Page 1 of 3
someone started a thread about guitar teachers, and the way it turned out I apparantly seem to be the only guitar teacher.

But then again it could be the wrong thread(everyone knows that threads there can be three pages further within mere minutes) so I'll ask here am I the only guitar teacher here or are there more?

(you don't have to be qualified, long as you do it as a job)
Wise Man Says: The guitar is obviously female, she's got hips, breasts... and a hole.
UG's Flamenco Club
i don't do it as a job, but i have taught several friends and am looking forward to teaching a friend of mines daughter how to play... does that count?
I think you can count it as a job if you have your friends come over at a planned time, I mean like every thursday on 5 pm(in my case for example)

edit: there are volunteer jobs as well so of course you don't have to get paid
Wise Man Says: The guitar is obviously female, she's got hips, breasts... and a hole.
UG's Flamenco Club
I teach a couple of mates, mates of mates... their mates and so forth. Not for money though... usually just organised jams where we'll improvise... I'll direct them if they get stuck and so forth.

Wouldn't say guitar teacher... just a kind of guide to help them along.
ok, it was always semiplanned whereas i knew i'd give'em lessons twice a week whenever i dropped by (which was usually 3 or 4 times a week, out of those times we'd go over guitar 2 times for several hours on end at great length) and my friend is looking to have me come over once a week for lessons for her daughter (long story but the daughter spends time w/ mom and dad and they're divorced so its always different days that shes there) but yeah, they understood when i taught'em so i figure thats the most important part of being a teacher is to actually impart the knowledge to a degree that they can grasp it.
no i paint, but honestly who hasn't shown someone how to play guitar? haha
FIJI
just showing someone a few licks and some new chords and some tips on technique doesn't mean you're a guitar teacher, everyone does that. You have to teach more than just one aspect of music too imo. I do reading musical notation, usually out of a method book, technique, learning songs, scale/chord theory, etc

it's damn good money though, so if you're qualified to do it, then by all means just advertise yourself at local music shops and you'll get people calling, but really think it through before you commit. Some people can play really well, but are horrible teachers. Really think about whether you can explain things and communicate ideas well.

what do most people charge here at UG?

I do $30 an hour and most people take a half hour, but that's a pretty standard rate where I live.
I don't charge that much, since I'm not qualified to teach.
I started when my guitar teacher(he is qualified) said he didn't know what else to teach me anymore, since we went over every technique and style( he claimed I was better than him and to this day I still don't believe that).
He said that they company he worked with didn't want to stay in my hometown.
And so I decided to start teaching the people myself.
Been doing that for a couple of years now, it's fun and it pays good enough.
UG's Flamenco Club
i'm w/ you on that one scheck, you can't just be a metal or country teacher, you gotta be able to teach whoever wants to learn whatever they want to learn. and yeah a few licks or whatever doesn't constitute a teacher in imo, you gotta be able to explain what works and why it works. as for F2Ash, i don't charge anything and i love it so be glad you're making whatever you make to do it cuz if someone said they'd give me $$$ to do it,i'd be in heaven!
I can't believe your teacher ran out of things to teach! That's strange if you ask me.

I kinda plan on teaching when I retire from my current job as a sort of semi-
retirement thing. I'd like to find a "test student" first to see how I'd like it.
I'd do that for nothing for a while. I doubt I could ever make nearly as much as
my current job. But I'd be mostly doing it for enjoyment and a bit extra income.

I have very definite ideas about how to teach -- basically based on Guitar Principles.
I've been playing over 30 years now, so I think I'm qualified enough. If I really
thought I could get across the Guitar Principles stuff well to students who really
want to learn,

I'd probably charge much more than $30 hr. Probably more like
$50. My current salary is still a lot more than that and I'd rather have a few
really comitted students than a lot of deadbeats. As time goes on, you
realize your time is very important to you. Even though I need to enjoy teaching,
it has to be worth my time to do so as there's lots of other stuff I could be enjoying.

Anyway that's just my plan for now. It may never materialize, but I'll see...
^ yeh, commited students are great.

I teach, currently 3 pupils a week, but i've had perhaps a half dozen more...

I charge ten pounds an hour, but im not qualified or anything, and frankly, i dont need the money that bad. I'm doing the RGT diploma right now though, which is huge, and once i have that i plan on raising my rates a little and looking for more pupils.
I just started taking with a new teacher today. I feel like I suck so much

but that's definitely a good thing
It is, but...

no offense but why do you teach when you feel you suck?
I don't allow myself to think I'm good cause I feel that's good and it'll help ou get better wich, in my experience actually works. But I do know that I'm by far the best guitarist within a fourty miles
UG's Flamenco Club
well compared to someone that teaches jazz at the best music school in the state I suck...

but it helps me improve the most when I don't think I'm good enough.
Last edited by scheck006 at Jun 16, 2006,
Lol, always compare yourself with the best, eh scheck I do that too and it gives me the extra desire to practice hard and be able to outplay them musically
The "Popped Collar" Award(Sexiest)
Elvenkindje

The "Rest In Real Life" Award(Best Past MT Mod)
Elvenkindje
i don't have many students but i teach
2010 Gibson SG Honeyburst
I'm a musician, a composer, and a theory nut. Pleased to meet you! Check out my websites and drop me a line.

"The essence of all beautiful art, all great art, is gratitude. " ~ Freidrich Nietzche

My Website
If your teacher ran out of things to teach you then he isnt very good.

There is a massive amount of theory to be learnt, not to mention sight reading etc.
Tears in waves, minds on fire
Nights alone by your side
Quote by fronkpies
If your teacher ran out of things to teach you then he isnt very good.

There is a massive amount of theory to be learnt, not to mention sight reading etc.

well I did forget to mention that I've been his student for over 6 years
and next to that I know my theory, sight reading is a new term for me but I'm not english so it's probably my english that lacks
UG's Flamenco Club
Last edited by FretboardToAsh at Jun 16, 2006,
Quote by scheck006
well compared to someone that teaches jazz at the best music school in the state I suck...

but it helps me improve the most when I don't think I'm good enough.

That's how my current bass teacher made me feel when I started taking lessons with him. I'm a much better bassist now.

I would love to be a teacher someday. I still have way too much to learn though.
Quote by elvenkindje
Lol, always compare yourself with the best, eh scheck I do that too and it gives me the extra desire to practice hard and be able to outplay them musically

exactly.. i know what you mean.
420allday
and yeah..same here..i would love to be a teacher..but i still have ALOT to learn...
420allday
Quote by Scourge441
That's how my current bass teacher made me feel when I started taking lessons with him. I'm a much better bassist now.

I would love to be a teacher someday. I still have way too much to learn though.

yea man, when you play with people who are better than you, they bring you up to their level.

It's so cool because there's that adjustment period when you're just getting to know the teacher. Once you get up to that next level of playing, you and the teacher can really connect on a musical level and that's where the real musicianship is learned.
Not when your teaching 9 year olds with adhd, they get angry and sad when they can't play something. still, they don't understand that if they don't practice they won't be able to do it the next lesson.
UG's Flamenco Club
well when they're nine years old, 99% of them aren't actually going to be serious about music, it's just a fun activity that their parents got them out of the house with. So in that case it's really just...have as much fun as possible and learn to play a few songs/chords.

I've got a little 4th grade girl that sings and writes her own lyrics. All of this, she does using the chords we learn in the method book (which is only G, G7 and C right now). it is beyond adorable.
Aww, how cute Can you keep her?
The "Popped Collar" Award(Sexiest)
Elvenkindje

The "Rest In Real Life" Award(Best Past MT Mod)
Elvenkindje
whaha damn I wish I had that kind of children around.
I'm usually pretty capable of making the lessons fun but it's very hard to make everything on your own. oh well, you guys already knew that I guess.

btw, did any of you guys had lessons before teaching or something?
UG's Flamenco Club
Last edited by FretboardToAsh at Jun 17, 2006,
God even with my skills I tried to teach my friend how to play a power chord :P
<< ESP LTD Deluxe H-1000 w/EMGs
<< Ibanez RG220b
<< BOSS ME-50 & DS-1
<< Crate MX65R 60 WATTS
<< Ibanez IBZ10G 10 WATTS
<< Dunlop Tortex 88mm
<< KOSS PRO3AA Headphones
I'd love to teach, does anyone do it full time/as their only income, because I can't imaging that you could do very much in the daytime when everyones at work or school?

And also, where do you teach? In your home or in theirs?
^ Usually you set up some space in your place, or at a workplace somewhere (music shop, a center for teachers, places like that). It would be kind of silly to go to their house, IMO... besides, it's easier to set up benches/stands, crap like that, in your own studio.

As far as daytime lessons, they happen... and when you're not teaching you should be practicing or learning anyway.
Quote by les_kris
Corwinoid is God
I'm not even God-like... I've officially usurped the Almighty's throne.
Click here to worship me.

Member #3 of the Corwinoid Fan Club
I teach at home, I'm too bussy to go to everyone's place. so does my mom(qualified),
I guess it runs in the family:P
UG's Flamenco Club
My parents both teach instruments privately. Some people want me to drive out to their house to do the lessons, but if I drive, that kills a half an hour time slot on either side of the lesson - even if I'm only driving for 10 minutes per say. So then I'd lose 2 time slots AND gas money. It's just totally not worth it.
Alright then, what are you guys teaching methods? Do you just say 'what do you wanna learn', or make them stuff that would do them good?
Quote by CheckOutSerafin
Alright then, what are you guys teaching methods? Do you just say 'what do you wanna learn', or make them stuff that would do them good?
I start all of my students in William Leavitt's A Modern Method for Guitar and some basic chords. Once they've had some exposure to reading standard notation, we move on to some songs they're excited about. This invariably leads them to want to learn about scales and modes, and we roll on from there.
All things are difficult before they are easy.
- Dr. Thomas Fuller (British physician, 1654-1734)
Quote by Freepower
For everything you need to know - gpb0216.
I used to teach three kids, but they stopped because of too much sports. I might have four new kids starting this summer, and those other two might be starting again. Currently, i teach 1 kid.
Quote by krymson
I hope that we could get some real metal out there. I guess A7X a start...
But nu metal does have its moments like Slipknot Mushroomhead and Korn.

Quote by VR2005
...Scales are basically the most useless thing in jazz...

I put my older students through that book /\

all the younger ones I get em the mel bay method. It's just more kid friendly.

but we do more than just the book, I tell em to bring in songs they want to learn and we do that. I always try to add theory based off of the song/etude in the book that we're doing. It's a lot more memorable than just giving them a sheet of chord formulas and stuff.

and of course a technique cretique (I'm bustin' rhymes now) is always something you can do while playing a song or something out of the book. It's surprising how people don't play in position no matter how many times you tell them 2nd fret is 2nd finger.
I wanted to start teaching a few kids this summer. Probably charge about 15 bucks an hour since im not really certified or anything :/ I believe I am advanced enough to start teaching though
I teach. I only have one student, but I still teach. I like using Hal Lenord books (mostly because that's what my teacher used). If ever I get more advanced students, I'll just teach them what I know, no books. I think I'm advanced enough in my theory to handle it.
Ohhh...My head hurts...

Quote by Inahrima
^ have i told you i keep misreading your title as UG's biggest bad greek?
Last edited by beatles_rock09 at Jun 17, 2006,
Quote by CheckOutSerafin

I use a method, start up with the easy stuff and follow it up with the chords. Then I'll go on with tablature, and teach techniques as hammer on, pull off and sweeps the things that aren't in the book(I only use one book that can be used for only the very basics).

First write down a few exercises, then when they mastered those far enough pick a song for it (green tinted sixties mind for hammer and pull off for example).

I also teach them the minor scale first since in my opinion its the easiest and relates to most of the music they're listening.
Let them come up with songs they like and I'll see wath technique they learn from it, therefore I don't really have an order for the way I teach them the techniques

I have 3 students at the moment, used to have more but you know, one kid is gonna move away cause his father got a job somewhere else, the other hurt there wrist severly twice (this one didn't do **** anyway) etc..
UG's Flamenco Club
Last edited by FretboardToAsh at Jun 18, 2006,
i also teach them different ways of playing techniques as tapping an hammers, like crossarmed and with you hand on top of the neck and stuff like that, it helps the lessons stay fun.

Ps: If you do this be sure you warn that they're not gonna pull up there shoulder cause a lot tend to do that.
UG's Flamenco Club
Page 1 of 3