Page 5 of 10
Quote by Peterjs
Joy Devision is kind of a joke for me. I can stand them, but not much goes for the Vocalist... People say that Interpol was influenced by them, but I would be willing to buy Interpol cds... Which I have... And still no Joy Devision albums...

Paul Banks has pretty much modelled his vocal style on Ian Curtiss, as has the singer from the Editors. If Paul is saying he's never heard and Joy Division a) He's a complete musical numbskull, particularly with the type of band he's in and b) He's talking absolute bollocks.

Quote by AWA
I like New Order. The fact that they're recording new Joy Division material kinda goes against the whole point of New Order existing, though.

I agree, New Order are a totally different kettle of fish in my book, and although I like them a lot, they should leave that stuff alone. They're absolute arseholes though, my parents went to see them and they played the whole show with their back to the crowd, didn't say a word.
I will never travel brandishing a sharp tongue, out of fear of piercing my own heart...
Quote by YourLastAffront
I agree, New Order are a totally different kettle of fish in my book, and although I like them a lot, they should leave that stuff alone. They're absolute arseholes though, my parents went to see them and they played the whole show with their back to the crowd, didn't say a word.

They must have been having a bad day or something cos I went to see them last year and they put on a ....alright, not fantastic show. On most songs they didn't even appear to be playing instruments, just letting the electronics do the talking =/

But on songs liek "Ceremony" and "True Faith" they were excellent.
Yeah I guess it must have been. They said the show was great but they were pricks, this was in the late 80's though.
I will never travel brandishing a sharp tongue, out of fear of piercing my own heart...
Quote by YourLastAffront
Yeah I guess it must have been. They said the show was great but they were pricks, this was in the late 80's though.

Ah that explains it. Late 80s

This was at the time when they were trying to mimic the Joy Division on stage persona (Except the songs lacked the bitter edge that Joy Division had). So in all it was quite the futile effort. They are GREAT live now though. They try to get the audience to sing along and keep them entertained between songs. They STILL don't do encores though
Am I the only one who find Closer inferior to UP? 'cause I've been listening to them both a lot recently and I love UP, but Closer wont grow on me.
Last edited by European Son at Jun 15, 2007,
Quote by European Son
Am I the only one who find Closer inferior to UP? 'cause I've been listening to them both a lot recently and I love UP, but Closer wont grow on me.

Closer is a grower album, whereas Unknown Pleasures is pretty direct. Try Closer again, listening to it on headphones in the dark, and you'll get it.
Quote by Goon
Isolation.... I don't know why I just find myself listening to it all the time. alone.

Fun Fact: Courney Love lost her virginity to that song.
My all gold grills give her cold chills
Said she gotta coke feel cuz I'm sooo trill.
Quote by RHCP94
Fun Fact: Courtney Love lost her virginity to that song.

Hmm. That's odd. I lost mine to "A Means to an End" and my friend Stefanie lost hers to "Twenty-Four Hours." Never really tought of Closer in that manner though.
Quote by RHCP94

I'm surprised it was even released then.
Quote by RHCP94

Actually, she lost it to "Temptation" by New Order =]
Joy Division in my opinion is one of the greatest bands of all time. Ian Curtis poured emotion into every song he sung. Plus Peter Hook is an awesome bass player. I'm not really a big fan of New order,though. After their first album they got way too poppy.
Quote by JA91
I'm not really a big fan of New order,though. After their first album they got way too poppy.

I've got to agree with you. I'm not a big fan. I like a few songs but I'd rather JD anyday.
I'm starting to get into New Order alot now. I think it's just that I collected nearly al of the Joy Division material and now I need a band that had a longer lifespan

To anyone wanting to get into New Order from Joy Division, get "Substance" and listen to the first few songs of each disc. Very Joy Division. And get "Movement". It's just as creepy and down putting as "UP"

I only just started getting into them. "Love Will Tear Us Apart" is one of my most listened to songs on my iPod. Were gonna cover it in my band
Quote by laika
I only just started getting into them. "Love Will Tear Us Apart" is one of my most listened to songs on my iPod. Were gonna cover it in my band

Quote by UMadeMeRealise
People should know by now that "Love Will Tear Us Apart" is uncoverable. It's one of those landmarks that's best left alone.

yeah i think the same, but tell that to Fall Out Boy....

Quote by UMadeMeRealise
People should know by now that "Love Will Tear Us Apart" is uncoverable. It's one of those landmarks that's best left alone.

Yeah. It's in the same boat as "Stairway" as far as I'm concerned =]

The worst one I've heard is Fallout Boys closely followed by U2 and Arcade Fires version
Some DJ has taken the vocals from Missy Elliott's "Get Ur Freak On" and pasted it to the music from "Love Will Tear Us Apart." It's called "Love Will Freak Us," and it's surprisingly awesome. Go here to download it.
Quote by UMadeMeRealise
Some DJ has taken the vocals from Missy Elliott's "Get Ur Freak On" and pasted it to the music from "Love Will Tear Us Apart." It's called "Love Will Freak Us," and it's surprisingly awesome. Go here to download it.

Never!
Does anyone know the piano notes for "The Eternal"? I'll trade you thekeyboard part for "Decades" if need

UMadeMeRealise, that IS a good mash up
Quote by Doolittle
yeah i think the same, but tell that to Fall Out Boy....

They didn't actually cover it, right?....

...Right?
Last edited by European Son at Jul 25, 2007,
^i have an ep of theirs where they covered it. i never listened to it though since i got turned off by the video footage of their shows and stuff. ya....

and you guys probably don't believe the last part and will judge me henceforth. maybe i talk too much.
Quote by somewhat_here
^i have an ep of theirs where they covered it. i never listened to it though since i got turned off by the video footage of their shows and stuff. ya....

and you guys probably don't believe the last part and will judge me henceforth. maybe i talk too much.

Eh, don't worry about it. I have From Under The Cork Tree. They have a handful of well put-together pop songs. The main thing I don't like about them is that Pete Wentz wanker. Oh, he annoys me so...
Quote by European Son
Oh my, I downloaded the song.

If you need a song raped, call Fall Out Boy.

Besides that one high school Nirvana cover, i honestly have to say it was one of the worst covers i've ever heard. To me the point of covers was to be true to the song while putting your own spin on it. Oh yes, FOB definitely put their spin on it, but did it distastefully and not true to the song.

Quote by Doolittle
Besides that one high school Nirvana cover, i honestly have to say it was one of the worst covers i've ever heard. To me the point of covers was to be true to the song while putting your own spin on it. Oh yes, FOB definitely put their spin on it, but did it distastefully and not true to the song.

Agreed. They tried to put a guitar-driven pop-punk feel to a dark, synth-driven song and the result came out worse than... Squeeze?
Quote by European Son
Oh my, I downloaded the song.

If you need a song raped, call Fall Out Boy.

I am simply going to have to find space in my sig for that!
Quote by European Son
Agreed. They tried to put a guitar-driven pop-punk feel to a dark, synth-driven song and the result came out worse than... Squeeze?

And there are comments on Youtube saying Fall Out Boy's version is better.

They also tried to do a Gorilla Biscuits cover. That sucked ass too.
Quote by ??a?? ??w
And there are comments on Youtube saying Fall Out Boy's version is better.

Anyone who would say that should be isolated from humans.
What you are about to read is need-to-know, top-secret, under-wraps stuff, but that Fallout Boy cover was developed by the US Government as a superweapon to aid in the War on Terror.

Talking of covers, I really can't decide whether I prefer the original Dead Souls or the NIN adaptation of it. They're both great, but the cover has got way more edge and anger than the original, but the Joy Division version seems, I dunno, 'deeper'.
According to BS statistics, 92% of teens have moved on to rap. If you're among the 8% who doesn't consider rap to be real music, donate your brains, as you clearly aren't using them.