does anyone know if bigsby tremolo's stay in tune?
i'm looking to buy a guitar and im pretty much decided upon the agile al 2500. the problem is, i can decide between one w/ a fixed bridge, a floyd rose, and a bigsby. i read that floyd rose's are alot of maintenance and idk if i have the patience for one and since i really want a tremolo, i wanted to know if anyone knows about the bisby. thanks
Apparently they're not too good for staying in tune - besides, I'm pretty sure you're not supposed to go nuts with them, like you could an FR.
Quote by Johnljones7443
Apparently they're not too good for staying in tune - besides, I'm pretty sure you're not supposed to go nuts with them, like you could an FR.

That doesnt stop Neil Young. lol

They really dont (even Neil says that) even though they now come with a new bridge, but you always could mod it.
'11 Gibson LP Jr.
'07 Gretsch 5120
'69 Tele
'10 Godin 5th Ave. Kingpin
'03 Blueridge Dreadnought
'02 Custom Martin D-28
Premier Twin-8
Fender Hot Rod Dlx
Boss SD-1
i'm leaning towards the al 2500 with the floyd rose. i just hope i dont want to sell it after a week of playing. also, like ranger mentioned, how would i mod a bigsby to stay in tune?
Quote by Led_Zep
i'm leaning towards the al 2500 with the floyd rose. i just hope i dont want to sell it after a week of playing. also, like ranger mentioned, how would i mod a bigsby to stay in tune?

Locking tuners.
There once was a man who really loved salt
So he tied his nose to the sea
And then God came down from his silver throne
And said, 'Honey, that water ain't free
so if i got locking tuners, i would be able to divebomb and such w/ a bigsby?
sorry if these questions seem stupid, ive never dealt w/ anything other than a strat copy.
Quote by Led_Zep
how would i mod a bigsby to stay in tune?

It requires removing the string bar, then drilling out the holes so that the ball end of the string fits in them, then string through. it also makes it easier to restring it.

you wont be able to dive bomb 30x to the body (youll break the bigsby) but watch the end of the Neil Young/ Pearl Jam Rockin The Free World video and youll see what you can do with a bigsby. (you can find the vid on youtube)
'11 Gibson LP Jr.
'07 Gretsch 5120
'69 Tele
'10 Godin 5th Ave. Kingpin
'03 Blueridge Dreadnought
'02 Custom Martin D-28
Premier Twin-8
Fender Hot Rod Dlx
Boss SD-1
Last edited by Ranger01 at Jun 15, 2006,
Quote by Led_Zep
so if i got locking tuners, i would be able to divebomb and such w/ a bigsby?
sorry if these questions seem stupid, ive never dealt w/ anything other than a strat copy.

No, you won't be able to do Floyd Rose tricks with a Bigsby. If you want to divebomb, you should get a Floyd.
There once was a man who really loved salt
So he tied his nose to the sea
And then God came down from his silver throne
And said, 'Honey, that water ain't free
Quote by Ranger01
That doesnt stop Neil Young. lol

It also doesn't stop him from sounding like ass.

A Bigsby isn't a "trem" in the sense of the word you'd use for a FR. It's more subtle thing, think vibrato instead of divebomb. You should go with the FR, they really aren't THAT much maintainence.
that's just, like, your opinion, man.
Posers are like punks, except they do it for fashion

notUG PUNK FORUM PRESIDENT!
Floyd Roses murder your tone then bury it at the crossroads at midnight, BUT you can only really do the totally wild things with them. (I like Fender ones, which stay in tune nicely with locking tuners and roller nuts etc, and allow a certain amount of scope for insanity, see: Jimi Hendrix).
Feel free to ignore my ranting.

Member of the Self-Taught Club.

A recent study shows that 8% of teenagers listen to nothing but music with guitars in it. Put this in your sig if you're one of the 92% who isn't a close-minded moron.
Last edited by Strat_Monkey at Jun 16, 2006,
Bigsbys are kinda fugly,but they have their purposes
MY GEAR
Ibanez SA160QM
Laney HCM10
Squier Bullet Strat
MXR Carbon Copy
Zoom Tri Metal
Modtone Flanger(mini)
EHX LPB-1
Korg Pitchblack
Timtone acoustic
they look cool...

so vintage
Quote by Duff_McGee
Masturbate. A lot. Seriously.

<----This is a man
yea i think bigsby's look cool. my friend inherited a 73 gibson sg from his dead uncle about a year ago, its got a bisby or a look-alike on it. but i like the tone variations you can get with a floyd, i think thats what im going with, hell if its too much maintenance its my fault right?
Quote by Led_Zep
yea i think bigsby's look cool. my friend inherited a 73 gibson sg from his dead uncle about a year ago, its got a bisby or a look-alike on it. but i like the tone variations you can get with a floyd, i think thats what im going with, hell if its too much maintenance its my fault right?

It's really not that much maintainence. My friend has an Ibanez with their FR copy, and I've never heard him complain. He says the only really annoying thing is that it takes longer to change strings.
thanks for the reassurance guys. if this turns out to be a low end floyd rose copy, is there any chance of it breaking? im getting the al 2500 at www.rondomusic.com
If you are going for some sort of trem but dont want the hassle of a FR a stetsbar is the way to go.

They stay in tune far better than a bigsby and look better but there oh so pricey.

You know you want it..
Tears in waves, minds on fire
Nights alone by your side