Page 1 of 2
I've tried hard to like fenders, but everytime I went to look at them when I was looking for a new guitar, I would pick it up and the neck would feel and look like a chewed out pencil, on a brand new guitar. The wood looks sort of coffee stained on every single one I've ever seen. Why am I the only one who is bothered by/notices this?
Well....wood has decoloration buddy....I personally LOVE the look of a maple neck+fretboard. I would trade my currents guitars board for one.
Personally , the look of some Fenders with a maple neck with finger marks all over, due to an intense and passionate use ( just think of Keith Richards and his old Tele ) is so COOL . Just love it ... The feel must be just as good .. just like an old baseball mit
yeah fenders are pretty ugly lol. I hate that naked headstock seriously they need to die with their twangy country music.
[img]http://img138.imageshack.us/img138/9672/stevevaisigver24vf.jpg[/img]
Just an influence.
Quote by sylent
yeah fenders are pretty ugly lol. I hate that naked headstock seriously they need to die with their twangy country music.

Yeah.
Dimebag 1966-2004 RIP a true legend

Quote by RingmasterTJ
Dumbest thread ever...when shouldn't you get shit-faced drunk?

Quote by Dirk Gently

When I turn on the TV, I see nothing but black people.[/IMG]

Quote by ckellingc
I jerked off in Wyoming if that counts
12,000 feet ftw!!

Quote by gsr2k6
. Oh, Jesus hates you.
I have an American tele, and ive noticed a difference in the quality of the necks between the us and mexican models. This might be what you have noticed. Otherwise, imo i love the feel and playability of a fender neck. And as for country music, thats nothing a humbucker wouldnt solve lol
Simple answer: Get one with a rosewood neck.

5th Member of the "Marty Friedman > You" Club. PM Apocalypse13 or altronataku to join.
Quote by T_R_A_P_T
Why do you TRY to like a guitar? Are you trying to fit in or something?

Yeah that's it. All the cool kids have fenders. Well, maybe not. I bought an australian made telecaster with australian wood, it looks much better than any fender I've seen. All my guitars are australian made, and the woods they use are a lot better than those piss/coffee stained fenders. Gibson necks look pretty good, but fenders just look trashy and.......yellow.
It's just opinion really, some like Fender necks, some don't.

Personally, I love old Fender maple necks.
"Breathe, breathe in the air
Don't be afraid to care"

Fender Strat/Tokai LS80>few pedals>Orange Rocker 30
Quote by T_R_A_P_T
^^ Buy a Gibson, problem solved.

Nah, you can buy a decent maton/cole clark/belman for less than a gibson or US fender, that's what I've been doing, why pay through the ass for american **** when it is taxed and marked up so high for some arbitrary reason
wtf does it matter what the guitar looks like

as long as it plays well and sounds good who ****ing cares
Quote by dimebag7
Yeah.

Youve got a quote of Jimi Hendrix in your sig, yet you agree that all strats are good for is country music?

Sounds like someones either

1. Mentally Retarded\downsyndrome
2. Blind, and pecking at random letters, happend to strike ''Y e a h''
3. Schizophrenic
4. Dumb
5. A bandwagon jumper
6. On drugs\other substances(like big hairy Dimebag-penis lodged up his ass)
Quote by Johnnyboy66
Youve got a quote of Jimi Hendrix in your sig, yet you agree that all strats are good for is country music?

Sounds like someones either

1. Mentally Retarded\downsyndrome
2. Blind, and pecking at random letters, happend to strike ''Y e a h''
3. Schizophrenic
4. Dumb
5. A bandwagon jumper
6. On drugs\other substances(like big hairy Dimebag-penis lodged up his ass)

Or all 6?
"Breathe, breathe in the air
Don't be afraid to care"

Fender Strat/Tokai LS80>few pedals>Orange Rocker 30
Quote by R_H_C_P
I don't usually do this, but...damn you!

I just looked at your sig, and that's like.. all my dream gear, how is it all?

Nobody in this thread has their gear in their sig man...
The headstock is even patented so i guess most people must like it.
Gear:
Black Jackson Dinky 2
Peavey Envoy 110
and that's it.
i dno... like its awesome but its just so unoriginal

still sounds good lol
Quote by Duff_McGee
Masturbate. A lot. Seriously.

<----This is a man
Umm...Fender created the Strat and Tele. It's not a matter of them being unoriginal, it's just that every single guitar company at one time or another with the exception of Rickenbacker has ripped off the Fender Tele or Strat design. Not their fault they came up with the most popular body style EVER. I prefer Teles over Strats, but I think Fender necks are wonderful things. The choice between a PRS wide-thin and a classic Fender neck is a difficult one, to say the least.
Hi, I'm Peter
Quote by T_R_A_P_T

nooo. dont buy a gibson. cause than you lose your house because you cant afford to pay for it after you bought a half assed guitar. so now your homeless but at least you have half assed guitar to burn for firewood.
My Rig
>MIM Fender Stratocaster and SX SJM-62
>various magicial noise boxes
>Peavey Classic 50 212

For the funk:
>Ibanez ATK300
>Acoustic B100
hahahahahaha

Yeah, if you want to blow that kind of money, PRS. Fer shizzle. Paul Smith uses only the finest firewood for his guitars. But yeah, you'll never hear anyone EVER complain of PRS's quality control. If you do, they've probably been the victim of massive head trauma.
Hi, I'm Peter
Quote by T_R_A_P_T

this guy knows where its at

I actually have a Fender and i think the maple necks look awesome.. i have a rosewood fretboard, so it might look a little different, but Fender necks certainly do not look like ****.

Quote by red star
nooo. dont buy a gibson. cause than you lose your house because you cant afford to pay for it after you bought a half assed guitar. so now your homeless but at least you have half assed guitar to burn for firewood.

dude you know theres something wrong in ur life if u would have to sell ur house to pay for a $2000 Gibson. Its called a JOB.

Proud owner of a Gibby LP Custom and an all-original Vintage '62 Fender Jag

Quote by richwatkinson
Give 10 UGers a rope and ask them to pull. 4 will push, 1 will ask for buttsecks, 2 will tell you get an Ibanez and the last 3 will start complaining about Line6 Spiders.
^^yeah im homeless. its pretty neat that im still able to post on the internet (ghostly voice:how does he do it?! whoooo)
My Rig
>MIM Fender Stratocaster and SX SJM-62
>various magicial noise boxes
>Peavey Classic 50 212

For the funk:
>Ibanez ATK300
>Acoustic B100
I love glossy tinted maple necks. I wish Fender used them on their modern models. Natural satin finish is just not the same.

Speaking of which, does anybody know if there is a safe way to make your maple neck age/turn yellow faster? Exposure to light or some sort of chemical, maybe?

American Stratocaster + Blues Junior

Warmoth has a description of how they do the vintage tint on their necks. But I'm the opposite of you. I like the whiter, new maple look with a satin finish better. Glossy is a little too sticky.
Hi, I'm Peter
Yngwie Malmsteen needs to quit his jangly country tones and get a real guitar!
Posers are like punks, except they do it for fashion

notUG PUNK FORUM PRESIDENT!
Art, i saw a site that explained how to do just that.
let me see if i can find it again. the plastics age nicely with tea dips or hena.
hang on....

^DARN U PETE! always jumping my posts.

http://www.tdpri.com/resourceRELICING.htm
besides warmoth i saw this one. (not the one i originally saw)
didnt see maple necks anywhere tho.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
Last edited by jj1565 at Jun 16, 2006,
Quote by thatguy147
do you know the mexican fender necks are made in america

That's actually true, and there's only about a twenty five minute journey between the Mexcian factory and the American factory. It's not so much quality of the parts, but price of the labour.
My name is Tom, feel free to use it.
sure all of that, the mexican and american division came from the japanese fender factory in the 70's/80's/90's but like the mexican guitars american guitars and japanese guitars were all made in the same machine, fender dont build them from hand anymore
Quote by jj1565
Art, i saw a site that explained how to do just that.
let me see if i can find it again. the plastics age nicely with tea dips or hena.
hang on....

^DARN U PETE! always jumping my posts.

http://www.tdpri.com/resourceRELICING.htm
besides warmoth i saw this one. (not the one i originally saw)
didnt see maple necks anywhere tho.

Thanks, Jenny! It looks like there's no easy way to do it. lol Polyurethane finishes appear to age naturally, but it takes a really long time and I was hoping to speed up the process to give a MIM neck some colour and warmth.

Btw, has anyone ever tried to buff a satin Fender neck to a full gloss? I'm pretty certain that it can be done sucessfully using a buffing wheel and polishing compound. But, I guess it's a little early to be thinking about this, considering my Strat is still on its way from the Fender factory.

American Stratocaster + Blues Junior

Just leaving it out in the sun will yellow the finish; and I've read about people putting guitars in tanning booths.
Yngwie Malmsteen needs to quit his jangly country tones and get a real guitar!

HAHAHAHAHA! That's just what I was thinking!
what happened to the proposed Kirk Hammett flamenco album?

His acoustic didn't sound good with wah pedal, I suppose.
Page 1 of 2