Hey dudes,
Couple of questions regarding valves.

Im looking to change the valves in my laney lc30 mk.1 as its quite old (bout 5 or more years, although ive only had it a few months).
The valves currently in it have 'Sovtek EL84 6BQ5' marked on em. So am i right in thinking if i go and buy a matched quad of sovtek EL84 6BQ5 the amp wont need biasing??? im new to all this :S

Another thing thats confusing me now too, reading on this website , it says that the LC30 is cathode biased and cannot be bias adjusted?? Could anyone explain what this means?

Anyway thanks in advance.
[Ibanez SZ320MH
BOSS SD-1, BOSS CE-5, BOSS CS-3, Crybaby Wah
Laney LC30

Quote by WantToLearn
i was biking with my guitar and it fell in a puddle of mud, i was like OH MAN and i whent home immediately and put it in a bucket of water
I think that means that you can just put new valves in and not have to bias the amp.

You don't have to buy Sovtek valves though, you can buy any brand of valves, as long as they're the same model, some brands sound different and so on...
"Breathe, breathe in the air
Don't be afraid to care"

Fender Strat/Tokai LS80>few pedals>Orange Rocker 30
Thanks for the prompt reply.

So with cathode bias you can just put any type of power amp valve in and the amp regulates the bias itself?? Is that somthing to do with it being 'Class A' ??
[Ibanez SZ320MH
Laney LC30

Quote by WantToLearn
i was biking with my guitar and it fell in a puddle of mud, i was like OH MAN and i whent home immediately and put it in a bucket of water
If you buy the same brand and kind of valves it won't need biasing. But it can help as tubes vary even if they are identical. I'm guessing that your amp is fixed biased like my valveking. I'm not quite sure what that means but I'm pretty sure it means that if you change the tubes you don't have to bias. Not sure about that though, and if anyone could explain it they'd be helping me as well.
Quote by GiantRaven
I'm sure theres a Nigerian king just waiting for you to reply to his email
Yup, it's already biased, but not any type of valve, it needs to be an EL84 6BQ5. Or just an EL84, I'm not sure about all this.

I don't think it being class A is anything to do with the cathode bias, my Blues Jr doesn't need to be biased, and it's class A/B.. I think, or B, I don't really care.
"Breathe, breathe in the air
Don't be afraid to care"

Fender Strat/Tokai LS80>few pedals>Orange Rocker 30
Ok thanks, anyone suggest a good all round rock EL84 available in the UK? reasonably high gain one i guess.

Cheers
[Ibanez SZ320MH
Laney LC30

Quote by WantToLearn
not really answering your question here, just to say that i have a LC30 mk1 one as well and it rocks

check out www.watfordvalves.com for your valve needs. fantastic UK based company. harma valves have a great reputation and i think they make el84s, they'll be on the watford valves site
"Anytime but now
Anywhere but here
Anyone but me
I've got to think about my own life
The world is not our facility
We have a responsibility
To use our abilities to keep this place alive," said ian mackaye
thanks for the reccomendation dude, yeah the amp rocks indeedy. Just checking that site out now.
[Ibanez SZ320MH
Laney LC30

Quote by WantToLearn