hey yall. im hoping yall can help me out. i told a friend online about how slash strings his guitar but he didnt quit understand how i explained it. i tried looking for a pic on google and couldnt find one. and i even searched through the forums on here too and couldnt find the old one. so if some one could post a pic of the tail piece with the strings wrapped around it that'd be great.
I like it because it makes it look cooler. It also allows you to bend a note more behind the tailpiece.
isn't it sopposed to increase sustain?
My Gear-
Gibson SG Junior
52' Hot Rod Tele
American Deluxe Strat
Yamaha Cg-104
Fender Twin (white)
Boss CH1
Boss OC-3
DOD overdrive
Fulltone OCD
Arbiter Fuzz Face
Vox Wah
BBE Sonic Stomp
Dunlop Univibe
Quote by Grimster
I like it because it makes it look cooler. It also allows you to bend a note more behind the tailpiece.

it also allows you to do that kida CHING CHING noise really good to. Zakk does it in one of the sogn i cant remember the name.
Quote by antigonish3
I think this is what he does

You can see it in this pic kinda, zakk wylde does it as well. Put the strings in the wrong part of the tailpiece and wraps it around.

thank you. not the pic i was thinking of but thats what i was talking about. and yeah i know zakk does it too. and to who ever asked what it does, it makes bending easier cause there's less tention and it creates more sustain.
zakk wylde started doing it in order to stop breaking so many strings. stringing it that way decreases the sharp angle of the strings over the bridge, making them less likely to break.
Quote by Chaos Guitar
im great at sweeping but horrible at pinch harmonics

Yes, all the strings' angles over the bridge become less extreme
Quote by Chaos Guitar
im great at sweeping but horrible at pinch harmonics

James Hetfield and Jimmy Page have also used this method for a number of years.

It increases harmonics, sustain, and lessens chance of breakage.
haha
I've strung my Les Paul like that before, and I didn't really notice a difference in bends. I also felt it decreased my sustain rather than increased it.
Quote by gaspasser88
zakk wylde started doing it in order to stop breaking so many strings. stringing it that way decreases the sharp angle of the strings over the bridge, making them less likely to break.

makes sence. thats why i love the bridge on my SZ, the Gibraltar III has smooth, rounded off saddles so the strings dont break easily and it also creates more sustain.

thank God I checked this thread
Quote by bassmo_part2
Embryodead even if she was the hottest thing on the planet, there are lines you just don't cross and on my side of the line we don't finger our sisters.

Official Member of the I <3 Schecter's Club, PM Schecter-06 to join
Quote by MetalUpTheAss

It increases harmonics, sustain, and lessens chance of breakage.

Why would it increase sustain? I would imagine that steep angle over saddles = more downward pressure = more sustain.
i saw one of these threads before with a good pic of it. How do you string it like that though? There is nothing to lock the string wheere it wont just get pulled off?? I heard this method works only on lespaul guitars....
[img]http://img138.imageshack.us/img138/9672/stevevaisigver24vf.jpg[/img]
Just an influence.
Anything with a tune-o-matic bridge and a stop tailpiece.

You still use standard strings, but you pass them through from the "front" of the tailpiece of the "back" and then loop over the "top," whereas normally you feed from the "back" to the "front."
Posers are like punks, except they do it for fashion

notUG PUNK FORUM PRESIDENT!
I use it on my FLoyd Rose, basically the same idea, but yeah I dont understand how it would increase sustain on a tune-o-matic, because...

more downward Pressure = more sustain

Thats why tune-o-matics have more sustain than a hardtail like a tele
Quote by lp_dude_2
makes sence. thats why i love the bridge on my SZ, the Gibraltar III has smooth, rounded off saddles so the strings dont break easily and it also creates more sustain.

nice guitar. I saw a review of one of the SZ's on the Guitar World CD/DVD thing and they said that it was pretty good. It looks nice too and has good pickups. Excatly which SZ do you have?
Quote by Dæmönika
I'm afraid of you...MDoggDX316phobia

Quote by Imperial
Yes, Master MDoggDX316

Ain't Nuthin' But a UG Thang: The Hype Man of the UG Hip
Hop/Guitar Music Equality Illuminati
Quote by Keef-is-king
no, you all have it wrong, slash puts the ball end of his strings on the tuning machines and then knots the strings around the tailpiece like you would on a classical nylon string acoustic

BullCrap.

I just watched his solo live in Tokyo, he has his strings put normally.

He said that he made bending easier for himself by playing in Eb tuning and using 11's.
Quote by SleepTalkinMan
"Ooh! Straight-jackets online! Christmas sorted."
Quote by MDoggDX316
nice guitar. I saw a review of one of the SZ's on the Guitar World CD/DVD thing and they said that it was pretty good. It looks nice too and has good pickups. Excatly which SZ do you have?

thanks man. yeah the SZ's are great guitars. i actually havent found a guitar i like better then it. but that picture isnt of mine. thats the bridge of a SZ320 with the natural mahogany color. ive got the SZ320 in black. here a pic of it:

^yeah that's pretty sweet. the one i saw was the SZ320MH. It had a pretty cool finish.
Quote by Dæmönika
I'm afraid of you...MDoggDX316phobia

Quote by Imperial
Yes, Master MDoggDX316

Ain't Nuthin' But a UG Thang: The Hype Man of the UG Hip
Hop/Guitar Music Equality Illuminati
Quote by OneHappyCamper
BullCrap.

He said that he made bending easier for himself by playing in Eb tuning and using 11's.

THANK YOU. I've never seen Slash use Zakks way of stringing, I also just looked through a whole magazine of just Slash, no pictures had him using that method.
Carvin DC127+Custom Lacewood Build+Godin SD--->Traynor YCV50BLUE

My Build IT'S DONE!
This is the only pic I could find

Look at his bridge; see how the strings come around the tailpiece?

Instead of going towards the body whilst stringing a tailpiece equipped guitar, you go the complete opposite, wrap it around the tailpiece, then through saddles to the nut and into the posts.
Quote by ClaptonFan13
I use it on my FLoyd Rose, basically the same idea, but yeah I dont understand how it would increase sustain on a tune-o-matic, because...

more downward Pressure = more sustain

Thats why tune-o-matics have more sustain than a hardtail like a tele

Yeah right, and Grizzly Adams had a beard. (Happy Gilmore anyone?)

You can't do it with a Floyd.

Heres a pic of Deeg's guitar strung like Zakk's:

Quote by OneHappyCamper
BullCrap.

I think he is right.
I tried it and it has a slightly different feel to it, but it is remarkably easier to bend and has smoother sustain.
Quote by Pinky&The Brain

Brain
Are you pondering what I'm pondering pinky?

Pinky
I think so, Brain, but where would we buy rubber pants at this hour?
if doing that made more sustain it would come like that in out of the factory,the way it is made to work is the best way
It supposedly puts bad pressure on the tail piece and in the long term is bad for the wood. Zakk has a whole lot so he doesn't have to worry about it.
I stole this signature
It is only to decrease the angle as many have already said, so you don't break strings as often. It does NOT increase sustain. I suppose it could make bends easier, I haven't noticed.

I challenge anyone to find me a printed article where Zakk says anything other than helping not snap his A,D,G strings.
Breakfast; the most importent drink of the day.