I want a better grove and improv skillz. Any tips on building on those??
M374L

Quote by happytimeharry
This is why I'm proud to be an American. Keep your free health care. We get free boxes...

Quickstrike of the Predacons Beast Wars Club
PM NightmareXT To Join!

Bass Militia's Resident Viking PM jazz_rock_feel
to improve your groove, you got to know how to move, you dig, twig?

but seriously: listen to some players you know can groove it up well. easy if youre looking in the Funk section.

look up some larry graham, bootsy collins, listen to Space Cowboy, then study how they groove. but it shouldnt be studying like you study theory. it should be learning to "feel" it.

and what skills? slap? fingerstyle? fretting hand?? TAPPAGE?
Practice everyday. If you want groove your best bet is to stop listening to rock music. Listen to some funk/jazz/soul music and play it all the time.
::::Soul Prospect::::
♪♫♫♫♪
Quote by mangablade

and what skills? slap? fingerstyle? fretting hand?? TAPPAGE?

Tappage. Im good on all other fronts, i pratice so much i barley have a socal life...
M374L

Quote by happytimeharry
This is why I'm proud to be an American. Keep your free health care. We get free boxes...

Quickstrike of the Predacons Beast Wars Club
PM NightmareXT To Join!

Bass Militia's Resident Viking PM jazz_rock_feel
To learn how to groove, you must first understand rhythm. there is no groove without rhythm. When i'm "grooving", i used a lot of dead notes, muted notes to miss certain notes out. this gives me the feel of groove. groove does meant anything though, it's a feeling, not something you can describe. one day it will just happen.....you'll just get it. then when somesone says "play something funky", you know how to make them move their battys

edit: also, for improv skills, learn scales. pentatoni is an excellent scale for mad bass improvs, remember to slide up to the octave and do some little trills or fills or whatever! just get down, brother !
on the topic of improve and scales could some one quickly tab out a pentatonic scales i.e. its shape?
Do a search in the lessons. And without sounding like a wanker, part of improving is a desire to learn and find things out for yourself and not get everything spoon fed. it's so easy to find a pentatonic shape..

but here you go:

A Minor:

|----------------------|----------------------|------------5----8----|
|----------------------|----------------------|--5----8--------------|
|----------------------|------------5----7----|----------------------|
|----------------------|--5----7--------------|----------------------|
|------------5----7----|----------------------|----------------------|
|--5----8--------------|----------------------|----------------------|

A Major

|----------------------|----------------------|------------5----7----|
|----------------------|----------------------|--5----7--------------|
|----------------------|------------4----6----|----------------------|
|----------------------|--4----7--------------|----------------------|
|------------4----7----|----------------------|----------------------|
|--5----7--------------|----------------------|----------------------|
Ok so that pretty much looks like the Blues scales in A (the top one). And sorry for asking, I'm just starting to learn theory more now (never got lessons) and I wasn't asking something stupid like "can you teach me improve".
Quote by Reverb X
Practice everyday. If you want groove your best bet is to stop listening to rock music. Listen to some funk/jazz/soul music and play it all the time.

That's bull****. You can listen to whatever you want.
Musicman Stingray 3EQ
Quote by Beleuchtung
Tappage. Im good on all other fronts, i pratice so much i barley have a socal life...

tapping will come with just practicing and gaining accurracy in your strikes. i have my action pretty low for tapping, if that helps any.

buy victor wooten's fake book, and try norwegian wood, or if you have guitar pro, look up overjoyed on this site. those are the songs i learned on.

and if you have any jazz sheet music or fake books, play the root with your left, and tap out a double stop chord below the octive with your right. then you can start embelishing with your left, and play bass and chords at the same time
Quote by Mr. T
"Mr. T defines love as the reluctance to murder. If you're still alive, it's because Mr. T loves you."
^ takes a helluv alot of finger strength too, it will take you a while to get it down if you havnt been doing much tapping.
Quote by mangablade
^ takes a helluv alot of finger strength too, it will take you a while to get it down if you havnt been doing much tapping.

yup. its my least practiced style as well, and i still mess up on the songs ive been playing for months.

i dont see tapping having any real application other than the need to fill for a guitarist leaving rythm, or for just a solo thing anyway, so i woulndt kill yourself practicing it.
Quote by Mr. T
"Mr. T defines love as the reluctance to murder. If you're still alive, it's because Mr. T loves you."