Hey
I bought a VOX AD50 recently and I am pretty impressed. I do, however, have a harder time finding a good clean sound. Its either way too quiet or not warm enough for my tastes. Im a huge fan of John Frusciante and although i do not wish to replicate his tone, I would prefer something to that. I also would like to know peoples suggestions for pedals , although I must say I don't like metal. I have a Mex Fat Strat, 535, (about to have) a DS-1, (about to return) a Big Muff, and I've been playing for awhile and have some good knowledge about guitars and tone (if that means anything). Thanks in advance

Oh yeah, and I am aware of guitargeek.com's setup for John, but I realistically cannot buy all that he has, nor do I want to. Id like to know what are worth buying and what are just solid pedals. Im thinking of buying a small clone, but Im not really sure if I'd have a use for it (although I know you cant give a reason to buy one). Is the DS-1 or Ds-2 better? Or even is the DS-1 or th SD-1 better? Theres too many options to decide on ym own and Im not in a viable situation to try them all out and Id like to go in knowing at least what I should look for.
Last edited by HeartInACage at Jun 15, 2006,
Try purchasing an equalizer, I recommend a 10-band EQ. That's all anyone should need but if you choose to go higher that's your choice. Also I would have sprung for the DS-2 as it has the turbo feature. It's basically the same pedal but with turbo on it.
My settings for clean sound:

-single coils
-low guitar volume

-tweed
-gain 12 o clock
-volume 12 o clock
-treble 1 o clock
-mid 1 o clock
-bass 9 o clock
-reverb 10 o clock
-master 9 o clock

EQ's do help a lot though.
Minister of Zeppelinism, PM TheHeartBreaker to join
#6 member of the oasis fan club
Cardinal of The 1st Church of Frusciantism
'89 fender american strat
Vox ad15vt
Peavey raptor plus EXP(bridge: alnico 2 pro)
yamaha f-310p
Yo thanks for the help.
And an equalizer? Thats interesting, and ill definately look into it.

What about a compression pedal? and what kind?
my clean sound:

black 2x12
gain 1 o clock
treble all the way up
mid 9 o clock
bass 3 o clock

turn your guitars volume down a little bit.
1993 Jackson Dinky Professional XL (shred)
Modified Squier Strat (blues and anything)
Vox Valvetronix AD30VT
Boss DS-1 Distortion
Dunlop Original Crybaby GCB-95
Quote by voxdude26
my clean sound:

black 2x12
gain 1 o clock
treble all the way up
mid 9 o clock
bass 3 o clock

turn your guitars volume down a little bit.

Do you notice that you get really bassy sounds on the E and A strings? I cant turn the bass up without having that annoying problem. Its still too bassy at even 8 o clock. The E and A strings that is.
Vox ad15vt
yamaha f-310p
Yeah I get the same problem. Because of the added bass, its much louder when playing those strings as well. If it turn the bass all the way down, then it sounds bad.

Unrelated (or maybe related), i saw some celestion speakers onsale for 30$USD, should I pick em up and if i did, could i switch out the ones in my AD50
Quote by HeartInACage
Yeah I get the same problem. Because of the added bass, its much louder when playing those strings as well. If it turn the bass all the way down, then it sounds bad.

Unrelated (or maybe related), i saw some celestion speakers onsale for 30$USD, should I pick em up and if i did, could i switch out the ones in my AD50

Go for it. But the EQ pedal is a good idea. Because on some amp models there is no mids or bass for example and with the EQ pedal you can customize the sound more.
Vox ad15vt
yamaha f-310p
Quote by The Iron Man
Do you notice that you get really bassy sounds on the E and A strings? I cant turn the bass up without having that annoying problem. Its still too bassy at even 8 o clock. The E and A strings that is.

try using the UK70's model. full treble and half mid and half bass. crank the gain and volume and turn down your guitars volume. thats another one of the cleans i use. i also use the AC30TB model the same way. try it and see how it works out.
1993 Jackson Dinky Professional XL (shred)
Modified Squier Strat (blues and anything)
Vox Valvetronix AD30VT
Boss DS-1 Distortion
Dunlop Original Crybaby GCB-95
If you wanna' get a sound close to John's, use your neck pickup on your Strat, and go on a nice clean amp model on the Vox, and start every EQ knob at 5, and tweak which one you think needs to be turned up more and so on, that should work fine.

The DS-2 has more gain than the DS-1, and the SD-1 is an overdrive pedal to overdrive valve amps.
"Breathe, breathe in the air
Don't be afraid to care"

Fender Strat/Tokai LS80>few pedals>Orange Rocker 30
You do not need more gain then the vox can provide. The heaviest I get is black sabbath and the third highest gain channel can get me there with gain 50%. The EQ pedal can help you get more metal if you still need more. Go to valvetronix.net. On the forums do searches for voxmans posts and youll see why he recommends EQ pedals for anything.
Vox ad15vt
yamaha f-310p
us botique cl and turn the gain all the way up... mess with the settings of the eq..

for a diistortion pedal i would suggest the boss mt2
yo
dont' the the ds1, or the equilizer, or any pedals. it'll just confuse the modeling on the amp.

try using some of it's built in chorus.
Quote by ClassicAxe

consider anything derek suggests, He IS a gain VVhore you know
Quote by jj1565
derek, will you go out wt me?

President Gain Whore -group on profile
I actually hate metal, but I do need a good lead boost and im hoping the DS-1 will provide that for a cheaper price than say the MXR micro amp
^ no. distortion pedals will have the modeling pre amp going and it will sound like ass.
Quote by ClassicAxe

consider anything derek suggests, He IS a gain VVhore you know
Quote by jj1565
derek, will you go out wt me?

President Gain Whore -group on profile