One simple exercise that you can do is change up fingerings in your playing. For instance; say you are playing some sweet arpeggio section or pounding out a heavy ass riff composed of just a few heavy notes. The next time you play that song, try to spontaneously play the notes, the same notes, with a different fingering.

I do this often to alleviate boredom if playing a part that must be repeated a few times. You can either change the location on the fretboard you play, or change the fingers that you use to fret a chord/pattern without altering the location on the fretboard. Or, you can do both simultaneously. Often times, if a riff is repeated 4 times, I will find 3 or 4 ways to play it and switch between them continually. The goal is to do this seamlessly.

One other thing. I often improvise rhythms out of parts too. Live when playing parts that often use the same chord, it is fun to find different voicings of that chord and find tasteful spots to use them.

Scales are fun for this. Take any scale, pretend that one of your left hand fingers is chopped off, and invent a way to comfortably and cleanly play the scale, If you get brave enough, try to play for a day with just 2 fingers. Believe me, no matter what type music you play or how complicated your parts are, you CAN do this.

I thought of doing this years ago when reading about Django. The guy had only 2 functional fingers on his left hand, and yet he ripped. I wondered if I ever had to, could I play and retain any level of proficiency doing this if I had to. At first it is a little clumsy, but it is worth it. You gain a totally new appreciation for the dexterity of your fingers, and moving chord changes and/or scale passages from one position to another becomes second nature eventually. You end up with great technique and develop the urge not to be restrained into boxes on the neck.

Also, this will help if you ever break a string and need to keep playing (provided you aren't using a floating bridge )