i see on videos and other things the guitarist will put his hand on the strings dead the sound take his hand off and the sound comes back and he does it a lot getting faster, the guitarist of afi does it in the miss murder video, if u could tell me what it is and how to do it i would really appreciate..............................and if this is the wrong forum......sorry.......my bad
its called a dead note. its just what you say it is. they use this to give it a kind of percussive sound. usually done on the 12th fret but it can be done anywhere else on the guitar. So yea there ya go
Unburnzing consists of 1 simple step:Unburnzing

Quote by yawn
Nice user name
Love live metal

Quote by J0NNYBRAV0
ive seen these before. one guy sold 2 air guitars, for $2 each or something. people are retarded, what can i say.
im sry isnt he talkin about a palm mute?
[IMG]http://img398.imageshack.us/img398/9148/dawhip005jf4.jpg[/IMG]

Quote by SuperSamuraiGuy
Thanks for answering all my question ssguitar

JCM900 FOR SELL!
tapping maybe?
Quote by Scutchington
I like this guy, he's UG's Greek, and he just told your ass in two paragraphs. And I once spent 5 minutes watching his avatar.

A Brain Malfunction

We'll Never Admit As Defeat
its not a palm mute i can do that. u do somethin to the guitar to make the sound stop and the exact sound comes back when u take ur hand off. It looks like ur pressing or pulling somethin on the guitar, its not a whammy bar, and if u dont understand that ill give up trying to explain it
Killswitch, you need to get those installed custom. Buckethead has one on his LP...
Ibanez Prestige RG1570 ftw!
(Please let me know if I'm wrong)I think he's scratching (also called "raking")

*Edit* Wait Are we talking about the few times he does that Wammy "like" Movemen
If so may bad
Last edited by Spade1 at Jun 16, 2006,
I know EXACTLY the part you're talking about. Where he grabs the string at I think the 12th fret, and moves it back and forth to make a "da--da-da-dadadaaa" like sound? I don't knwo what it's called, but it's pretty easy to do. Just pinch the string and bend it down until your finger nail hits the next string higher. Each time your nail hits the higher string it will make one of the sounds. Just time it right and it should sound the same. I think he also goes down a few frets through it as well, but I'm not sure. Just mess around with it and you'll get it down.

It's definetly a cool technique.
My Gear:

Washburn WI14 Electric
Washburn D10s Acoustic
Marshall MG100HDFXR Special Edition
Marshall MG412AR Special Edition

Quote by Danno13
^Xenn is my favorite MG owner EVAR.

Quote by jj1565
^ Xenn fav MG user evar
Are you talking about using a delay pedal? I haven't heard the song so I don't know exactly what the sound is, but it sounds like you're talking about delay.
There once was a man who really loved salt
So he tied his nose to the sea
And then God came down from his silver throne
And said, 'Honey, that water ain't free
xenn99 thx that is wat i was talking about and if thats wat the others said was a dead note and raking or watever thx too
you are a god, xenn
Quote by Hpda5121
im not a racist because racism is a crime, and crime is for black people

fender mexican fat strat (discontinued)
mesa triple recto
digitech grunge
digitech death metal
Nice one xenn. I had no idea what he was talking about now it makes sense.
Looking to buy a Fender Jagstang, u sellin?
Quote by rockr09
xenn99 thx that is wat i was talking about and if thats wat the others said was a dead note and raking or watever thx too

No problem. It's a cool technique and isn't too hard to pull off.

Quote by Cal UK
Nice one xenn. I had no idea what he was talking about now it makes sense.

Thanks. From how anyone whould describe it, it could sound like any other technique (like the others mentioned). Really, you'd have to hear the song to know what we're talking about.

Quote by punk_rocker101
you are a god, xenn

Sigged.
My Gear:

Washburn WI14 Electric
Washburn D10s Acoustic

Quote by Danno13

Quote by jj1565
^ Xenn fav MG user evar
I just watched the video and I know what he's doing, it is not a "killswitch". at least like like buckethead has. you'll need a guitar with 2 volume pots on it. turn one all the way down, and you use the pickup selector to switch between them. obviously when it's on the pickup you wont hear anything, and when you switch back you have the same note still ringing out.
^That's not what he's doing. He does the exact technique I described. If he did the pickup change thing, he wouldn't pinch the string and move it back and forth. Try to do it how I said to up there. That's what he does.
My Gear:

Washburn WI14 Electric
Washburn D10s Acoustic

Quote by Danno13

Quote by jj1565
^ Xenn fav MG user evar