This is kind of a weird quesiton but when you play guitar for awhile, do you stand or sit? My back hurts if i sit to long and play and i dont like standing and playing for to long either.
I've been playing for almost 2 years, I play a lot, and I always play sitting down. It's kind of a bad habit, cuz then when I play standing up, it feels weird and I can't play quite as good unless I shorten the strap.
WHOALASKA!! WHOALASKAAAA!!!
i always start atanding and then if my back starts to hurt, i sit down for a bit then i stand again. always learn a song standing, or else you'll just have to "re-learn" it for when you start to stand. if you start standing, then you won't have to do as much"converting" to play sitting down
Quote by bi-ah!
this is UG
of course they're going to say
0H it'5 @ jAcK50l\l!??!?!
iT i5 TeH p\/\/naG3!!!

but yeah its fine
i find it so much easier to play sitting down, but it's always a good idea to stand up.

let's face it, you can't turn up at a gig and expect to be given a chair.
Quote by joshjhasarrived
I've been playing for almost 2 years, I play a lot, and I always play sitting down. It's kind of a bad habit, cuz then when I play standing up, it feels weird and I can't play quite as good unless I shorten the strap.

hmmm seems logical that you would just raise your strap then. And dont just not do it because it wont look cool, in my opinion the coolest guitarist have the highest straps.
Well, if you're just playing as a hobby or something, then sitting's a good idea.

But in a band, unless you're primarily acoustic, you're going to be standing up onstage.

Personally, I try to balance the two out.
^ even if you're playing acoustic if you're on stage you will most likely be standing up, unless you're all doing an acoustic set maybe.

When i started i only sat down, and when i came to play standing up, my skills were as good.. it's funny. so now i mainly stand but sit if i can't be arsed. I play in a band now so the way i look at it there is no point in learning to play sitting down if you wanna be in a band. As Bob Marley said.. Get Up, Stand Up
just do what feels right. many musicians play standing and few play sitting. guitarist from king crimson sits while he plays. hes a mean guitar player. standing is for show and fun. i tend to sit while i just screw around with my bass and stand when actually playing with people.
I stand up If I feel like having a good session.

But If I feel like playing one song without my amp and stuff, I just sit down on my bed.
Usually sit down when I'm practicing, then stand up, then sit back down. I do find it easier to play sitting down but I think thats because I'm only a begginer and it easier to see what your hands are doing when your sitting
Member of The Darkness fanclub
I was there for SD's cocksucking forum, August 15th, 2006.
The Cas Fast Foundation - pm draken to join and support cas on his 30 food free days.
Quote by radiodeadhead5
This is kind of a weird quesiton but when you play guitar for awhile, do you stand or sit? My back hurts if i sit to long and play and i dont like standing and playing for to long either.

if it hurts to sit down and play, you're most likely hunching over the guitar.

sit up straight the whole time and you'll eliminate that
yeah but for a beginner it's hard not to hunch over as you dont know where your fingers should be. I suggest sitting on a higher seat (beds are not good). a proper guitar stool is best. One leg should be slightly raised...
mostly when i play at home... its sitting down.
but you can't sit down when your performing (most of the time)
so you need to play just as good standing... so sometimes i play standing.. just to see that its not a problam.
shortening you strap makes you look gay...
the closest your guitar is to your balls.. the cooler you look.
Quote by Drone_

shortening you strap makes you look gay...

Is there something wrong with being gay?

Wear your strap at the height you feel comfortable playing at. how you look is not what it's about. For real musicians anyway.
Quote by Applehead
Is there something wrong with being gay?

Wear your strap at the height you feel comfortable playing at. how you look is not what it's about. For real musicians anyway.

c'mon... you know what i ment
i have no problam with gay people, i even have a couple of gay friends

and i think that an important part of your show.. is how you look.
as you shouldnt perform on stage with your pigama's... (unless its your theme.. :P)
performing with your guitar in your chin.... doesnt look good.
try getting used to it, a little lower... and it shouldnt be such a problam.
^ Sorry, but you could've used the word "stupid".

But anyway, i agree that it is part of the show, but to wear it low just to look good when it can affect your playing is just silly. I know music fashion dictates it should be worn low, but i've never been one to follow fashion. And an aching wrist is more annoying than someone thinking you look "gay".

Play around with your strap height until it feels right, and then leave it at that!
Quote by Applehead
^ Sorry, but you could've used the word "stupid".

But anyway, i agree that it is part of the show, but to wear it low just to look good when it can affect your playing is just silly. I know music fashion dictates it should be worn low, but i've never been one to follow fashion. And an aching wrist is more annoying than someone thinking you look "gay".

Play around with your strap height until it feels right, and then leave it at that!

yea, should have used a different word
and ok, i agree wearing the guitar like James Heterfield... is not smart, becouse your wrist will seriously be hurt...
and i allso agree with "pose is ok, until it effects your playing.."
but i think that somewhere in the middle would be good.
where it doesnt really effect your playing, yet you still dont looke like one of those
new british punk bands...
We often take the piss out of franz ferdinand in practive, all holding our guitars and basses up really high, elbows out! so funny!

and yet, the Beatles pulled more than anyone !
its much easy for me to play guitar while sitting..its much relaxing than standing up with a strap it makes my shoulder hurts..
Last edited by dark007 at Jun 16, 2006,
I play sitting down a lot at home, but I try to practice standing up to. I also play standing at band practice so I do probably 70% sitting, 30% standing.
Quote by Baarmy_Sheep
i find it so much easier to play sitting down, but it's always a good idea to stand up.

let's face it, you can't turn up at a gig and expect to be given a chair.

Untrue. One of my favorite bands plays many shows where each member sits down. It's not jazz or classical either, it's real original rock and roll and it's good stuff.

And to those that say that a high strap makes you look 'gay' - you're the idiot. I hate the obsession with image when it comes to music. Lets actually care about MUSIC, since we are (supposedly) musicians, ok?
I've found it easier to play rhythm while sitting and lead while standing. That might be wierd... But that's just me. I usually move around a lot, anyways, but everynow and then I'll sit down and play a little song.
Quote by Geekis_Khan
I've found it easier to play rhythm while sitting and lead while standing. That might be wierd... But that's just me. I usually move around a lot, anyways, but everynow and then I'll sit down and play a little song.

It's a lot easier to have stage presence when you're soloing standing up too
or you could liek... hang your guitar reallly low like zakk wylde and play pinch harmonics all the time.

^^total sarcasm (respect for zakk wylde)

definitely learn how to play standing up, there's some muscle in your shoulder that needs to develop gradually before ou play standing up for say.... 4 hours, because (according to my experience) otherwise you will be hurting and sore.

I am only nothing, I am only this
I am just a man with these two fists
standing
Call me Sean
Quote by Nilpferdkoenig
He's just trying to protect our innocence.

Yes i am
Quote by :Vicious--

Your flirting powers are incredible.

Gear:
Schecter S1 Elite Black Cherry (Soapbar Neck, Invader Bridge)
Schecter Banshee
Orange Dual Terror
Boss CE-5
Goatkeeper
i practice (like exercises and such) sitting down, but when it comes to goin nuts and gettin down on the guitar i'm totally standing, i find its easier to train your muscles to play proplerly whe your sitting down and once they're trained you can get accustomed to doing the exercises standing...... thats just me though. although, i do record sitting mostly so that i can be as accurate as possible as often as possible (and therefore requiring fewer takes)
I always play sitting because my crap guitar doesn't have a strap. Whenver I use my friend's electric, though, I can stand up and play just fine.
I cant solo while standing.. well.. at least, I accudently mute alot of notes, I wear mine semi high, which automatically fixed 80% of the muting.

Mind you, im mostly a rhythm player, which im good at standing.
I just sit with my guitar exactly the same as when I'm standing that way it always feels the same.
I tend to not even put straps on my guitars except when I am playing a gig. Whenever i'm just jamming I almost always sit down. Play a few gigs a week, i practice for maybe 20 minutes before the gig standing up just to get the feel.