Page 1 of 2
Is there a doom metal scene these days? I cant really think of any newish bands or if the music has faded out, I know of a band called paramaecium and they did a album recently, is there any others?
Doom metal is alive and kicking, LOTS of good quality music being made.
2006 AND 2007 Ultimate Guitar Best Vocalist

Quote by Magero
Jack - 3:54 AM
I will smoke, and eat and watch Futurama in your honour
*waits for Spynal*

Check the recommendation thread, too.

Edit: Damnit he's fast!
Senthil
Wormphlegm
Pantheist
Ahab
Monolithe
Mournful Congregation
Bosque
Shroud of Bereavement
Austerity
Until Death Overtakes Me
Esoteric
Rigor Sardonicous
The Funeral Orchestra
Tyranny
Torture Wheel
Swallow the Sun

for starters

Quote by Magero
Wow Didn't realise these, I know I should be asking in the recommendations thread but can you recommend me some =]
i like... such as...

beatrik
elysian blaze
empyrium
autumnia
cultus sanguine

whats the "best album" from unholy (finland)?
Stone Wings ftw!

And Spynal Esoteric sound pretty good. Are they still looking for a drummer?
My Last.FM page. Add me!

Quote by severed-metal
I frequent so many big dick forums it's ridiculous

PSN name: sixty5days
I havn't checked out much Doom Metal, but I do like High on Fire. I've looked them up and seen they are Doom/Stoner Metal.
Quote by grave
i like... such as...

elysian blaze

I heard this one song, "Sigh of Night." Brilliant.
Quote by SGRocker0791
I havn't checked out much Doom Metal, but I do like High on Fire. I've looked them up and seen they are Doom/Stoner Metal.

I would have said that HoF were more straight up Stoner Metal...if you want that sound only more doomy, check out Sleep (Matt Pike, the singer/guitarist formed High on Fire when Sleep split up), Electric Wizard, Earthride, etc
Quote by chylde_of_fire
I would have said that HoF were more straight up Stoner Metal...if you want that sound only more doomy, check out Sleep (Matt Pike, the singer/guitarist formed High on Fire when Sleep split up), Electric Wizard, Earthride, etc

Sleep. How can I forget about that band. Sleep's Holy Mountain is probably in my top 15 favorite all time albums.

And of course, you can't forget about all the classic doom metal acts, My Dying Bride, Candlemass, Novembers Doom, etc.
My Last.FM page. Add me!

Quote by severed-metal

Quote by Spynal
Mournful Congregation

Ftw.
LAMMERGEIER
Disclaimer: Dyer's Eve can not be held responsible for the loss of time spent or the insult to your aural senses as a result of exploring this link
Quote by kirkisking
And of course, you can't forget about all the classic doom metal acts, My Dying Bride, Candlemass, Novembers Doom, etc.

...Pentagram, Sabbath, Saint Vitus, The Obsessed, Witchfinder General, Trouble, Solitude Aeturnus...
Yeah, but Saint Vitus, Witchfinder General, and The Obsessed all split up. I love those bands, though.
My Last.FM page. Add me!

Quote by severed-metal

Seems I completely missed the point of the thread....
Don't mind me, I just get off over Trad. Doom on a daily basis.
Quote by chylde_of_fire
Seems I completely missed the point of the thread....
Don't mind me, I just get off over Trad. Doom on a daily basis.

No worries.

And threadstarter, if you want some really good, drone doom metal:

Sunn O)))
Earth
Apocalyptic Agony
Hyatari
Pelican
Funeral Ward
Black Shape of Nexus
Tusks of Blood

are all good.
My Last.FM page. Add me!

Quote by severed-metal

Quote by kirkisking
Stone Wings ftw!

And Spynal Esoteric sound pretty good. Are they still looking for a drummer?
This could be my big break!! *does a crazy fill*
Quote by grave
i like... such as...

beatrik
elysian blaze
empyrium
autumnia
cultus sanguine

whats the "best album" from unholy (finland)?

I've never considered Beatrik or Elysian Blaze doom. They're straight out atmospheric black metal (Elysian Blaze is more atmospheric and brilliant).
Quote by grave
cultus sanguine

Fuck those damn Italians!

I was going to form a funeral band called C.S, and when I saw the name taken I was like, WTF!?!?!?!?

Quote by Magero
The doom metal scene is pretty healthy i think, but its a real shame Reverend Bizarre split up, because they were the best new band around IMO.
I was bad with usernames at age 12. Ah woe.
When it comes to Doom I generally only like Funeral, particularly Nortt and Thergothon.
Originally posted by Novaworld
Smiddys right...
Quote by Spynal
Wormphlegm

Wormphlegm / Wormphlegm

Can't decide. I'm not sure what I think I either hate or love them. Gotta give 'em kudos for "In an Excruciating Way Infested With Vermin and Violated by Executioners Who Practise Incendiarism and Desanctifying the Pious" though.
I've been listening a lot to Shape of Despair lately, especially their latest albums. I'm glad they got rid of that flute after the first album.
Quote by kirkisking

if you want some really good, drone doom metal:
Black Shape of Nexus

He Kirkisking, thanks for mentioning us here in this thread. We have some new songs online, maybe you dont know them yet:
BLACK SHAPE OF NEXUS
Quote by Spynal

Monolithe

I can't ****ing wait till Monolithe III comes out, any news on it?

Quote by Spynal

Senthil

Didn't he get murdered?
Quote by justinb904
im more of a social godzilla than chameleon

Quote by MetalMessiah665
Alright, I'll give them a try, Japanese Black Speed rarely disappoints.

Quote by azzemojo
Hmm judging from your pic you'd fit in more with a fat busted tribute.
Quote by Bilzzard_of_Ozz
Wormphlegm / Wormphlegm

Can't decide. I'm not sure what I think I either hate or love them. Gotta give 'em kudos for "In an Excruciating Way Infested With Vermin and Violated by Executioners Who Practise Incendiarism and Desanctifying the Pious" though.

definitely great stuff, in my humble opinion. did anyone check out the wormphlegm lp on painaic?
I've heard that The Sword are considered doom metal, but I'm not familiar at all with the genre... is that true or just ignorance?
Quote by smiddy
When it comes to Doom I generally only like Funeral, particularly Nortt and Thergothon.

Agreed.

I love Grívf, Maiden Voyage, Thergothon, Tyranny, Reclusiam and Comatose Vigil.
Doom scene is very strong, I've been getting into funeral doom alot more recently, and there are some great active bands out there.

Esoteric *Super slowed down *
Duncan:

No news on Monolithe III yet, I'm eagerly awaiting it myself, and Senthil contained more members than one, and yes, one was murdered.

Quote by B.SON
definitely great stuff, in my humble opinion. did anyone check out the wormphlegm lp on painaic?

'Tomb of the Ancient King' is fucking fantabulous.

And inn the 'currently active doom' category, my funeral project, "Monuments to Sorrow" should have some samples up later this week. I still have some vocal work to do and have been at my job constantly working like a black child in colonial America. The album, tentatively called "In the Spirit of Tragedy" is due sometime in the coming months

Quote by Magero
Page 1 of 2