for some reason ive taken a sudden interest in playing the blues guitar. can someone help me out by answer at least one of my questions about the blues. thanks. (and if anyone has any tips for me, that would be appreciated)

1. what kind of guitars do blues players use?

2. what are some scales blues players use and if someone could tell me or direct me to some of the positions of a blues scale, that would be helpful.

3. what are some chords/ chord progressions that blues players use?

4. who are some big blues players? (i know b.b. king but thats about it)

5. what are some techniques that blues players use?

6. any other help you want to give.

thanks a lot!
Last edited by gdm09 at Jun 15, 2006,
1. strats / gibson hollowbodies (bb. king)
2. pentatonic (all five positions) w/ the blue note (diminished 5th / augmented 4th (same thing))
3. 12 bar blues
4. stevie ray vaughan
5. look in any/all lessons on UG for these things
Æ
Quote by gdm09
for some reason ive taken a sudden interest in playing the blues guitar. can someone help me out by answer at least one of my questions about the blues. thanks. (and if anyone has any tips for me, that would be appreciated)

Many. Fender Stratocasters seem to be most popular though.

2. what are some scales blues players use and if someone could tell me or direct me to some of the positions of a blues scale, that would be helpful.

I'm not quite sure how to tab it out, but I use the A blues scale

Many many many.

Clapton, Stevie Ray Vaughan is my favorite guitarist ever, and Hendrix. Angus Young has bluesy solos, also

5. any other help you want to give me will be appreciated.

Use a little gain on distortion, maybe around the 3 or 4 o'clock position.

thanks a lot!

My answers are in bold. Hope i helped!
Quote by triple_X_maniac
AMERICA FTW!!!

lol jk we suck

<A HREF=

<A HREF=
Quote by gdm09
so hollowbodies are used a lot in blues?

thats what b.b. king used, and it has a great blues tone, so i think so
Æ

Very many use Stratocaster's, but also a lot of Les Paul's and ES335's

The blues scale.

The standard 12 bar blues progression (I-V-IV)

Stevie Ray Vaughan, Clapton (in his early days), Robert Cray, Muddy Waters, Gary Moore, Buddy Guy.
Those are just 5 positions of the same scale. Technically, it's a minor scale but it's pretty versatile. You can usually (i do say, usually) get away with using it over a major 12 bar blues progression at first anyway. It's just a matter of figuring out which notes sound better over which chords and that's all subjective anyway.
Quote by gdm09

As said before, Fender Strats, Gibson hollowbodies. Strat players: Buddy Guy, Stevie Ray Vaughan, Eric Clapton, Jimmie Vaughan. Hollowbody players: BB King, Freddie King.

The Blues scale. I think its the most used scale for blues. I believe Buddy Guy ( I THINK it's him) uses the Mixolydian mode as well.

Well, the 12 bar Blues is everywhere in the blues. Four bars of I, two bars of IV, two bars of I, one bar V, one bar IV and two bars of I again. For example, in G, we'll have G for the I, C for the IV and D for the V. The turnaround is VERY important in blues.

Stevie Ray Vaughan, Eric Clapton, Freddie King, Albert King, BB King ( I like to call em the three Kings. lol), Buddy Guy.

Well, blues is all about phrasing. Albert King was known for his bends, because he could go on and on using just two or three notes and altering his bends. The "basic" techniques are used most in blues. Slides, bends, hammerons and pulloffs. Vibrato is REALLY important. A vibrato can either make or break your play. (Not calling vibrato basic, btw).

Have fun.

thanks a lot!

There you go.
The basic Blues progression is I-IV-V. That's about all you need to know for the
majority of blues.

No one seems to have really hit the scale question.

The Blues scale is FAR from the only scale used. In fact, any good blues player
worth a damn will be using some mixture of:

Blues
Pent Minor
Pent Major
Ionian
Dorian
Mixolydian
Chromatic

Generally the predominant flavor will be Blues scale. Also, there's quite a bit of
overlap in that list. But, relative mixtures of all those scales is a big contributing
factor to someone's style.
I was a firm beleiver about strats being the best blues guitars... untill i saw a video of Hendrix playing Red House with a gibson SG (angus young guitar... hard rock...) and it was absolutely godly.

Basically, any guitars can play the blues, has long you beleive in what youre playing and if you like the sound. Except a banjo maybe.

For some, blues is about strats, others gibsons, for me its about my prs.
Last edited by Muaddib at Jun 15, 2006,
For chord progressions, a lot of the time they use dominant chords.
isnt the blues scale just a pentatonic minor scale with two more notes added (on the 5th and 3rd strings)
Quote by gdm09

I like hallow body guitars.... fat guitars...
statocaster, gibson's hallow body guitars are great... etc..

Mostly major\minor pentatonic
its like normal scales... but using only 1st 4th and 5th...
with blue notes

best blues player ever to live, Stevie Ray Vaughn..
(try listening to blues ensembles.... not only soloists)

As least technique as possible

when your improvising blues, try not to throw everything you know at the begginig
i know alot of players who does that.. and they can't keep an impro interesting more then a minute or two
try sticking to a theme... a certain phrase.. and improvise arround it.

thanks a lot!

Answers in bold..
Quote by edg
First you really should learn the difference between a fingering position and a scale.

well....what is the difference?
Quote by gdm09
well....what is the difference?

a scale... is a a few notes.. that sound good on a certain backup...

a position... is playing this scale... on something like 4-5 frets
dont know how to explain it

a scale... is all over the guitar, and position... is stricted to something like 4-5 frets
yet, when you connect all positions.. you get the real scale... which is all over the guitar.

hope that helps, yet i doubt it.
ok ok, i did know what scales and positions were, my bad, i forgot, thanks for reminding me though.
so what are those "positions" names in the blues scale?
if you ask me, i think in the long run you'd do a lot better to not memorize "positions". rather learn the notes of the scale, in say, the A blues key. now find every fret that can be used in that scale (start to think note-wise instead of fret wise, or atleast/and interval wise (ie. im doin my solo, i hit a b5, hammer on to a 5, play the b7 and slide up to the root octave, OR i hit the D#, hammer on to an E, play the G and slide up to the Higher A) think like that instead of, "6h7, 5/7"

this will help you grow as a musician AND a guitarist, rather than just a guitarist. because box positions and frets cant be used outside of guitar.
hollowbodies?? i thought hollowbodies was for jazz.... but it doesnt really matter what kind of guitar you use cuz i saw this guy playing blues and he was using a telecaster but with thikc strings and a ton of reverb so you could try that too
Quote by gdm09

I wouldn't use an Ibanez, Yamaha, or Warlocks. Other than that, it doesn't really matter; Rory Gallagher and Stevie Ray Vaughan used stratocasters, John Lee Hooker and Muddy Waters used telecasters, BB King uses a solidbody, Jimmy Page uses les pauls, Albert King used a flying V, Clapton used an SG in the Cream days and Santana uses PRS guitars. Really, it's up to you, although - as I said at the start - I wouldn't advise using Ibanez's, Yamaha's or Warlocks.

Quote by gdm09

Minor pentatonic, blues hexatonic and natural minors. Or hell, play some major scales; it doesn't matter so much. The solos should fit right and have feeling to them; beyond that there's no set scale you should use for any sort of music really, just so long as it fits.

Quote by gdm09

The 12 bar blues: four bars of chord I, two bars of chord IV and two bars of chord I, then one bar of chord V, one of chord IV and two of chord I. That's most commonly used.
The blues shuffle is used a lot too:

E - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
B - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
G - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
D - - - - - - - - - 2 2 4 4 2 2 4 4 -          
A - 2 2 4 4 2 2 4 4 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 -
E - 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 - - - - - - - - - 

Quote by gdm09

BB King, Albert King, Freddie King, Stevie Ray Vaughan, Rory Gallagher, Cream, John Lee Hooker, Muddy Waters, Snowy White, Robert Johnson, Robert Cray, Buddy Guy, Eric Clapton, Peter Green and Santana. Should keep you busy for a while .

Quote by gdm09

Bends and vibratos are very important in blues music

Quote by gdm09

thanks a lot!

Play from the soul; that's pretty much what blues is all about. Oh, and of course, make sure you have fun.

EDIT: V Fine, a solidbody.
Last edited by SomeEvilDude at Jun 18, 2006,
BB KING USES A SOLIDBODY GUITAR!!! Glad I got that off my chest.

Anywho, yeah. The blues scale seems to be the holy grail of the blues.

1 b3 4 b5 5 b7 8 (if that makes any sense to you)

Dominant chords should be understood too.

1 3 5 b7

This is a common chord in blues progressions of 1 4 5.
Learning how to play blues is smart man, really improves your skill as a guitarist

The answers to your questions have already been answered in this thread, so im not gonna waste my time
I thought B.B. plays a semi-hollow with no f-holes?
UG Blues Mafia
Founding Members: Forklifterer, Steve Cropper, Crzyrckgtrst28, and TNfootballfan62

Member of the Anti-Whammy-Bar-Solo Club
its a 355, they are just like the guy above said. semi hollow no f holes.