Just wondering what other effects you would add to distortion to give it that extra edge for soloing and stuff.
I would either buy:
A cs-1- compression/sustain: 'compresses', or levels your volume and adds sustain which makes it so your bends and notes last much longer
A fuzz - my suggestion would be a big muff, although thats up to you
If you get the fuzz, noise suppresor - ...suppresses noise
A chorus pedal - My sug is the Electro Harmonix Small Clone
Delay - EH memory man or Boss Digital Delay
Without a doubt, a good wah (should be your first addition) - Either a dunlop Crybaby (a 535Q adds flexiblity) or a Vox
An equalizer - boss or MXR
A Flanger if you got some cash to burn

also, what amp and what kind of guitar do you have as that makes a huge difference. what kind of distortion do you have as well?
wah is really all you need... well maybe delay and I'm not TOO sure what chorus exactly does ...

[IN PHIL WE TRUST]

Quote by Trowzaa
I only play bots. Bots never abandon me. (´・ω・`)

What would be the best start. Something like the chorus, and delay maybe. Not really after the wah at the moment, and not real sure what the flange does.
Flanger is kind of like a combination of rotary and a jet engine. Its got a distinctive whooosh, but i definately would not suggest it for a starter pedal.
To the person that asked, Chorus is somewhat like delay, where it echos your guitar a short time after simulating a vibrato like effect. its hard to describe and the only way to truly understand it to test it yourself.
But even though youre not feelin the wah, it would be the one id suggest, second being the delay. The wah can be used to a much greater variety than other pedals.
Quote by GANGAS23
What would be the best start. Something like the chorus, and delay maybe. Not really after the wah at the moment, and not real sure what the flange does.

I think a flanger is kinda like a phase shifter in some way (if not kill me, I'd deserve it).

[IN PHIL WE TRUST]

Quote by Trowzaa

Oh and i forgot, maybe an auto wah (or envelope filter). Both MXR and EH (electro harmonix) make amazing ones, although more so EH. Go with the Qtron, itll wow.

If ya got 190 to spare, go with EH tube pedals. The English Muffn is your best bet
A good way to go would be a cheap multiple effects board. From there, you could see what you like and what kind of sound youre looking for and what kind of pedals you want to get in the future.

.....it might be stupid advise coming from me , though, seein as how i dont even own an electric......
my guitar is a modded strat, DiMarzio tone zone in bridge, vintage 2.1,in middle and virtual neck at neck position. My amp is a 75w randall, ss,. I dont have a distortion at the moment(cant decide what i want.) ive found a setting on my amp dist that i actually quite like, so i was thinking of maybe adding some other effects to this. Would this be okay. The other thing is i have an old boss me30 multiple effects that i have never used. could i use this with the amps own dist for the other effects. Is it worth using, heard bad things about it, thats why iv never used it. I dont have a lot of cash.
Well I hate to be a dick, but I do NOOOT suggest a cheap effects board. I do suggest playing with one at the store to see what you like, but itd be a waste of money to buy one, especially a cheap one. Better yet, go to a guitar center and just screw around with all their pedals and see which one you like.
If you dont have a lot of cash, buy a boss DS-1 or SD-1. Theyre both 40-50$ USD, so you cant go wrong.

One is distortion and one is overdrive (respectively), but I'm not sure which one I like more, so Id test it yourself.
I have a DS-1,. it's not a bad pedal.

[IN PHIL WE TRUST]

Quote by Trowzaa

yeah thats what ive been looking at. What about the multiple effects pedal i mentioned. Is that any use. Can i use this inconjunction with a dist pedal, provided i only ued the other effects on it.
1. Buy all kinds of effects.
2. Put a short cord between each of 'em.
3. Put 'em in a shoebox.

Multi-effects! Yeah!

[IN PHIL WE TRUST]

Quote by Trowzaa

Although I agree that a wah is important, a power boost, such as the MXR micro amp, is unnecessary if you have a good lead boost, such as the Big Muff. And you can never haev too many pedals.

More importantly though, are you gigging? Otherwise, I'd settle with your multieffects and see what you need in the future to save yourself some cash.
so in the case of having seperate pedals what order would they go? Just curious as to how it would affect my sound by using the amps distortion and then a single multiple effects pedal for all other effects.
The order is up to you and how your prefer it. I know that sounds like a cop-out, but its true. Just mix and match til you recieve the tone you desire. As for the order of individual pedals, Id worry about it when that moment arises.
Separate pedals? Very important: Gtr>Wah>Dist. Otherwise it'll screw up your EQ something awful. Other than that, yeah, cop-out, it's up to you.

[IN PHIL WE TRUST]

Quote by Trowzaa

so would i be better running my multiple effects pedal into the input jack or the effects loop. Only thing is ill need to work out a setting on the effect board for a stompable bypass. It does have a true bypass but its only a small button thats to small for feet. For a bybass would i just turn all other effects off and turn the volume up on the board. it might not be true bypass but that would be as close as i would get right?