand what went so completely wrong in his life that made him want to kill himself. He had a loving and mum and father and friends, he was a good student in school but then at the same time he had such powerful and dreary thoughts that must've ended up deadly ones.

Well i'm reading a biography on him at the moment. Hopefully I will be informed.

Apparently he'd also wanted to commit suicide in his 20s. *shrug* I won't bother to dig into his psyche, I'm a fan but not that much.

Can't wait for the movie though,
There's a movie? That'll be good. I've only got "Love will tear us apart" from closer, but i've got unknown pleasures, great album. "New Dawn fades" is my favourite from the album, there's so much emotion in it.
Back and sexier than ever

Co-founder and #1 member of The Pick-Eater's club. PM me to join.
n00baid member - PM draken to join
WOW there's some ignorance in this thread
Jackson KV2
Epiphone SG-Special
Freshman FA1 AWR
Roland Cube 15

Member of
'girls of UG club’
PM Noxiosimitator to join
Quote by Goon

He cheated on his wife and couldn't bear the guilt as they were about to be divorced. He felt that he let everyone down as a husband and human being, so thought that he had nothing worth living for.

Poor Ian Curtis...I can only imagine what Joy Division would have sounded like had he lived to finish "Ceremony" and "In A Lonely Place", and if the new tracks would be on par with these.
Quote by ninewhilenine
WOW there's some ignorance in this thread

ok...

well today when i was walking down the street listening to Digital off Substance i realized that it's full of hope. Like the line "Don't have to fade away" to me meant get out there and do something with your life. and then the line "feeling it closing in" to me meant that you're about to go crazy or whatever like things are looking down, but then with the other line above, to me it's like, no matter what, you have to try and you can do smething with your life. Very cliche message but very inspiring coming for Joy Division.

Isn't the line "Don't ever fade away, I need you here today"?

Trivial, but I like ppl to get such a wonderful lyricists words right
Quote by gallagher2006
Isn't the line "Don't ever fade away, I need you here today"?

Trivial, but I like ppl to get such a wonderful lyricists words right

oh damn it is!
but the point and feeling is still the same

I got a haircut today, gave the lady a picture of Ian Curtis to model it off of.

Now I look like a fucking, fucking, fucking moron.
Wade in the water, child.
Quote by gallagher2006
He cheated on his wife and couldn't bear the guilt as they were about to be divorced. He felt that he let everyone down as a husband and human being, so thought that he had nothing worth living for.

He did apparently have a death wish and wanted to die young. Let us not forget that.

The anniversary of his death approaches fast.... anyone gonna do anything special on the day?

Oh, and are there any Joy Division B-sides and rarities that aren't on the albums? I've seen a lot of bootlegs around...
Quote by raise_the_dead
He did apparently have a death wish and wanted to die young. Let us not forget that.

The anniversary of his death approaches fast.... anyone gonna do anything special on the day?

Oh, and are there any Joy Division B-sides and rarities that aren't on the albums? I've seen a lot of bootlegs around...

****! I just wrote a HUGE message explaining where to get this material and which I'd recommend, but as usual ****ing AOL crashes while Im on UG....

The short of it is though, get "Heart and Soul" for SOME outtakes.

Alright, will do. It's just that in the independent stores, the JD sections are filled with bootlegs and EPs which I've never heard of. I guess they're live bootlegs or something. But thanks for the advice.