Jackson DK2M Dinky Pro
http://www.zzounds.com/item--JAC2911005

Ibanez RG1570
http://www.zzounds.com/item--IBARG1570

ESP M-400
http://www.espguitars.com/guitars_m.html

The price range is an issue, my limit has been set to $800.. So we'll see how
it comes out in the end.

Hope to get some good replies from you guys.

Cheers, Thomas.
Rg1570, if the ESP had an OFR it would be great, but it has a liscenesed, and so does the jackson.

Id have to go with the 1570 just because of sheer excellent shredding ability.
RIG
Jackson SL3 Soloist
89' Ibanez RG570
Vader 4x12 Cabinet
Line 6 HD147 Head
6space HEAD/RACK case
Korg DTR1000 Rack Tuner
Furman Power Conditioner
ISP Decimator
Might I just siggest the MH-400? It's supposed to be way better than the M-400, but the same price range.
Demolition hands.... Got 'em!
Try em Out At A Store and see what you like better, personally, from what ive tried jackson is my favorite metal/shred type guitar
schecter c1 hellraiser fr, emgs, ofr, pretty similar to the esps but offical floyd rose
Tunes, gear and other random stuff can be found in my "UG" profile if you click my name
as u saw the LTD M400 has an alder body+emgs 81 (emgs work best with a mahogany body)
the alder body bno so metal wood the mahogany is dark bass wood that why EMGS fit so i say go for a H400 (no floyd rose ) or a MH400 (with floyd rose ) or else for more metal image go for a EX400 (i would buy the EX 400 but my bugdet was low so i added EMGS to my mahogany epiphone (jackson guitars have alder body also +duncan ), i dont recommend the ibanez i had one (i sold it after 6 months)
My Gear:
Ibanez Iron Label 8 string (RGIR28FE)
Schecter Haillraiser C7
Randall RG 1503+ 2x12" V30s
Mooer GE200
thin neck? id reccomend jackson then...all the jackson's i've played have extremely thin necks....they play really fast
Nicks and dents are battle scars...they give a guitar history.

Quote by Homer Simpson
When you think about it, mud is just wet dirt.
i hope i helped and not confused ,any way good luck (something else doe buy a LTD with passive EMG)
My Gear:
Schecter Haillraiser C7
Mooer GE200
Quote by flesh fries
thin neck? id reccomend jackson then...all the jackson's i've played have extremely thin necks....they play really fast

lol, you ever played a prestige ibanez?
RIG
Jackson SL3 Soloist
89' Ibanez RG570
Vader 4x12 Cabinet
Line 6 HD147 Head
6space HEAD/RACK case
Korg DTR1000 Rack Tuner
Furman Power Conditioner
ISP Decimator
no sorry ibanez guitar above 700euro are very good quality but not my taste i prefer a more crunch and not so bassy sound
My Gear:
Schecter Haillraiser C7
Mooer GE200
the ESP or the Jackson. why does every seem to get a hard on from ibanez, they arent that good.
*Two Things To Remember*
1.) You can't spell Slaughter without Laughter

2.) A severed foot is the ultimate stocking stuffer
Thanks guys, you really are the best.

Regarding prices, this is what I've found out:

ESP MH-400 - $950

ESP M-400 - $550

Ibanez RG1570 - $750

Jackson DK2M Dinky Pro - $600

I must say I have never tried a Jackson or ESP, just Ibanez, I once owned
a Ibanez RG560 which was a delight to play, sold it and bought a Gibson Les Paul.
Now, as you already know, I regret and want another one, hehe.

Is the MH-400 worth almost twice as much as the M-400?
Do Ibanez have their own pickups, and how are they?

Does anybody have any comparison of neck material and mm-size
regarding these three brands? Floyd Rose is preferred, so H-400 is
out of the question.
Esp
Proud owner of a Gibby LP Custom and an all-original Vintage '62 Fender Jag

Quote by richwatkinson
Give 10 UGers a rope and ask them to pull. 4 will push, 1 will ask for buttsecks, 2 will tell you get an Ibanez and the last 3 will start complaining about Line6 Spiders.
Still missing a couple of answers, but think I'm going to go for the Ibanez.

I reckon there are lots of retailers on the west coast (LA, San Francisco, Vegas), which
is where I'll be spending most of my time.
Quote by Protestfan
get an ESP man i just bought MH-400 and it ownsssssssssssssssssssssss

KEYWORD: Just.

That means you haven't waited a few months to see if your trem is still working.
Jackson SLSMG Soloist (JB/Jazz)
Roland Micro Cube

Member of UG's gain \/\/hores-pm gpderek09 to join.
Quote by KIMB
the ESP or the Jackson. why does every seem to get a hard on from ibanez, they arent that good.

Because their dead sexy, they play excellently, and have thinner necks and better access then those esps and jacksons, and the trem is 10x better than the one on those 2.

Good choice threadstarter
RIG
Jackson SL3 Soloist
89' Ibanez RG570
Vader 4x12 Cabinet
Line 6 HD147 Head
6space HEAD/RACK case
Korg DTR1000 Rack Tuner
Furman Power Conditioner
ISP Decimator
Ibanez. With a pickup change they ****ing rock. And you can put a good single coil in for cleans. Lace sensor silver kicks ass.
esp LFR's are great. much better than most others. i have the m-100 (for a few years) and it still works like a charm. pluss the m-400 has better construction (neck through) and better pick ups. (the stock ibanez ones WILL need changing)
Quote by ClassicAxe

consider anything derek suggests, He IS a gain VVhore you know
Quote by jj1565
derek, will you go out wt me?

President Gain Whore -group on profile
ESP or Jackson. **** Ibanez. The 400 series or the DK 2 ****s all over an ibanez any day of the week. Oh noes, we don't have hair-thin necks. Jesus christ, wtf? If you guys NEED a neck that thin to play you oughta question your abilities.

The tremelo is negligable, they're hit and miss.. Also you can buy an OFR with the difference in price between the M-400 and the Ibanez 1570.

The arguement has been done before. The only reason anyone should buy an Ibanez is if a: They can't get around the fact that the neck is thicker by a few millimeters and B: they absolutely POSITIVELY have to have an ibanez because it says "Ibanez" on the headstock AKA blind fanboy/eliteism.

The LTD is cheaper.

By alot.

The LTD is the same quality, save the trem, which i'll say ISNT AS GOOD as an ibanez trem, but its still great, liveable, and workable. I used one for about 6 months without any problem.

The LTD has pickups already in it, opposed to the Ibanez needing to switch (and they DO need to be switched)
Last edited by xxgenocide98xx at Jun 16, 2006,
Im gonna go w/ the rg1570, i've got an rg320 n love it, so im guessing the 1570 kills it! I almost got to play one one time at guitarcenter, i remember, i go over and look, amazed, ready to play it, i pick it up, and its a lefty I was very dissappointed, i did look at the neck, to see how thin it was, man was it thin, i think thinner than my ibanez, but i really dont remember
Quote by freddy692000
no sorry ibanez guitar above 700euro are very good quality but not my taste i prefer a more crunch and not so bassy sound

bassy? Are you retarded? The Ibanez 1570 is made of basswood and is far from being bassy, it's very trebly. I have one myself, so don't contradict me.
Thanks for all the replies, guys. I'm going for the Ibanez, not because I'm a fanboi but because based on the reviews I've read and what you guys have written. And I'm also dead sure a Jackson or ESP would have satisfied my needs
Quote by CoreysMonster
bassy? Are you retarded? The Ibanez 1570 is made of basswood and is far from being bassy, it's very trebly. I have one myself, so don't contradict me.

i know they generally sound pretty thin due to lack of wood and rely on high output pickups for the majority of there tone hehehe

*flame suit*
Tunes, gear and other random stuff can be found in my "UG" profile if you click my name
For me, the RG series are ugly. They look too much like the Jumpstart guitars with the metallic paint job and I don't like it. As for the prices, you are very wrong. The MH400 is $660, the M400 is $595, the RG1570 I believe is a little cheaper then that (don't really know), and the Jackson DK2 is about $520. For me, I would go with the ESP just because it has MUCH better pickups than the Ibanez and if you want to change out the trem, then just buy a OFR for around $150-$170 at www.warmoth.com .
Guitars
Agile 3100 CSB
ESP MH400 w/ Trem-Setter
Epi G-310
Applause Acoustic

Amps
1968 Fender Vibrochamp - Great amp, only $100 fixxer-upper
Line 6 Spider II

REMEMBER, ALL TONE IS SUBJECTIVE!
Quote by SGStrummer61
For me, the RG series are ugly. They look too much like the Jumpstart guitars with the metallic paint job and I don't like it. As for the prices, you are very wrong. The MH400 is $660, the M400 is $595, the RG1570 I believe is a little cheaper then that (don't really know), and the Jackson DK2 is about $520. For me, I would go with the ESP just because it has MUCH better pickups than the Ibanez and if you want to change out the trem, then just buy a OFR for around $150-$170 at www.warmoth.com .

Ah crap.. sorry, I posted $550 (I thought it was $549, not $594), but I guess that's why I posted the link. The Ibanez 1570 IS $750 at www.musiciansfriend.com . And the threadstarter was looking into the Jackson DK2M Pro, which is $600 at www.samash.com . But either way, the threadstarter DID decide on the Ibanez.
"When ignorance reigns, life is lost."

Teh Space
Yes I did Maybe I'll test them both if I find them in Las Vegas, which I'm sure I will.
Awesome, I love Ibanez, I'm hoping to get another RG (preferably a higher end model) and I've considered an ESP and a Jackson, actually the exact model as you, the DK2M Pro, but I'm not sure about a maple fingerboard for a metal guitar, I could be wrong though.
"When ignorance reigns, life is lost."

Teh Space
Quote by ndfcartman
but I'm not sure about a maple fingerboard for a metal guitar, I could be wrong though.

If you consider Yngwie Metal (Although he shred's and is Neoclassical) he uses a maple fretboard.
Jackson SLSMG Soloist (JB/Jazz)
Roland Micro Cube

Member of UG's gain \/\/hores-pm gpderek09 to join.
the jackson looks so sweet

but i'd have to say the rg
Quote by Duff_McGee
Masturbate. A lot. Seriously.

<----This is a man
Hi guys, sorry to bump this one but I still haven't decided.

I've spoken to alot of guitar guys around, and they all say that in quality
Ibanez cannot compete with ESP or Jackson when it comes to quality, thus
changing my mind to the ESP MH-400, which almost everyone have recommended
to me. It also looks stunning.

And is the DK2M Dinky Pro the nearest alternative to the MH-400 when it comes to price and performance?

Is the MH-400 a easy-to-play guitar? How is the neck compared to the one on my Les Paul, which imo is too big and slow.

I also tried a Vigier Excalibur which was a DREAM to play on, but unfortunately is costs too much.
Instead of getting an MH-400,
Check out the m-1000
its probably a bit over your budget, but IMO its the best out there at the range (as in, it beats the **** outta an ibanez)
[Founder of the Ibanez S players club.] Pm Me to Join
$1000.. That's alot of money, and a bit more than I had in mind. And is it really that big of a difference? And should I just forget about any Jackson guitar?
Quote by kornfake
...they all say that in quality Ibanez cannot compete with ESP or Jackson when it comes to quality...

What have they been smoking? Don't touch that stuff...

Have you even tried them all? RG1570 is underpriced for the feel and quality it offers. It's only criticism is that you can have it in any colour you want, as long as it's red or blue.

If you really like the LTD, complete with it's awesome versatility of two EMG 81s, and if you're ready to not make the most of your money, go for it, nobody will try to stop you.
Fender Japan Stratocaster Ibanez Pro540 Power Ibanez Pro540 Saber Ibanez 430S Ibanez S540 Charvel LSXIII w/GraphTech Ghost MIDI Parker Fly Artist Ibanez S1220 Mesa F30 Roland GR20 Roland Microcube + IBANEZ TREMS STILL SUCK!
Quote by kornfake
$1000.. That's alot of money, and a bit more than I had in mind. And is it really that big of a difference? And should I just forget about any Jackson guitar?

Well,
In Favor of the M-1000
It's Neck Through (i believe the RG is bolt-on. No?) so it wins there.
Its Alder (the RG is Basswood, and IMO Basswood usually is a lesser wood than Mahogany and alder)
Its got a flame maple top and beautiful finish (note, that it varies, no two guitars are the same)
It's got EMGS (although emg's in alder alone is question-able {I personally like 'em} its 1) got a maple top to even it out and 2) has better pickups than an RG)
24 Fret Bound Neck (compared to RG's plain neck)

In Favor of RG
the RG's Edge Pro is probably about equal, if not better, than the M's OFR.
The rg is made in japan, where the M is made in Korea.
[Founder of the Ibanez S players club.] Pm Me to Join
Page 1 of 2