Hi all. I just decided on a design for my strat's body. I know it looks a bit ambitious, but I'm really good at hand-painting, so I could easily paint the graphic on the body.

The thing is I don't really know what kind of paint I should use for the graphic and whether the body should be lacquered first or not before applying the graphic. It would be helpful if someone could list the process as 1,2,3,4..... Oh btw the body is made out of alder and it is already sanded and sealed. I wanted the base colour to be a glossy white as pictured.

I know I'm asking for a lot, but if you are willing to help, you will be credited in my work since I'll be putting all this together as a graphic design portfolio at college

Have you tried, or can you, airbrush? The graphic would be a lot easier to airbrush then to hand paint, in my opinion. With that many colors and changes, it would be a pain to get all the paint even and smooth and without brush strokes. You'll have to clear over it, and if you've got brush marks and uneven paint, the clear will bring out and make it look horrendous.
dont lacquer the body before the graphic. paint it white, then do the graphic then lacquer/clear coat it.
i cant help with the paint though, sorry.
I R tr00 Member of UG's Gain \/\/hores - don't pm gpderek09 to join unless you are truly worthy
www.purevolume.com/mordecaiaus
Quote by xifr
There is the possibility that I may have or may or may not have gone or not gone into the danger zone.

Quote by lespaulmarshall
I love you Joel
ah i wanted to do something like that before

i just put the paintbrush down, and walked away
0_0

good luck though, would be cool to see the finished product
It's Chico Time
I never had the chance to use airbrush before and it's probably going to cost me quite a bit for the equipment itself....(I'd like to keep it budget-friendly).

I wanted to hand-paint them after I saw Mike Shinoda (Linkin Park) hand-painted the graphics on his guitar and it turned out pretty well.

It's not a very clear pic, but you could see his graphics

But is there a way to minimise the brush marks?
You may need to use acrylics thinned out with with some of that acrylic thinner gel when you paint so the brush marks aren't as apparent.

And if your worried abotu screwing up you cna lacquer over the white body, let it cure and scuff it up iwht 400 grit and paint hte graphic on the lacquer and then lacquer over it again until it's thick enough to sand and buff.
First, you want to scuff sand the body.

Then, prime it.

Then do the base color, white.

Then do the hand painting... I'd say, acrylic paints?

And if the brush marks are too pronounced, a very light sanding to even it out.

And then clear coat. Quite a bit of clear coat.
Posers are like punks, except they do it for fashion

notUG PUNK FORUM PRESIDENT!
You can basically do what stagg said, but the lacquer coat before the graphics is alright, that way if you screw up you cna always snad down and start again without painting white again. And I'd sugest staying away from trying to sand acrylics, a thinner gel woudl be a much better use then trying to fix the brush marks after you paint. And yeah, use a lot of lacquer when it's all cured, I'd say about 20 thin coats maybe. Then sand until the clear is flat, and blah blah then buff blah blah let it coold down blah blah, guitar polish, assemble viola new guitar.
sanding will take out unwanted brush strokes. you could try nail polish. and small brushes.
Quote by kaplac
You may need to use acrylics thinned out with with some of that acrylic thinner gel when you paint so the brush marks aren't as apparent.

So you mix those two first before painting?
Well, in art supply stores there are usually acrylic thinners in the form of a liquid or a gel, that you woudl mix into the paint before you actually use it.

the reason why I siad sanding unwanted brush strokes would not be a good idea is becuase you risk sanding through as well as leaving some possible discoloration.
I forgot that the scratchplate needs to be put on the body too So I made a few adjustments to the design

I also came up with a couple more with different colour schemes. These ones would be easier since all I have to do is to create a stencil of it and spray paint over it.

and also, a new design just for fun.

Well I'm also open for suggestions on the design since there's still time before I actually start this thing.
the last one is the coolest,ithink you should go with that
you cant spell manslaughter without laughter

Quote by ACG
I like my women how I like my cookies. Smothered in diarrhea.
I don't get why you want an Evangelion guitar.

It's really not that good of a series.

Quote by StaggHound
I don't get why you want an Evangelion guitar.

It's really not that good of a series.

Hehe the female characters are hot.

I never thought that I'll be doing an Evangelion guitar at first, the design just popped up in my head at first and went from there. I also came up with a name for it, the Bratocaster (you'll get it if you watch the series lol). I have way too much spare time

My friends thought the series was silly too, but I just happen to like it
Dude, Rei is a robot, Asuka is a bitch, and Misato is a drunk. Ritsuko is a pervert, and the unnamed female controller is a lesbian.

how did you paint those? i think the last one is the coolest. but what program did you use?
~gtrfrk

founder of the dunlop pick fan club

RIP Roger "Syd" Barrett

"Let the good times roll"
Quote by StaggHound
Dude, Rei is a robot, Asuka is a bitch, and Misato is a drunk. Ritsuko is a pervert, and the unnamed female controller is a lesbian.

Well I really like Asuka in particular (which explains the design). I kinda have a thing for women like her, loud and outgoing You're an anime fan too stagghound?

Quote by gtrfrk123
how did you paint those? i think the last one is the coolest. but what program did you use?

Yes all of these were created using Adobe Photoshop 8.0

For some reason most people like the last design. Sure it's easier to paint , but I don't know if I would get a good mark for it. Besides, I would like a bit of a challenge.

Which brings me to the next question, how hard is it to operate an airbrush? I found a site which explains all the basics of airbrushing and everything, but I'm not so sure if it would be that easy...

I wanted to do what kaplac suggested about mixing acrylic paints and thinner before painting, but I just want to invest my money on whichever would be useful in the long run.
Alright, don't power sand it unless you already have experience doing so. I ****ed up my guitar doing that, and I don't want to see you doing the same.

Go down and get.. maybe.. around 80 grit sandpaper. (MAYBE 40 grit if you think you can tell when you have almost made it through the finish) Then sand the paint down with about 200 grit (or so). And if you want to be REALLY anal. Smooth the **** out of it with 400-800 grit.

Now painting.. If you wana do it profesionally. work in layers. And get used to using ALOT of masking tape. I have herd of this special tape that is designed to be bent, and put in circles and stuff that they use on cars. so look into that. Then spraypaint in layers!

Another way is to do this. On a very large scale.. http://www.projectguitar.com/tut/logo.htm
That woudl take alot of work though.. But you seem to be a pretty good artist!

Or you can do acrylics.. Just go over it with 8M grit sandpaper after you're done....

And I have a suggestion! Maybe paint the pickguard aswell? I would suggest doing inverted colors with the pickguard! It would look awesome!

Good luck!
(And this has been done before! http://www.harleyguitars.com/ http://www.harleyguitars.com/images/f181b.jpg )
Thanks a lot Fast_Bear

I'm not very good with tapes, but I guess I'll have to use it to prevent the colours from going through the outlines. I'll try and ask around about that bendable tapes.

That link you gave me was pretty cool, so you're saying that I could do the whole graphic on transparent paper? If so will it work if I use normal acrylic paints instead of those paint pens?

How do you think the guys at harleyguitars did theirs?

Invert the pickguard colour? Thats a very good idea, especially since I'm thinking of getting EMG strat pickups and they mostly come in black

Thanks again
Try craft stores and auto stores...

Hmm... I dunno... I say you should have a print shop print out the lineart with a lazer printer. And I think that if you can use pen ink on it, I think you can use acrylics!

I think those guys use all sorts of mediums. Acrylics, oil, spray, and most everything.

Hahaha, that would be cool. Though if you get EMGs, you might have to do some hard work on your guitar. Unless you wana take apart your guitar to replace the battery... (EMGs are active pickups, they need batteries!)
Quote by indra13
Well I really like Asuka in particular (which explains the design). I kinda have a thing for women like her, loud and outgoing You're an anime fan too stagghound?

I try not to be too much of a fan.

I watched all of Evangelion in one night; and can't stand the thought of watching it agaiun.

For some reason most people like the last design. Sure it's easier to paint , but I don't know if I would get a good mark for it. Besides, I would like a bit of a challenge.

I like it because its more simple, It wouldn't be too challenging if you did Red-tape-Black.