Just to mess with a buddy who is one of the devoted Gibson LP followers (not that they arent great), I told him my new Hellraiser was probably just as good if not better in terms of qualilty. It was great, he nearly passed out from rage/frustration. But that got me thinking (since Im still new and dont know anything), how far behind is the Hellraiser in quality?
they're totally different guitars designwise i dont see how you can compare them :S
Tunes, gear and other random stuff can be found in my "UG" profile if you click my name
This depends. If your talking pre 99 gibsons lifetimes. If your talking modern gibsons not far at all.

edit: Also i hate the pickups in the hell raisers. Get a c-1 black jack or classic instead.
Quote by Andrew Zara
Gibson and Schecter are non-comparable guitars, but if you said Gibson and Fender those are comparable.

How is that? They are totally different types of instruments. Most Fender solid bodies are light, single coil equipped guitars. Different scale lenghts and Gibson solid bodies are either radically designed or heavy, darker sounding guitars with humbuckers (usually)
In quality per dollar ratio, Schecter beats post '99 Gibsons easily, but thats not to say Gibsons arent good. Hellraisers are one of the most expensive Schecters, other than the aniversery ones. Its like what AlGee says, most people don't know the quality of the materials and the work that goes into gibsons, they use top quality wood and hardware. Schecters on the other hand, are korean made, but excellent fot the price you pay, but you cant really compare a 1000 dollar guitar to one that costs 3000, most becuase its due to personl preferance. Unless he bought a cheap one at the 1200 and below range, those arent that great.
Quote by rocknrollstar
"Oh baby baby yes yes YES! YES! *pinch harmonic*"
i dont have a gibson, and I've only played a few in guitar shops, but what I can tell you is that Schecter has some QUALITY work in their instruments, my buddy has a C-1 Classic and it is pure perfection, I have the Hellraiser FR and tthats all I can say about mine too....perfection

I know schecter isn't as big of a brand as gibson or fender, but they have to be gaining some ground because their quality to price ratio is WAAay ahead of those guys.
I have a Gibson and my band mate has a Schecter C1+. He hates his Schecter and so do I the actions way too high and it just feels crappy compared to my Gibson. He's getting an ESP once he's sold it.
Lower your friends action Tubey, duh

On topic,

Threadstarter, would you feel different if the Gibson had EMG's, because pickups can make a whole lotta difference.
Quote by rocknrollstar
Quote by ProjectDark

On topic,

Threadstarter, would you feel different if the Gibson had EMG's, because pickups can make a whole lotta difference.

No idea, Im new and dont know enough to have a credible opinion. Being new I hear a ton of "Gibson/LesPaul" and didnt know how much of the hype is true, they are almost put forth as the holy grail......but then again, a lot of those people probably dont know much more than me, and often times hadnt even heard of Schecter. Im just trying to learn a little and increase my ability to mess with friends
haha i know someone who bought a hellraiser, then returned it and bought a LP
www.myspace.com/hijackedtheband
Quote by ProjectDark

On topic,

It's as low as it'll go. There is something wrong with the guitar which adds to it being crappy. Any note played above the 5th fret (4,3,2,1) is out of tune. Silly fool wont get it fixed though. Even with this problem it just doesn't feel all that great compared to a Gibbo
I love Les Pauls, the look, the shape, the feel.

Sadly, Schecters with a pickupchange are every bit as good, for a third of the price
Quote by Tubey
It's as low as it'll go. There is something wrong with the guitar which adds to it being crappy. Any note played above the 5th fret (4,3,2,1) is out of tune. Silly fool wont get it fixed though. Even with this problem it just doesn't feel all that great compared to a Gibbo

Go get it looked at by a pro, have him/her set it up for your friend.

And what do you expect from the quality of a guitar half, even a third, of the price?
Quote by rocknrollstar
Quote by CustomCustom
hellraiser was alot lighter than a real LP as are most asian mahogany guitars

Anceint Chinese Secret.......

But seriously whats up with that? Maybe its a different kina mahogany?
Quote by rocknrollstar
Quote by ProjectDark
Anceint Chinese Secret.......

But seriously whats up with that? Maybe its a different kina mahogany?

Yup. Cheaper too. As far as mahogany goes, African is heaviest, then South american, then asian. Heavier = better tone.
As it's been said they're not really even comparable. Different scales, different frets, different pickups, ones 24 the others 22... it's like trying to compare the Strat vs. Les Paul.

I had a Les Paul Standard Prem Plus. It was heavy and bulky, had horrible upper fret access, played good though, low action, good feel. But generally speaking it wasn't for me, I'm a lead player and I need that upper fret access and those jumbo frets, they're not bad guitars, but they're not for everyone.
clips
Gear
  • Framus Cobra Head
  • Peavey 5150 Head
  • Marshall MF280 4x12 Cab
  • PRS Custom 24 w/ 3-Way/Coil Tap
  • Ibanez RGT220A w/ EMG 85 Neck/81 Bridge
  • Rack w/ BBE 482i, Hush Super C, and Furman
Quote by SynGates7X
the hellraiser is ahead of the LP

wow, im so suprised an a7x fan would say this, lol, but most LPs are above the hellraiser in quality, higher end schecters are very nice though, and most mahogany is either african, honduran, or i guess there is an asian mahogany though ive never heard of it or seen it on any guitar wood sites