Can baritones still be tuned to EADGBE?

Im interisted in one of these because my favorite band plays in Ab, and even though i have a .11-.70 string set, it wont quite do it.

Whats a good bari for under 700 bucks?
You may be able to tune a baritone up to E, but you'd better have really light strings on there.
Since you didn't list any styles of music, I'll recommend the Fender Jaguar Baritone.
Quote by franz.d.
What to change the band name? No way!! We have a kick-ass logo of a washing machine eating guitars and everything!!

Quote by elvenkindje
Lol, when I'm bored I'm gonna try that with regular dice! If I'm famous I'll thank you for it
why would you want a baritone if your going to tune to eadgbe? the whole point of a baritone is to tune lower without having floppy sloppy strings
Fender '82 Walnut Strat
Fender '65 Twin Reverb Reissue
Voodoo Labs Sparkle Drive
EHX English Muff'n
Boss DD-6
Yeah you can with a capo. And maybe look for a schecter.
#12 of the "Ibanez SZ over RG Club!" PM ibanez4life SZ! to join!
You just might have to use a capo to be in standard....tuning up with the strings on the baritone would more than likely snap the neck....it just couldn't go that high....WAY too much tension.

Maybe a 7 strings would be a good compromise? You have the low notes, but omit the last string, and it is in standard!
i think its B, E, A, D, F#, B
but thats just the Fender Baritone Jaguar
Fender '82 Walnut Strat
Fender '65 Twin Reverb Reissue
Voodoo Labs Sparkle Drive
EHX English Muff'n
Boss DD-6
Yea man, I don't know how you would do standard tuning. It could really mess up your neck going back and forth from tunings. You should just save for two guitars
"ya see baseball got it all wrong...a man with four balls can't walk"
I never play in standard..the highest i play is open D...but thats probably too high do, but i like the idea of a capo
Quote by xxgenocide98xx
Just get two guitars, man...

Why two guitars? Im not seeing it here.

I dont mean to use it for higher tunings, just incase the need be.

I already have 3 electrics, so i can keep that one low. But if i was playing it somewhere i mite need to change tuneings.
Well you can't.. The only way you could really do it is with a capo, and even then you're kinda ****ed because you lose 5 frets...

I'm pretty sure you couldn't find a light enough gauge string for your baritone.

On another note have you tried using a longer scale guitar? Rather than a gibson scale try a fender, I know the tension on my strat is much higher than on my les paul... they arent the most metal guitars in existance but the scale lenght makes em good for downtuning. haha.
Quote by xxgenocide98xx
Well you can't.. The only way you could really do it is with a capo, and even then you're kinda ****ed because you lose 5 frets...

I'm pretty sure you couldn't find a light enough gauge string for your baritone.

On another note have you tried using a longer scale guitar? Rather than a gibson scale try a fender, I know the tension on my strat is much higher than on my les paul... they arent the most metal guitars in existance but the scale lenght makes em good for downtuning. haha.

Id take a metal sounding bari over a butt rock sounding fender.

I think ill get a bari...i like long scales anyways. Ill be the most metal kid around!
Quote by TheFluffy
Id take a metal sounding bari over a butt rock sounding fender.

I think ill get a bari...i like long scales anyways. Ill be the most metal kid around!

Fenders own your soul.

downtuning is for sissies. real men can make music sound br00tal in standard.

And I was implying that if you bought a fender-scaled guitar and used thicker strings as well as shimmed the nut you could achieve a tuning of Ab, I didnt have problem with the same set of strings on A...
Genocide is right. On my Strat I use 13's in standard usually, but I can tune the whole thing down to drop C with no issues at all. I usually just play in standard or Eb though.
I'm not very active here on UG currently.
I'm a retired Supermod off to the greener pastures of the real world.
I've gotten my Strat with 9-46s down to drop-B, but it's not really great for anything below straight-D, drop-C.
you should be able to play baritone with a strat. i have 10-52 on my acoustic and its tuned to b standard.
I R tr00 Member of UG's Gain \/\/hores - don't pm gpderek09 to join unless you are truly worthy
www.purevolume.com/mordecaiaus
Quote by xifr
There is the possibility that I may have or may or may not have gone or not gone into the danger zone.

Quote by lespaulmarshall
I love you Joel
Any guitar can be tuned to baritone, well get like .12s, they really help, I am at least .11s will do.

I prefer ADGBDG more because there is a sharp less and it is easier to play.

Besides its darker.
Quote by Invictious
Any guitar can be tuned to baritone, well get like .12s, they really help, I am at least .11s will do.

My top string is a 70 dude, and its tooo floppy at b.
Quote by TheFluffy
My top string is a 70 dude, and its tooo floppy at b.

What kind of guitar?

I had the ZW set on a les paul tuned to B and I had no gripes about the bass side at all, in fact if you think thats too floppy you're going to have to us a baritone and go up a few string guages. In my opinion thats ****ing rediculous.
"Steinberger Synapse TranScale. seems to be what your looking for, no?"
definetly not, the transcale's intonation goes to hell in A, much less Ab. theres just not enough movement in the bridge. got one, and love it, but BEADF#B is the lowest id recomend on a transcale.
Drop C is as low as ill go... 10-52 with that. Growing up I expiermented with a lot of low tunings and it just sounds sloppy its hard to hear the notes. I listen to some bands that are in drop B and I can't even tell what the hell they are doing. It just sounds like a bunch of noise.