hey guys, i have the basics of sweep picking an i know how to do it, but whenever i do it sounds scratchy and horrible, any tips on strengthening/getting a nicer sound from it?

cheers!
Practice. And make sure you're doing it right, by "rolling" your fingers
Quote by triple_X_maniac
AMERICA FTW!!!

lol jk we suck

<A HREF=

<A HREF=
There is no real way to be better in sweeping You just have to practise untill u do it well !!!practise it all day long
well, sweep-picking is a technique that takes a long time to get down, but once you understand the basics you will be able to progress very quickly...the secret is to perfect your technique, which can be done by practicing your arpeggio shapes at a speed where you can play every note perfectly...this may be 100 bpms, maybe 10...it varies, but if every note isn't coming out clear, go slower...anywho, make sure your wrist it locked and that you are releasing your fingers after picking them...if it sounds scratchy it may be that your are slightly muting the strings...make sure that all of the notes are played at a steady pace with the picking hand because speeding up or slowing down will throw of your balance...you have to obtain perfect synchronization between your picking and fretting hands to achieve a clean and steady sound...attached is an exercise (GP5) to help you with it...there's no specific key or anything, it's just an A major arpeggio moved chromatically up the neck...continue as far up the neck as possible and back down...hope this helps!
Attachments:
Sweep Picking Exercise.zip
Quote by BigFatSandwich
it took you 15 consecutive hours of practice to realize that playing guitar makes you better at playing guitar. congratulations.

Quote by Sharp_as_steel
Axe_grinder pwns!!!!

Member #2 of the "Official UG Teabaggers' Cult". PM Slayer224 to join.