OK I was wanting to put a kill switch on my epi Les Paul but, I don?t want to do anything to the body. I was wondering if I would put in a push/pull pot of either one of the volume or tone knobs. I thought I would just have it kill all sound from both humbuckers at the same time no matter what humbucker is selected. I also don't want to lose functionality of any of my volume or tone knobs. Is this possible? If so how would i do that? I really have no idea what I am doing or even talking about so if anybody has a better Idea I am open to suggestions.
Last edited by Alex88 at Jun 15, 2006,
...how about, get a volume pedal? then you dont got to mod anything on your guitar............just tell me to shut up if that answer had nothign to do with your post.
http://www.theweekendkids.com

Gibson Les Paul Studio w/dirtyfingers pickups
Gibson Joan Jett Melody Maker
VOX ac30 head
Marshall 1960 4x12 cab
Fender Hot Rod Deville
Get a concentric knob, use it for either bridge v/t or neck v/t and then use the empty space for a kill switch.
Why don't you just turn the rhythm knob all the way down and use the toggle switch as a "killswitch". Morello does it... I do it.... give it a shot.
Mesa Dual Rec/ Mesa 4X12 cab
01 PRS Custom 22
06 PRS Singlecut Ann.
1965 Fender Mustang
Ibanez acoustic
AceFrehley Epiphone LP
Takamine Explorer
tr-2 tu-2 / EHX DMM / MXR Script Phase 90 / SMM w/ HAZR
WH-1 Whammy / 535Q Crybaby
Don't you meant a volume knob?

The difficulty with using a push/pull pot as a kill switch is that you have 2 parallel sets of pots.
Posers are like punks, except they do it for fashion

notUG PUNK FORUM PRESIDENT!
Quote by guitarrocka205
Why don't you just turn the rhythm knob all the way down and use the toggle switch as a "killswitch". Morello does it... I do it.... give it a shot.

yes just turn you volume knob down all the way and then toggle the switch and it will act as a kill switch, its very simple
Quote by Teleprompters
yes just turn you volume knob down all the way and then toggle the switch and it will act as a kill switch, its very simple

that's idiotic.

ud lose the divercity of having 2 humbuckers.

i would drill a hole, but what you could do is instead of the neck volume knob, use the bridge volume knob for both volumes, and fill the neck one with the killswitch. you would lose the diversity of having two volumes, but at least you wouldn't drill any holes and still be able to use both hums.

or just drill a tiny whole and live with it.
well go ahead and drill your hole in your $1,000 piece of equipment then smart ass
Mesa Dual Rec/ Mesa 4X12 cab
01 PRS Custom 22
06 PRS Singlecut Ann.
1965 Fender Mustang
Ibanez acoustic
AceFrehley Epiphone LP
Takamine Explorer
tr-2 tu-2 / EHX DMM / MXR Script Phase 90 / SMM w/ HAZR
WH-1 Whammy / 535Q Crybaby
Quote by guitarrocka205
well go ahead and drill your hole in your $1,000 piece of equipment then smart ass

yes, do it. it's not like you're going to decide having a killswitch was bad. just don't use it.

unless you're a twat and can't handle the sheer power of a drill......
Quote by jpetrucci5655
yes, do it. it's not like you're going to decide having a killswitch was bad. just don't use it.

unless you're a twat and can't handle the sheer power of a drill......

+1.

Its just a hole.
OK you talked me into it, Ill just drill a hole. Now another guestion. How do i do that with out making the paint chip. Is there a certain kind of bit that I need to use or will this even be an issue. I think I understand how to wire them up so that shouldn't be a problem. Also i have another guestion. The volume knob for my bridge pick up will not turn all of the way off. Whats up with that?

Thanks
Quote by jpetrucci5655
that's idiotic.

ud lose the divercity of having 2 humbuckers.

i would drill a hole, but what you could do is instead of the neck volume knob, use the bridge volume knob for both volumes, and fill the neck one with the killswitch. you would lose the diversity of having two volumes, but at least you wouldn't drill any holes and still be able to use both hums.

or just drill a tiny whole and live with it.

you are retarded, im trying to save a kid from drilling a hole in his gibson and possibly messing up the paint job or something, after you are done using the toggle as a kill switch you turn the volume knob back up, i know its very complex stuff here but just watch tom morello, i was simply stating an alternative to a kill switch

as for your bridge volume knob not turning all the way off, it might just be a bad pot, try the neck too
Last edited by Teleprompters at Jun 17, 2006,
Well actually if yall "twats" could read. Its only an Epi. But threadstarter, dont just slam down on the trigger and go to town on your body. Just slowly start to drill the hole and once you through the finish the speed the drill up. It wont chip at the sirface that way.
Whats a killswitch???? I keep hearing people talk about them!?
“It's easy to play any musical instrument: all you have to do is touch the right key at the right time and the instrument will play itself.” - Bach
^^^ Duh. Its a switch that kills the output of something electronic. God how much more self explanitory can you name something...LOL
OK I did it. IT DOESN'T WORK. Sound comes through. Then I flip the switch and guess what. Sound still comes through. What did I do wrong?? I used a SPDT Switch. And yes I already have the hole drilled
OK you probably need more info than what i just said. On the switch there is 3 lugs. I grounded the first one onto one of the pots. Then I solderd the volume wire to the middle lug. The non the last lug I sent it to the out put jack. I think. Again In both switch positions there is sound.

Thanks
Quote by Alex88
OK I did it. IT DOESN'T WORK. Sound comes through. Then I flip the switch and guess what. Sound still comes through. What did I do wrong?? I used a SPDT Switch. And yes I already have the hole drilled

why wouldnt you test it before you drilled the hole is the wiring correct?
Last edited by Teleprompters at Jun 17, 2006,
well I got it to work. Finally. I put the switch between the lower vol and tone knobs. I don't recomend that. Its hard to get to very fast. But It works and im sick of messing with it. Thanks for all of your help.
You didn't need to even drill a hole...push pull pot anyone? Or push push pot for that matter.

Did you shunt the signal to ground? Or just cut the hot?
Shunting it is a much better idea FTR.
I'm not very active here on UG currently.
I'm a retired Supermod off to the greener pastures of the real world.
You obviously didn't cut it if sound is still comming though. Shunt the hot to ground..
Just add the two wires I've colored in blue.

These go to eleven...
ive been wanting a killswitch in my guitar too for a while now so i went out and bought a 250k push/pull pot and wired it in so that the hot wire is grounded when its pulled...pretty simple

now i wanna experiment with the pot and make something new....maybe selecting only NS,NS+BS,BS when pulled? i dunno how i would go about doing that tho
how many wires do the HB's have, and what color are they? What are those colors connected to? If theres only one wire, and a shield, it's difficult.
These go to eleven...
why dont you just kill the sound on one pickup and flick between it using the normal switch
@leno: becuz i still want the tone of my bridge/neck...

@jim: theres 2 wires in one big wire, one shielding one not...is it possible?

edit:actually, theres 4 wire altogether coming from the 2 HBs...2 shielded 2 unshielded
Hmmm, if theres only a hot, and a shield/ground on each pickup, it's VERY dificult.
These go to eleven...
Ahh.. the good'ol killswitch! My favorite toy!

From my own experience, I would suggest cutting the hot. It sounds alot cleaner than shunting it. Although shunting is a tad bit eazier I will admit.. And some people might like that little click that comes with it...

@JimPlaysGuitar
Hmm.. A humbucker can have 2-5 wires. 2 wires is just 1 in and 1 out. 3 wires is 1 common in and 2 outs. 4 is 2 outs and 1 in. Usually the sheild wire is obvious because it's literally soldered to the case.. but meh.. Experement or something! If you have a multimeter, adn teh wire doesn't go to anything, than it is a ground. Though if you want to find out wire colors I suggest you would experement.
Take the wires, hook em up to a 1/4" phone jack (Guitar jack), plug it into your amp, and rub something metal on the pickup. If you can hear it through your amp, than those 2 go together.

But if your humbuckers are already wired to an array of controlls then you don't have to worry about it... you can just modify the array eazly!
it just sounds normal to me....no noise when its in the pulled position, unless i mess with the pickup selector or something

but yea ill mess around today with the HB today and see if i can find something
Quote by That_Pink_Queen
You didn't need to even drill a hole...push pull pot anyone? Or push push pot for that matter.

Did you shunt the signal to ground? Or just cut the hot?
Shunting it is a much better idea FTR.

well everyone just threw the 'omg yo0 can turn teh t0ne d00n n flickorx teh switchers' thing at him, so im not suprised that he just went with a SPDT.
Cort lover of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join.
On cheating in a relationship...

Quote by metaldud536
If he doesn't use a gameshark, it's not cheating.

I'm a non-regular regular old user.