I ordered a new set of tubes for my El Diablo from Eurotubes last week. I got them isntalled last night and got the chance to give them a quick test.

Man, I'm impressed. Actually, amazed and surprised is more like it. I'd already tried different tubes in my El Diablo (12AX7HG high gain tubes, 6L6 power tubes) and they sounded great, but I really wasn't prepared for what I got with these JJs.

I spoke with Jay at Eurotubes via email a few times last week discussing the best choice of tubes for an El Diablo, based on the sound I was aiming for. In the end, I chose 2 premium, gold plated high gain ECC83S (12AX7) for the tone stack, and a balanced ECC83S for the phase inverter. I was unsure on what to get for the power amp, but after discussion with Jay, I ended up going with JJ E34L power tubes instead of EL34s or 6L6.

Well, I can now get massive chunk out of this amp at low volumes, without the need for my Hotplate. I also have an 808-modded Ibanez TS-5 that I got from Monty Jay a couple of weeks ago, and it was cool for giving the amp an extra boost to play at low volumes without the Hotplate. I really liked what that sounded like, and I was considering getting rid of the Hotplate because of that.

Now with these new tubes, I need nothing but the amp itself. It's really quite amazing the difference these tubes made. I'm really, really impressed. My 'sweet spot' for the best distortion tone used to be with both the preamp and master volumes at 7. This was absolutely deafening, which is why I used the Hotplate.

Now with these tubes, I have the preamp volume on about 4, and the master at about 2, and I'm getting awesome distortion. And the louder it goes (master volume), the better it sounds. I need nothing but the amp now. The Tube Screamer does still give the sound a nice extra bite though. I won't be using it full time for my tone, but I will definately still use it. I'm hoping to have some time to play and record some clips this weekend.

On a side note, I now have an 8 ohm THD Hotplate if anyone is interested. PM me for the information.
Guitars: Custom Lado Earth 2000-3, Custom ESP Explorer, BC Rich KKV, Gibson LP Studio, Greco SG, El Degas Stratocaster, Agile AL-3000, LTD EX-351

Rig:Marshall JVM410H + Marshall 1960A, Boss Noise Suppressor
Sounds great, personally, I prefer the 6L6s over the EL34s. Good for you tho.
Quote by GiantRaven
I'm sure theres a Nigerian king just waiting for you to reply to his email
Amazing, cg man. Any chance on some soundclips anytime soon
All Hail! The Kala-Kala Chieftain!
Quote by Chimaira
Sounds great, personally, I prefer the 6L6s over the EL34s. Good for you tho.

Jay at Eurotubes suggested, based on what I expressed I wanted for a sound, that I try their E34L instead of EL34. He said that most people seem to prefer them in EL34 applications as they have more headroom, less breakup, and a much tighter low end - exactly the characteristics that normally attract me to 6L6.

I usually prefer 6L6 too. I had a pair of 6L6 tubes in it before I swapped to JJs yesterday. I'm loving this new sound though, and the cleans are incredibly clear and articulate. 6L6 kind of wreck the beautiful cleans on this amp with stock preamp tubes. The E34L makes the cleans sound even better than the EL34s. I will eventually swap the E34L for the 6L6 to see how they sound with the new preamp tubes though. I have to say that I'm surious.

Quote by CodySG
Amazing, cg man. Any chance on some soundclips anytime soon

I hope to be able to record somethign this weekend.
Guitars: Custom Lado Earth 2000-3, Custom ESP Explorer, BC Rich KKV, Gibson LP Studio, Greco SG, El Degas Stratocaster, Agile AL-3000, LTD EX-351

Congrats on the new valves! That much of a sound difference hey?

One of my EL84 power amp valves has a little burn mark on it, think I might be in need of a re-valve sometime soon?
"Breathe, breathe in the air
Don't be afraid to care"

Fender Strat/Tokai LS80>few pedals>Orange Rocker 30
you like 'em, then?

good job, crunch, glad you're happy.

I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
i'm actually planning on retube all my amps soon

it's gonna cost me around $150...
Quote by R_H_C_P
Congrats on the new valves! That much of a sound difference hey?

One of my EL84 power amp valves has a little burn mark on it, think I might be in need of a re-valve sometime soon?

Sounds like you're possibly biased too hot...that's not normal.
What part of it is discoloured?
I'm not very active here on UG currently.
I'm a retired Supermod off to the greener pastures of the real world.
Quote by That_Pink_Queen
Sounds like you're possibly biased too hot...that's not normal.
What part of it is discoloured?

It's a cathode biased amp (doesn't need to be biased when new valves are put in...)
Here's a pic of the burnt-ness.

It's just around the writing bit on that valve, I noticed it a few days ago.
Cheers if you can help.
"Breathe, breathe in the air
Don't be afraid to care"

Fender Strat/Tokai LS80>few pedals>Orange Rocker 30
Dudes. I was goign to try to post a clip of the amp with the new tubes this weekend, but I forgot that I'm leaving for the weekend tonight and won't be back till late Sunday night. I'll try to post a clip early next week.

The tubes were $56 US plus shipping.

im plannin on throwin JJs in my Classic 30, ive heard real good things bout the Groove Tubes...gonna have to get me some, cant wait for those clips...u left us with anxiety
Pm ibanez for life SZ! and tell him your recording ur el diable, he'll put ur soudnblcips in teh sounclips forum for everyone to hear. Congrats or ur tubes and ur amp (its a beaty)