I posted this in the Guitar Gear forum, but I think I'd get a better / more knowledgable response here... I'm a n00b

Ok, so after much deliberating, I chose this as my bass head of choice. But now I have no idea what cab I need. Basically, my band gig a lot and we're touring over the summer, so it's bye bye combo amp and hello head. The venues will all have a cab I can borrow so it's much easier to just cart a head around.

However. I want to get a cab as a sort of "just in case" thing. I mean, a head won't be much use for practicing or playing small gigs unless I have a cab.

Cut to the chase, right? Ok. I've been pulling my hair out because all these cabs tell me different specs, and I have no idea which cab fits my head, or whether I can just plonk it on any cab and it'll work. I know that I don't want to be putting a 300W head to full blast through a 150W cab, but that's it

So what's a good one to buy? What cabs are bad, and which are good?

I'm looking at spending around £200... I know that's not very much, but it's all I have

Thanks for helping a n00b out
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██
████████████████████
██
████████████████████
██████████████████████
Ashdown Mag410T 4x10, 300$usd. matches the head.
Ibanez SZ 520
Ibanez Rg270 dx
crate Gt200 Tube/Solid Hybrid
Soon to be- Peavey ultra 60 tube head
ClassicAxe-"Jackson doesn't make Soloists so Emo kids can come and sing about slitting their wrists.They make quality guitars."
^ im pretty sure avatar dosent ship to europe

edit: ......and i was right
Quote by avatarapeakers.com
3. Can you ship to me in Europe? Sorry no, not at the present time as we don't ship outside of the US. We are looking for dealers in other parts of the world so they may be available at some point in the future. We currently have dealers in Holland, Canada and Finland. Please see bottom of home page for links.
Quote by Virgil_Hart05
to be honest I think his hair looked awesome long, and he was quite sextastic to be honest... I'd do him

haha, you'd do me....

The Tim Sawyer of the Primus Sucks Club. PM StratEnRegalia to join.
Go with the Ashdwon 410 Deep or the Hartke 4x10..i forget the name of the model but its a 300 or 350 watt head and its $300 USD.
-Fender Deluxe Active P-bass (60th anniversary)
-Peavey T-40 (1982)
-Hartke HA-3500
-Aguilar GS 2x12
-GK Backline 2x10
Quote by purple-giraffe
^ im pretty sure avatar dosent ship to europe

edit: ......and i was right

and you were wrong...
http://www.gear4music.nl/ They ship to Belgium, so why shouldn't they ship to the UK? Shipping within europe is fairly cheap... I think it will cost you around £20 for the shipment, but mail them if you are interested...

And Ashdown should be a good match (du-uh...). Hartke is a good buy for it's price also...
If you want a clear tone, get a 4x10. If you want an earht-shaking tone (more lows) go for a 1x15 cab. If you want best of both world, get a 2x12 cab...
Quote by John Swift
My neighbour bought his son a Mark Hoppus bass for Christmas, the set-up on it was terrible (the neck had so much bow they should have supplid arrows with it).

Its nice to be important, but its important to be nice...
Thanks for all your help!

Ok, another question.... That's a 300W head. If I were to buy a 250W cab, would it be safe? Would I have to make sure I never put it to full volume? Sorry, I'm a complete n00b
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██
████████████████████
██
████████████████████
██████████████████████
It depends on whether the head will push all 300W into one cab...I havent seen (on any website) what that amp head pushes into an 8ohm load or a 4ohm load, so I cant be sure...

But either way if you have a 250W handling cab and a head that pushes 300W it should be ok as long as the volume on the head isnt maxed out often...It CAN be maxed out (I think, dont quote me on this) because speakers can handle peaks of power that are usually equal to twice as much as their continuos power rating...In this case the speaker(s) in the 250W handling cab would be able to withstand a peak power rating of about 500W, so you can push the volume up high every now and then if you want...I think...

Someone correct me if I'm wrong...

And if you want a more in-depth explanation on the ohms and impedance stuff then ask Funkmaster, he's very knowledgeable on these things..
"All matter is merely energy condensed into a slow vibration and we're all one consciousness experiencing ourselves subjectively, theres no such thing as death, life is just a dream and we're the imagination of ourselves."
Why thank you But ohms and impedance are kinda the same thing Resistance, or impedance in our case, is mesured in Ohm. (Sorry, I couldn't resist )

I just checked Ashdowns website and the Head delivers 300w at 4ohm. When you hook up an 8ohm cab, the amp will push about 150w into it. Even tough this is less than the cabs rating, this could kill the cab if the amp is maxed out. A clipping signal won't make your cab sounding happy. But in normal circumstances this should be fine... Just trust your ears to get a clean singal and make sure the amp doesn't clip.

I think I remember John making a post about matching or not matching cab and amp power ratings... I'll have a look tomorrow, it's getting late.
Quote by John Swift
My neighbour bought his son a Mark Hoppus bass for Christmas, the set-up on it was terrible (the neck had so much bow they should have supplid arrows with it).

Save more money and buy a better head. A $300 head is going to SUCK! I got a $600 head and it's okay but... I already had it repaired once and it sounds like it's going to need it again. Save up, I'm serious. Too many n00bs think they need a head and cab NOW. You can wait a bit and buy something better. You'll want it and will have to wait longer because you spent $600 on this ****.
TRANSFIXUS SED NON MORTUUS
Quote by FunkMaster
Why thank you But ohms and impedance are kinda the same thing Resistance, or impedance in our case, is mesured in Ohm. (Sorry, I couldn't resist )

Hey, gotta give credit where credit is due right?...I've learned a lot about this stuff from reading posts from you and a few others on this forum...And yes I know about the ohms being the unit of measure for impedance, I just wanted to write ohms and impedance for some reason ..or maybe it slipped my mind for a second ...

anyways...
I just checked Ashdowns website and the Head delivers 300w at 4ohm. When you hook up an 8ohm cab, the amp will push about 150w into it. Even tough this is less than the cabs rating, this could kill the cab if the amp is maxed out. A clipping signal won't make your cab sounding happy. But in normal circumstances this should be fine... Just trust your ears to get a clean singal and make sure the amp doesn't clip.

I think I remember John making a post about matching or not matching cab and amp power ratings... I'll have a look tomorrow, it's getting late.

uh, I guess I was wrong on my whole thing about peak power?...Yea I was thinking I might have been wrong...

By the way can you explain why "Even though this (150W) is less than the cabs rating, this could kill the cab if the amp is maxed out"?...I'm just curious about this sort of thing and this sentence didnt make sense to me...Then again I am a noob at this stuff...

I'm also planning to get an amp head and cab sometime soon so I want to learn as much as I can about this stuff before making any purchase...
"All matter is merely energy condensed into a slow vibration and we're all one consciousness experiencing ourselves subjectively, theres no such thing as death, life is just a dream and we're the imagination of ourselves."
Last edited by XeNoCiDe730 at Jun 17, 2006,
Well, you were right about the peak power. Speakers can handle extra power, but not for a long time. So the most important value is the RMS value, this is the power rating the speaker can endure for a long time.

Clipping occurs when you ask to much output from the amp (you ask more power than it can give) by setting your pre-amp or bass to loud. This will result in the sine wave to cut off at the top and bottom. This will result in a distorted sound. So your sound will suck. But it will also damage the speaker because the voice coil is overheating. If you want more info, check the sites below.
Glossary: http://www.crutchfieldadvisor.com/ISEO-rgbtcspd/learningcenter/car/amplifiers_glossary.html
About clipping: http://www.bcae1.com/2ltlpwr.htm
Quote by John Swift

Quote by FunkMaster
Well, you were right about the peak power. Speakers can handle extra power, but not for a long time. So the most important value is the RMS value, this is the power rating the speaker can endure for a long time.

Clipping occurs when you ask to much output from the amp (you ask more power than it can give) by setting your pre-amp or bass to loud. This will result in the sine wave to cut off at the top and bottom. This will result in a distorted sound. So your sound will suck. But it will also damage the speaker because the voice coil is overheating. If you want more info, check the sites below.
Glossary: http://www.crutchfieldadvisor.com/ISEO-rgbtcspd/learningcenter/car/amplifiers_glossary.html
About clipping: http://www.bcae1.com/2ltlpwr.htm

Wow, thanks for all that: it's really helpful! I'll check those links out now

Quote by Bassman86
Save more money and buy a better head. A $300 head is going to SUCK! I got a $600 head and it's okay but... I already had it repaired once and it sounds like it's going to need it again. Save up, I'm serious. Too many n00bs think they need a head and cab NOW. You can wait a bit and buy something better. You'll want it and will have to wait longer because you spent $600 on this ****.

Did you bother reading my post? I'm going on tour and to the recording studio next month, so I need a head asap. The cab isn't such a massive problem for the tour, because I'll just borrow one off the support band's bassist, but I will need one for practices / smaller gigs. I'm not rushing out to buy the cab, that's why I've asked here for people's opinions. Any more problems?
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██
████████████████████
██
████████████████████
██████████████████████
Out of interest, what made you go for the MAG? I'm after a bass head and was pretty much set on it, but I'm after another opinion

thanks
Just to clear up any confusion. (If there is any left anyway...)

You can use a head that exceeds the cabs rating, it is safe as long as you don't crank the head to 10. Speakers can handle the extra power, as long as you don't do it much. If you hear the speaker farting out, the speaker should be fine, but it means that you need to turn the head down. Like funkmaster said, use your ears and commmon sense, you want a clean tone.

However, using an underrated head and cranking it into distortion can destroy your speaker alot faster. (This is true for hi-fi amps as well.) Again, you want to have a clean signal.

The clipped signal in this case is coming from the poweramp, preamp clipping is alright as long as you actually want a distorted sound.
"You can practice to attain knowledge, but you can't practice to attain wisdom." - Herbie Hancock
You don't really need to say goodbye to your combo, I use a combo and thinking of using a 4x12 cab with it cos I found out all the spec etc for the cab and combo and they match up perfectly. However, the cab is alot bigger in size then the combo so it might look stupid but its not really a biggy.

How much louder can heads and cabs be then a big combo, cos my combo completely outpowered a mate of mine whos got a half stack? I only had mine on 4 as well which seems odd seeing as he had his at the same volmune level?

Its not size that matters, its what you do with it!! This goes for bass amps as well!!