Whats the difference between, say, an average Marshall stack and an average Mesa stack? i always hear people say like " oh this cabinet is way more bassy" or "this one has more high end". but doesn't the head determine bass/treble?? also if i were to take one cab with say 4 vintage 30's and another cab with vintage 30's, using the same head on the same settings, would i hear a difference in sound???
MY GEAR :
2000 Jackson SL-3 Soloist
Roland Cube 60
Boss Metal Zone
Dunlop 535q Wah
Shitty DS-1 (AKA Teh Pap3rWeIgHt)

Quote by Nole07
i have like 30 bucks to spend. and i wanna know from first hand experience does it make pp's huge? thanks
My guess is the amount of speakers, and the different speakers, but I'm thinking exactly the same as you, I don't really have a clue.
"Breathe, breathe in the air
Don't be afraid to care"

Fender Strat/Tokai LS80>few pedals>Orange Rocker 30
usually the difference is speakers and Cabinet wood

Like mesa Cabs are made of very dense dark wood so it has a very bassy tone to it.

While Marshall cabinets the wood is not so dense very open so it has more midrange to it.

The sound of a Cab is all based off of Wood and Speakers. And whether it is a 2x2 an angle or straight cab
Member of UG's Gain \/\/hores - pm gpderek09 to join
Its all about acoustics, because remember what your hearing is just vibrations of air, so first off the enclosure (the speaker cabinet) makes a huge difference depending on what its made out of, if its tilted, abs plastic corners, its construction ect..... second is the actual speakers, size, materials, types of magnets, coil lengths all affect how it will sound, also is the crossover how well is it made, what grade of resisters have being used....ect. Plus the actual room your in will make a big difference with the sound you'll get out of your speaker cabinet, the room may have horribly bright reverb or a flutter, or may be more mellow sounding, may sound dry if there is a lot of furniture ect... EVERYTHING changes how the soundwaves travel from your Bass speaker too your ears.
Quote by old_toad
Bass speaker too your ears.

im talkin about guitar cabs but i guess they are the same. and im saying 2 cabs, same amount of speakers (lets say 4x12) and they are all the same ( vintage 30's)

would you hear a noticable difference??
MY GEAR :
2000 Jackson SL-3 Soloist
Roland Cube 60
Boss Metal Zone
Dunlop 535q Wah
Shitty DS-1 (AKA Teh Pap3rWeIgHt)

Quote by Nole07
i have like 30 bucks to spend. and i wanna know from first hand experience does it make pp's huge? thanks
Dimensions are a huge aspect of the sound of a cabinet. Remember air is pushed behind the speaker, not just in front. The space in which that contained air moves around also affects greatly on how it moves air in front of the speaker.
Ibanez -> Peavey -> Eardrums

Apparently I'm on some list of people to listen to..?
Air flow HUGELY affects how your speakers sound. Try the same amp on a open back, then try it on a close back, you'll hear the difference. The open back should have a stronger bass response (correct me if I'm wrong).

After that, slants, cabinet construction (wood, dimensions, etc) will all affect the sound too.
I believe the closed back will have the better bass response. The closed backs are also more "directional"

Open backs tend to be louder and dispersed, however less bass response.
Quote by Syn Harvest
The sound of a Cab is all based off of Wood and Speakers. And whether it is a 2x2 an angle or straight cab

Eh. . .

I would say, in order from most influence to least. . . speakers, dimensions, type of cab (open/closed back), and then maybe wood. Wood really doesn't affect it THAT much, IMO.

And a closed back would give a tighter bass response - whether you like that and think it's strong or not is up to you.
Nah, open closed back is VERY important

Open closed back-speakers-dimensions-wood
I'm not very active here on UG currently.
I'm a retired Supermod off to the greener pastures of the real world.
As most people here have already said, wood and construction of the cabinet affects the sound greatly....unless you're tone deaf or play with a VERY generic tasteless tone all the time.

The difference with straight and angled is that the angled will project the sound more upwards. Depending on the venue or whatever, this will produce better sound projection for people to hear etc.
Basically yes, depending on which two cabs you use you can hear the difference. Mesa cabs with V30's do indeed sound different than those made by Marshall. But another important aspect is the way in which the cab responds to high volume and different amp output. Open vs Closed backs can make a huge difference as can the actual size of the cab. Wood can make a difference, yes, but so can almost anything on the cab. Right down to the type of screws used. But there is a minimal difference. Also the quality of workmanship makes a difference. So if you are in the cab market try a few things out and just see what sounds best with YOUR head.
Its all about the dimensions. Larger cabs will have more bass. Ported cabs will have more bass. Its the same as sub enclosures in car audio.
Quote by Syn Harvest
usually the difference is speakers and Cabinet wood

Like mesa Cabs are made of very dense dark wood so it has a very bassy tone to it.

While Marshall cabinets the wood is not so dense very open so it has more midrange to it.

lol? Most cabinets are made of birch ply irregardless.

Things that determine the tone of the cab

Quality of wood (higher quality = more dense = heavier = more toneally signifigant)
Size of cab (bigger = bassier on most occasion)
Porting
Backing (Open or Closed enclosure)
Speakers
Quote by xxgenocide98xx

Quality of wood (higher quality = more dense = heavier = more toneally signifigant)
Porting
Speakers

YA i was just going off waht i was told because i dont know a whole lot about cabs.
Member of UG's Gain \/\/hores - pm gpderek09 to join
Quote by xxgenocide98xx

Porting
Speakers

Wait...is that in order?
Not in order, thats off the top of my head. its hard to say the order but it'd probably look like this

Speakers
Size
Construction (Open/Closed back)
Porting
Wood Quality.
Quote by That_Pink_Queen
Nah, open closed back is VERY important

Open closed back-speakers-dimensions-wood

No way... Speakers are far more important than closed/open/ported. IMO at least.

Those are the main two though. The woods used have nearly no effect on tone unless they are using a very hard wood (like maple) in which case the sound will be terrible due to the wood "ringing."

For sale: Early 1985 Ibanez AH10 (Allan Holdsworth signature model) PM for details