Okay, so I already have a Gibson LP, and I'm looking to get a Strat. I have a few questions about it, before I buy it.

First of all...is a Mexican Strat much more "low quality" than an American...also, is a Strat with a Floyd Rose tremolo system THAT much better than one with a 'normal' Stratocaster tremolo system? I just don't want to put down the extra bucks for one with a Floyd Rose if it's not necessary.

Help is appreciated.

P.S...do I need a Vox wah or a Crybaby?

Thanks.
There's just something about that A minor, G, F chord progression.
Quote by Ledzeppelin144
Okay, so I already have a Gibson LP, and I'm looking to get a Strat. I have a few questions about it, before I buy it.

First of all...is a Mexican Strat much more "low quality" than an American...also, is a Strat with a Floyd Rose tremolo system THAT much better than one with a 'normal' Stratocaster tremolo system? I just don't want to put down the extra bucks for one with a Floyd Rose if it's not necessary.

Help is appreciated.

P.S...do I need a Vox wah or a Crybaby?

Thanks.

Nope they're very good quality actually. I'd say it's sort of a..the Mexican Strats are the right amount of quality for the money (especially with this year's upgrades) while the American is probably more money than quality.. of course prestige and name come in, like iPods.

I've seen people say floyd roses are pains in the ass

if you get a MIM Strat get a 2006
Quality on all guitars varies guitar to guitar, sorry to say. There are some amazing MIM strats and some ****ty MIA strats. However, the quality control on the MIA strats is much higher, therefore, you're more likely to get a nicer strat MIA than MIM. Also, the setup from the factory is usually better. Most importantly, the pots/wiring is slightly upgraded, though with a bit of aluminum tape you can sheild your guitar cavity and not worry about it at all!

Now as far as "Floyd or not to Floyd, that is the ??" It depends on how heavily/frequently you use the tremelo. I only use it for a slight vibrato on my strats, so it works out great.. but if you're pulling virtuoso style tremelo work you really need the OFR. IMO, if you can handle the 'stress' of setting up a floyd rose (Its not very ****in hard) you should get one because they're excellent.

And as far as vox/crybaby goes.. Vox if you don't want to mod it, but if you're thinking about modding your wah get a cheap crybaby and goto town on it!

To put it into perspective-

There are 4 strats in my house right now, 3 are MIM, a 1990, a 2000 and a 2003 or 2004, and a 1989 MIA strat... They;re all pretty much the same quality.. I picked em all out by hand befor eI bought them. Its all about finding a good one out of the bunch and buying it before someone else does!
Last edited by xxgenocide98xx at Jun 16, 2006,
even though telecasters and stratocasters have a different sound, shape and feel, I can tell you that my tele is american and my strat is mexican and there is a huge difference in the feel of the guitar, mostly because the woods that are used for the guitars are different.
Quote by JackWhiteIsButts
I saw Pantera live once, Dime changed into a body bag right there on stage.

Actually, a MIM is a good instrument if you want to spend little bucks. I remember -- I hope my memory serves right on this -- that the MIM bodies and necks are cut in America, right up the road from Ensenada, Mexico in Corona, SoCal. Techically speaking, Ensenada assembles and finishes guitars. I also believe that the only parts that may be made there are pickups.
Quote by xxgenocide98xx
Quality on all guitars varies guitar to guitar, sorry to say. There are some amazing MIM strats and some ****ty MIA strats. However, the quality control on the MIA strats is much higher, therefore, you're more likely to get a nicer strat MIA than MIM. Also, the setup from the factory is usually better. Most importantly, the pots/wiring is slightly upgraded, though with a bit of aluminum tape you can sheild your guitar cavity and not worry about it at all!

Now as far as "Floyd or not to Floyd, that is the ??" It depends on how heavily/frequently you use the tremelo. I only use it for a slight vibrato on my strats, so it works out great.. but if you're pulling virtuoso style tremelo work you really need the OFR. IMO, if you can handle the 'stress' of setting up a floyd rose (Its not very ****in hard) you should get one because they're excellent.

And as far as vox/crybaby goes.. Vox if you don't want to mod it, but if you're thinking about modding your wah get a cheap crybaby and goto town on it!

To put it into perspective-

There are 4 strats in my house right now, 3 are MIM, a 1990, a 2000 and a 2003 or 2004, and a 1989 MIA strat... They;re all pretty much the same quality.. I picked em all out by hand befor eI bought them. Its all about finding a good one out of the bunch and buying it before someone else does!

the pickguards on the MIM are shielded, is that what you mean?

do MIAs have shielding in the body cavity too?