I was just reading a leading a nameless UK rock magazine (let's be fair, only one has any real credibility), and here is an excerpt from what UnderOath were quoted as saying on the subject of modern music. I almost shed a little tear.

"Speaking to [nameless magazine], Tim said of the record: "Every band considers themselves musicians and artists, but where is the art in the records that are coming out in the scene today? There is none. We wanted to get back to that and put some actual thought and intelligence back into something that has been watered and dumbed down for so long"...The guitarist also dismissed the deluge of generic bands in rock music right now: "It is like you don't have a reason to play, a passion or a drive to play music; you just need a black guitar and some make-up, a costume and you're signed to Victory as the next coolest thing ever. One thing that will hit hard is all those bands are over-saturating everything and pretty soon kids are gonna stop buying into Victory Records crap because they are not putting out anything with any real substance. I am not talking about any particular band, but as a whole, that label markets the bands not as real bands with real intelligence and a real purpose; they are just pieces of meat they throw out there. That is only going to last for so long before the 14-year olds you can brainwash with TV grow up and realise it sucks. And that's what we want to - to make the kids realise pretty soon. We want bands that are for real, that really feel music, feel real issues and want to write about real crap, to be the ones who are owning magazines."

Whether this is a genuine opinion or a marketing tactic I dont know, because I'm pretty sure the new album appeals to people who are fans of the bands they describe. But I was pleased, despite only liking a few UnderOath songs and having witnessed a distinctly average live performance, that they said it.
I'm not the biggest UnderOath fan but, well ****, that makes sense.

Except Thursday were signed to Victory.

I'm guessing he meant Hawthorne Heights and all.
Because light strikes a deal with each coming night.

Well said...but his only flaw lies in his quite blatent hypocrisy after hearing the new album...
^ I haven't heard it but I did wander whether it was going to be a genuine concern of his or just him saying 'Don't listen to them...listen to us!!! We're arty!'.

The fact remains that what he's saying is right, but something needs to be done about it. Talking is a step in the right direction but the world needs action. Musical revolution!
they're only chasing safety could well have been by a band signed to victory. but i have to say that i enjoy the new record, it has times when it harks back to the older days of underoath.
Quote by Jaret Reddick
wake me up when september ends makes me cry evry time!

emos forever
:-(
^ but what can be done? For every person I know that hates Hawthorne Heights, there are at least five other 'fans' in my school. Do I kill them or what?
There is no place else to go
The theater is closed
bands like HH will eventually die out once record sales start to dwindle. but i just feel that once the "scene" starts to change, Victory will only again catch on again.
Quote by Jaret Reddick

emos forever
I respect what he said and I actually like the new album.

I read an interview the other day where a guitarist on warped tour (i think he was from every time i die) saying even though he tends not to show it, the guitarist from Underoath can shred pretty ****ing good so the fact hes one of the guys will some talent among his genre may back him up in his thoery. I like it. Hes got spunk.
Quote by kryptonite22
^ I haven't heard it but I did wander whether it was going to be a genuine concern of his or just him saying 'Don't listen to them...listen to us!!! We're arty!'.

The fact remains that what he's saying is right, but something needs to be done about it. Talking is a step in the right direction but the world needs action. Musical revolution!

I haven't really listened to it enough to comment properly, but it's ohkay, some poppy elements, some old Underoath elements.

Geoff Rickley from afore mentioned respectable magazine:

" Personally I don't want entertainment - I'm fucking sick of entertainment. I want something to believe in."

I had the whole quote typed out, including him talking about bands basically being boybands with guitars, but AOL had to be shitty and mess up.
Quote by the_astronaut

Well said...but his only flaw lies in his quite blatent hypocrisy after hearing the new album...

I beg to differ. The new album is better the their last 2 combined. And really great music.

</opinion>
cats are the best...
Fucking love the new album.

I don't really agree with his Victory Records speech, but kudos on speaking his mind.
Are we not allowed to name names of magazines on this forum? I'd quite like to read that article first hand, is all. Let's play hangman.... How many letters?
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██
████████████████████
██
████████████████████
██████████████████████
Quote by chamberlain k
I beg to differ. The new album is better the their last 2 combined. And really great music.

</opinion>

I didn't say it was worse, just suggested it had no real substance or meaning, but as I say, I'll have to listen more to actually back that up, I've only listened to it once or twice.

I'm guessing the magazine is:

R_CK S_UND.

Wanna buy a vowel?

I think we are allowed to talk about magazines lolz.
they have a point. I absolutely agree with everything that was said. BUT... after listening to their last CD it seems like they're throwing stones from the inside of your screaming little glass houses.

I've only heard good things about the newest cd, though... so I can't wait to hear that.
Banging on a trash can
Drumming on a street light
Quote by the_astronaut

R_CK S_UND.

Wanna buy a vowel?

Give me an "A"... Rack Saund magazine? Must be made by Parvindar Saund's brother

If anyone has this month's Rocksound, then go to the demo review sections If you hadn't guessed from the really subtle sig I have at the moment, my band are in it
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██
████████████████████
██
████████████████████
██████████████████████
I read the demo section actually, congrats on the good review.

And yeah it was Rock Sound. I don't really know why I didn't say. Probably the same reason I once wrote an email in French, but had to use a translator to write it...I do some strange things.

And I read the Geoff Rickly article too (I think was it last month's?), was a good read.
Quote by kryptonite22
And yeah it was Rock Sound. I don't really know why I didn't say.

Maybe to sound mysterious?
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██
████████████████████
██
████████████████████
██████████████████████
Quote by Yakult
Give me an "A"... Rack Saund magazine? Must be made by Parvindar Saund's brother

If anyone has this month's Rocksound, then go to the demo review sections If you hadn't guessed from the really subtle sig I have at the moment, my band are in it

Nice plug

And yeah, the Thursday article was good.

Shame about the amount of crap there was, for example, a four page item on Aiden..
How are they different from the Victory Records label bands?
Atreyu is almost the same exact thing as UnderOath, but with really bad solos.
Hawthorne Heights is the same exact thing as UnderOath, but with more singing.
Someone differentiate for me please?
Taking Back Sunday = Sensitive Hardcore
i can see what he's saying

i can stand underoath more than most victory bands though.
Quote by Jaret Reddick

emos forever
that least someone with a voice said this because he makes a good point and i would say most of us agree with him
It seemed like he just hung out on message boards and read what everyone was saying and just imposed it into the interview.
Quote by emomints
Green day have to be one of the biggest emo bands in the world (and I still love them). Which do you lot think is there most emo song 'coz me and my friend can't decide lol
Quote by J Lock
How are they different from the Victory Records label bands?
Atreyu is almost the same exact thing as UnderOath, but with really bad solos.
Hawthorne Heights is the same exact thing as UnderOath, but with more singing.
Someone differentiate for me please?

It's not necessarily the substance that this guy is talking about, it's more the mindset- the reason the bands exist. They only exist to just pump out music and make money. Underoath are all christian-like and express things like that (bear in mind that I still don't fully agree with his rant... he was probably just dissing them for not being christian or something).

Hawthorne Heights and Underoath shouldn't be used in the same sentence (l0l lyke I juSt dId), and if you've listened to anything other than "They're Only Chasing Safety" (namely their news album), then you would have to be crazy to think they sound the same.

But that's not even the point anyway, he was criticizing the reason they exist.