The pole pieces are spaced further appart. The "F" comes from Fender...I think...The standard spaced pole pieces were too narrow for the tremolo of Fender guitars. Gibson still uses the standard spaced pickups on all their guitars, since theres no tremolo to deal with.
My Gear:
American Deluxe HSS Strat
Crate GT212
Vintage '66 Fender Champ Amp
Dunlop Crybaby 535Q
Jekyll & Hyde Ultimate Overdrive
Vintage '74 MXR Script Phase 90
Vintage '77 MXR Flanger
Orange Squeezer (clone)
Quote by amazingdm
it's a bit vague, but would a Fender Standard Fat Strat be F-spaced?

Yes, if it has a trem. That's why EVH angled the humbucker in his original Frakenstrat. He angled it so the pole pieces would line up with the stings.
There once was a man who really loved salt
So he tied his nose to the sea
And then God came down from his silver throne
And said, 'Honey, that water ain't free
Actually, F-Spaced refers to the pole spacing in that its spaced to work with a Floyd Rose trem, being that the strings are set further apart then a standard trem.
Quote by ClaptonRules
Actually, F-Spaced refers to the pole spacing in that its spaced to work with a Floyd Rose trem, being that the strings are set further apart then a standard trem.

That's what I originally thought.
Quote by sethp
listen to RideTheAnger, he is wise beyond his years.

A recent study shows that 92% of all teenagers have moved on to rap music. Put this in your profile if you are one of the 8% who stayed with the real music
Last edited by RideTheAnger13 at Jun 16, 2006,
Umm doesn't it refer to Fender?

Most Stratocasters don't have floyd rose.. so which is it, standard or F-spaced?
If it has an arm on it, it's F spaced.
#12 of the "Ibanez SZ over RG Club!" PM ibanez4life SZ! to join!
Fenders with a standard trem are standard spaced pickups. But if oyur Fender has a Floyd Rose on it then the pickups are F-Spaced. A Floyd Rose bridge sets the strings spacing wider, therefore a standard pickup wont pick up the string resonance right from a F.R. bridge. And in the same instence an F-Spaced pickup will not pick up he string resonance from a standard bridge correctly.
ok now I'm confused

what do all/most stratocasters that DONT have a floyd rose have? I'm assuming it's F spaced since the F is for Fender
F-spaced are just pups with a more spread out pole spacing.

Useless, IMO. You couldn't distinguish one from the other, even if you weren't blind folded, and you certainly can't notice it in sound.
just worried about compatibility..

can anyone confirm what standard/american strats are?

thank god i have a lotta time til I have to buy new PUs
just click the link i posted. it shows the measurements of what pickup is normal spacing and f spacing is. it's the measurement of your strings so that the magnets could be right under it and pick up the vibrations better.
dr.doctor yeah I've read it before so that's why I assumed it was meaning Fender. I can't measure anything right now (no guitar atm) so I'm just confused.. it was a bit vague on what Strats are or if mexican strats are different or anything but I'd assume not
It doesn't make any difference, really. I have an Ibanez with a vintage-style (Fender-style) trem, I put in a non-F-spaced humbucker in the bridge, it sounds fine, and there is definitely room in the pickguard and routing to use an F-spacer if I chose to.
F-SPACED PICKUPS ARE FOR FLOYD ROSE TREMS. Stratocasters use non F-Spaced pickups. The F doesnt stand for Fender it stands for Floyd as in Floyd Rose. And there will be a difference if you use F-Spaced pups on a standard bridge. And yeah Danno your guitar sounds fine cause you used a standard pup in the right bridge.
F-spaced came from Fender, and it's a coincidence that today it could also be called Floyd-spaced. I put a standard pickup in my RG with a trem, but it doesn't seem to matter. For example, the B string is dead on the pole piece but the low E is completely off of it, yet neither one sounds louder or more clear than the other. F-spacing seems to be pointless, other than for aesthetic reasons or for real obsessive compulsive tone-snobs.
Originally posted by Geetarbumb
I think your screwed ! You should quit guitar and take up the skin flute!
It appears Fender spacing is the same as floyd rose spacing.

A long time ago (in the 20th century, actually) the electric guitar world was divided between Gibson and Fender designs. One of the differences between the two was string spacing. In general, Gibson chose a narrower string spacing at the bridge than Fender, and therefore the polepieces on Gibson humbuckers were closer together than the magnets on Fender pickups. When guitar shops started installing humbuckers in the bridge position of Strats, it was obvious that the strings didn?t line up with the polepieces, and if the E strings were too far outside, the sound could suffer. DiMarzio's first humbuckers followed the original Gibson spacing, and they called them standard-spaced. When DiMarzio released their first humbuckers with wider spacing, Floyd Rose bridges were very popular. Floyd string-spacing is the same as Fender spacing, so they called the new pickups F-spaced.
Quote by sethp
listen to RideTheAnger, he is wise beyond his years.

A recent study shows that 92% of all teenagers have moved on to rap music. Put this in your profile if you are one of the 8% who stayed with the real music
Last edited by RideTheAnger13 at Jun 16, 2006,
No, standard spacing on standard Stratocasters is narrower then an F-Spaced pup. F DOES NOT STAND FOR FENDER. Floyds werent even popular back in the 50's when electric guitars really started to take off. Thats why Gibsons and Fender pups can be interchanged, I know I've done it. Gibson pole pieces arent wider then fender unless it has a Floyd Rose trem on it. If you dont believe me take a tape measure and measure them. Then measure a Floyd Rose and a standard trem, not only a standard on a Fender but any brand of guitar. Standard trems from Fender or any other brand will be roughly the same width. But a Floyd Rose is wider then a standard trem or even a fixed bridge. If you put an F-Spaced pup in anything other then a Floyd Rose bridge it wont line up right. The pole pieces are wider set then a standard pup. Therefore like I said earlier, F SPACED PUPS ARE FOR USE WITH A FLOYD ROSE STYLE TREM.
Who gives a flying **** WHAT it stands for. The answer is the same. It could stand for Ferrari spacing. It doesn't matter. The pole pieces are farther apart to compensate for trems. Everything else is spam.
Hi, I'm Peter